LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

02 sensors on 2002 LS 430 What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 08:54 PM
toons
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 sensors on 2002 LS 430 What would you do?

My LS430 needs the sensors replaced. The mechanic replaced 2 but the right one is fused onto the manifold and he said that it will probably break, so I would need to decide if he should try or not. I told him to hold off as if it breaks a manifold and the sensor would be about 1200 to do Lexus says about 2600. But it needs shocks, needs trunk and hood. Plus I hear a clicking sound upon starting in am. I already did the timing belt, just as a precaution. It has 80,000 miles. I just am worried it will become a money pit.
Old 05-15-15, 05:49 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

another option would having to drill another hole, then welding a new o2 bung on.
Old 05-15-15, 06:16 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 117 Posts

How is it fused? Did it rust or something?

I haven't done this on a Lexus and haven't even looked underneath mine yet (just got it a few months ago) but I used to deal with stuck/cross threaded O2 sensors on the new Camaros when I had one. Here is something to try....spray some liquid wrench (I think that was the name but I'm kind of drawing a blank at the moment) on it and let it soak over night. You should be able to get some from you local parts store. Then when you go to try to take it out start up the car for a little bit first to so that it gets kinda hot.That should help it come loose. A little heat around the edges from a torch might help as well.

Also, I'm guessing the mechanic is saying that he thinks the manifold would break? I kind of have a hard time believing that but I guess it's possible. What I would imaging happening is snapping the O2 sensor off or maybe messing up the treads up trying to get it out. If that's the case it might be possible to drill it out and try to tap the threads for a new sensor?

Worst case, what about finding a used manifold from a parts yard. To me that's not something you would have to buy brand new.
Old 05-15-15, 06:54 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by toons
My LS430 needs the sensors replaced. The mechanic replaced 2 but the right one is fused onto the manifold and he said that it will probably break, so I would need to decide if he should try or not. I told him to hold off as if it breaks a manifold and the sensor would be about 1200 to do Lexus says about 2600. But it needs shocks, needs trunk and hood. Plus I hear a clicking sound upon starting in am. I already did the timing belt, just as a precaution. It has 80,000 miles. I just am worried it will become a money pit.
Spray on PB Blaster, let it penetrate, tap it, then more PB Blaster. Let it penetrate for 15 minutes. Then use a torch, even a hand-held pipe sweating type plumbers torch will do. Heat up the area around the threads. Then using the special O2 socket, and a 3/4 socket wrench perhaps with a breaker bar attached, it will come off without breaking. You just need to be patient. I did all of my O2 sensors on my '01 this way ... and I live in the rust belt.
Old 05-15-15, 07:53 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

car-part.com shows a ton of them around California. Most under $200.
Confirm that one's nearby then try with Blaster and a torch. If you fail grab another.
Old 05-15-15, 09:17 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

This doesn't really seem to be adding up.

Are you sure it really needs a sensor? Is it throwing a code? Sometimes people just throw a new O2 sensor at any code before properly diagnosing it. I'm guessing these are the upstream ones before the catalytic converter? They really shouldn't be going out at such low miles.

I had an O2 sensor seize in the exhaust, it was a downstream sensor after the cats. It stripped off the threads of the O2 sensor but it wasn't a big deal. I just basically got a $6.00 O2 threading tool and redid the thread.

I'm not sure if access is the issue though with the one you are talking about, but I definitely think this shouldn't be a big deal even if it has problems coming out. A whole new manifold sounds pretty crazy to me.

I personally would take it somewhere else, I get the feeling you're either dealing with someone that's not a great technician or he's taking you for a ride.
Old 05-15-15, 08:14 PM
toons
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure on the mechanic, he seemed honest, but who knows. He said there was a code he replaced two of the sensors and just stopped when he saw it fused on. He said he could try but the outcome might be the manifold. I really can't work on it as I broke my thumb so I have to depend on someone. I have called around and told them upfront about the situation, most said they wouldn't even try they would just replace the manifold. I really like the car but don't know if i should quit while I'm ahead at this point.
Old 05-15-15, 11:32 PM
mike430
Driver School Candidate

Been through a similar situation, but on my friends Hyundai did the PB blaster, torch technique and got it to turn and come out but the bung was stripped a bit. I used a similar thread chasing tool as shown above and was able to clean them up enough to install the new O2 sensor and even get some tightening torque on it. I used the entire contents of the anti-size that came with it in the hopes that in the future it would ease removal. The suggestions given above have all been good ones even to the worst case of installing a new bung. What part of CA are you in by the way?
Old 05-16-15, 08:06 AM
toons
Driver School Candidate

i'm in Southern ca, San Fernando Valley.
Old 05-16-15, 02:12 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by toons
I am not sure on the mechanic, he seemed honest, but who knows. He said there was a code he replaced two of the sensors and just stopped when he saw it fused on. He said he could try but the outcome might be the manifold. I really can't work on it as I broke my thumb so I have to depend on someone. I have called around and told them upfront about the situation, most said they wouldn't even try they would just replace the manifold. I really like the car but don't know if i should quit while I'm ahead at this point.
So many "mechanics" today have no patience (or even ingenuity or desire) to find a solution other than easy replacement of parts you don't need. If you resided near me, I'd replace the O2 for you in my garage.