LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2994 LS430 Navigation Display Replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 11:26 PM
cschull
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004 LS430 Navigation Display Replacement.

I replaced my LCD display with a new display because it had lost it brightness. I used the same manufacturer and part number as the original LCD display. The process went well except for a missing cable connection. On the back of the navigation unit is three connectors but I could only find two cables to plug. All other connectors that I found plugged into all the other receptacles, The is a ML radio unit with, of course navigation.
Is the third receptacle on the back of the navigation unit not used? Also, the new screen is much brighter but looks like an old TV set that needs degaussing. (purple in corners and rainbow colors on center of screen). Anyone have any ideas. Thanks

Last edited by cschull; 04-03-15 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 08:18 AM
VerbalKent
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just spitballing here, but the screen issue may have something to do with the way it was stored...you mentioned the TV scenario, so I'm sure you know that if it was too close to a magnet or something magnetized, the effect you mentioned could be the result of that...as far as the cable issue, the 'extra' one may be for an option that you may not have, like, a back-up camera or something...or it may be for an option specific to another model, but the headunit is shared between yours and the others...again, just spitballing, but I hope it helps...let us know what you find out...
Old 04-03-15, 10:59 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you don't have a UL, it might be the connection coming back from the rear seat controls on the armrest.
Not sure, just an educated guess.

If all works good, then don't worry about it.
Old 04-03-15, 01:21 PM
cschull
Driver School Candidate

You will have to pardon me but what is a "UL"? Also, it is quit possible the new screen was exposed to a magnet. The one I used to retrieve a dropped screw. Can anything be done to undo my magnet incident?
Old 04-03-15, 01:33 PM
cschull
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have a picture showing the rear of the navigation units cable plug connections. I have one smaller connector, the one not connected and to others connected that are about the same size. Maybe picture from a 2004 maintenance manual? I will take a picture of my unit and post it here. Thanks again
Old 04-03-15, 02:03 PM
VerbalKent
Rookie

Originally Posted by cschull
You will have to pardon me but what is a "UL"? Also, it is quit possible the new screen was exposed to a magnet. The one I used to retrieve a dropped screw. Can anything be done to undo my magnet incident?
That would have to be a pretty strong magnet tool, but stranger things have happened...when I responded earlier, I was thinking it may have been stored near a magnet in a parts dept., warehouse, etc. before it even got to you...sometimes people don't realize how sensitive some electronic equipment is, and treat it like it's 'just a radio'...in any event, I have never seen anything that can reverse or fix that condition, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist...when it would happen on monitors or TV's, sometimes time and it being turned off and on through use would make it fade to barely noticeable...sometimes...

Also, my apologies...a UL is an Ultra Luxury model...it's basically an 'all options' LS, plus some that are only on the UL like a rear seat cool box, massage rear seats, etc....it's kinda like a 760iL without all the headaches of actually owning a 760iL

Last edited by VerbalKent; 04-03-15 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 02:10 PM
VerbalKent
Rookie

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
If you don't have a UL, it might be the connection coming back from the rear seat controls on the armrest.
Not sure, just an educated guess.

If all works good, then don't worry about it.
You may be onto something here...I was trying to figure out what would be connected to the screen that would need to 'talk' to something in the back that isn't on an ML...I also agree...if it works, roll with it.
Old 04-06-15, 05:08 PM
cschull
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. I've decided to by a new LS which will solve my problem. thanks again
Old 04-07-15, 05:40 AM
VerbalKent
Rookie

Originally Posted by cschull
Thanks everyone. I've decided to by a new LS which will solve my problem. thanks again
LOL...well, that's one way to fix it...I wanna grow up and be like you

Best of luck on your new purchase!
Old 04-07-15, 09:44 AM
peteyx
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The theory of magnets doesn't work with our screens. A magnet will cause deflection of the electron beam in a cathode ray tube (old TV screen). Our displays are LCD, which are not affected in the same manner. But I like the idea of getting a new LS. One can dream...
Old 04-07-15, 10:30 AM
VerbalKent
Rookie

Originally Posted by peteyx
The theory of magnets doesn't work with our screens. A magnet will cause deflection of the electron beam in a cathode ray tube (old TV screen). Our displays are LCD, which are not affected in the same manner. But I like the idea of getting a new LS. One can dream...
Good point, my apologies to the OP.
Old 04-07-15, 01:22 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

The ML radio unit has an unused port on the back and is used when installing a VisaTech unit. The CD button then toggles between two inputs.
Old 04-09-15, 02:44 PM
VerbalKent
Rookie

Originally Posted by jayclapp
The ML radio unit has an unused port on the back and is used when installing a VisaTech unit. The CD button then toggles between two inputs.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 04-09-15, 03:21 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Atta boy! That's one way to do it, just get a new LS.

Would be really interesting to know the story behind that decision.