BC Coilover settings

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-15, 01:59 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default BC Coilover settings

Hey fellas,

I just had my Bc coilovers installed yesterday, and I need some help from the suspension experts.

I bought the BC coilovers extreme drop kit version. With custom 12k/10k SWIFT springs.

I drove back home about 40 miles and the ride was just absolutely garbage, it bounces around a lot. I don't mind the stiffness, I actually like it, but it's just the way the car is bouncing and rocking me up and down with the variation of the road is just driving me nuts.

This is how low it is:

The damping settings were set on Stiffest (hardest) for the front and rear. So that means the car should be less bouncy right?

Only thing tat's on my mind right now, is that the mechanic who did the work might've messed with the pre-load settings on the coilovers. That is what I understood from reading a couple of threads, messed up pre-load settings lead to very bad ride quality. Anybody chime in and confirm on that?

Any help is appreciated thanks!
Old 03-21-15, 02:32 PM
sakoa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stiffest dampening setting will make the car extremely bouncy because the springs are overdampened. You should start from the stiffest setting and back it off one or two clicks at a time until you find the best dampening setting for the springs that you have.

I'm not sure about how bc expects you to set the preload on the springs, but for the most part, any good spring should have absolutely no preoload when there is no weight placed on it. Adding any type of preload leads to a significantly harsher ride. Your mechanic was most likely checking to see if the spring was sitting snug between the perches with the least amount of preload.

Start with the dampening settings. From what you described, I'm pretty sure backing off the dampening will make it ride the way it was designed to. And again, if you have it set on the stiffest setting, you're probably going to have a ridiculously bouncy ride.

Last edited by sakoa; 03-21-15 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-21-15, 03:48 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakoa
Stiffest dampening setting will make the car extremely bouncy because the springs are overdampened. You should start from the stiffest setting and back it off one or two clicks at a time until you find the best dampening setting for the springs that you have. I'm not sure about how bc expects you to set the preload on the springs, but for the most part, any good spring should have absolutely no preoload when there is no weight placed on it. Adding any type of preload leads to a significantly harsher ride. Your mechanic was most likely checking to see if the spring was sitting snug between the perches with the least amount of preload. Start with the dampening settings. From what you described, I'm pretty sure backing off the dampening will make it ride the way it was designed to. And again, if you have it set on the stiffest setting, you're probably going to have a ridiculously bouncy ride.
Sakoa, thanks for taking the time to help with my issue.

My understanding was the opposite, I thought softer damp settings led to a bouncier ride. And stiffer damp settings led to a stiffer ride that wouldn't bounce. But I'm new to the suspension world, thanks for clearing that up.

I changed the front to soft, and hadn't noticed a big difference. Will try to change the rear ones to soft and see how t goes. Will keep you updated. Thanks.
Old 03-22-15, 04:37 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, after reaching for the tears and adjusting them to full soft, the car doesn't bounce anymore! I'm happy about that.

Another thing that I noticed was a clunk noise coming from one of the front coilovers, tires aren't rubbing, it just seems to clunk if I go over an edge.
Sometimes there is also a noise coming from the steering column whenever I steer right or left. The steering wheel noise happens rarely. I would like to know if I need something to be done about it?

Is something wrong with the installation?
Old 03-23-15, 06:12 AM
sakoa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like the instructions that come with the coilovers are often misleading. For the clunk, check to see that the springs are properly seated in the perches, and check the top nut that holds the strut to the top hat. If both are tight, check the bottom bolt that connects to the lower control arm. You shouldn't have any other areas that can cause a clunk
Old 03-23-15, 05:13 PM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I experienced your problem. after several adjustments, i called BC and we had finally came to a decision that i was not getting enough shock movement. We had to drop the spring rates to 8/10 and since i had to change springs i got swift upgrades. The ride is so much better and no more bounce house in the back.

If you need to know how to adjust the pre-load

http://www.bcracing-na.com/tech-videos/

check there.
Old 03-23-15, 11:32 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE:
So I went to Les Schwab and had them take a quick look at what's happening under the car/

It appeared to be one of the end links was very loose, and they fixed it by tightening it. I didn't hear any noises going back home. Hopefully this solved it.

The BC's ride amazing, way better than stock in my opinion. The car doesn't feel like a big Buick floating around anymore. It is much more one piece now, you feel that the chassis has been enforced with titanium :P

Seriously, the car feels much better and much quicker as well. Definitely no more body roll.

Best mod ever.