LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Remanufactured brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 06:39 AM
schwaz80
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remanufactured brake calipers

Anyone here use reman'ed brake calipers or can recommend a brand?

I believe my calipers need to be rebuilt and I don't really have the time to do so.
Old 06-02-15, 06:51 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

The parts are available to rebuild the OEM calipers. Consider having a shop rebuild your OEM calipers.
Old 06-02-15, 10:23 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

What are the signs when you need to work on the caliper pistons? I am getting a grunting sound on both front sides at very slow braking. Brake performance is not affected. I thought maybe the pads were sticking due to grime and buildup but after turning the rotors and replacing the front pads it did not cure it. I was also thinking about the caliper pistons but it only happens when at a dead stop and you release the brake or if you are at a drive through and you are on and off the brake. The other thought was maybe the non replaceable lower arm bushings are shot. Any thoughts?
Old 06-02-15, 10:51 AM
ZanderZ32
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have a shop rebuild the OEM ones on your car. Its a rather simple job.
Old 06-02-15, 11:03 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
What are the signs when you need to work on the caliper pistons? I am getting a grunting sound on both front sides at very slow braking. Brake performance is not affected. I thought maybe the pads were sticking due to grime and buildup but after turning the rotors and replacing the front pads it did not cure it. I was also thinking about the caliper pistons but it only happens when at a dead stop and you release the brake or if you are at a drive through and you are on and off the brake. The other thought was maybe the non replaceable lower arm bushings are shot. Any thoughts?
Lav, I saw your earlier post too where you mentioned that you turned the rotors. I'm not a fan of turning the rotors on the LS - other CL members agree. If they're not warped, just new pads. When the rotors are worn from brake pads, then I replace the rotors and pads. This may be (likely is) the source of the groan noise when braking. Consider giving it some time now to see if the grunting noise dissipates. (It is not the non-replaceable other LCA bushing.)

When you did the brake job, did you spray any brake cleaner into the area inside and around the caliper piston to clean out the collected brake dust and debris? (This is not the source of your grunt noise though.)
Old 06-02-15, 02:13 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I had Lexus of South Atlanta do the work. The rotors had never been turned before (130k) and I would get a little bit of pulsating at high speed braking and there was a bit of lip on the edge. Brakes feel great and no pulsating. When I spoke to the master tech about it he just said it was the nature of the brakes but it did not make such noise when I purchased the car about 3 years ago. It's not a big deal just kind of annoying.
Old 06-02-15, 02:28 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I had Lexus of South Atlanta do the work. The rotors had never been turned before (130k) and I would get a little bit of pulsating at high speed braking and there was a bit of lip on the edge. Brakes feel great and no pulsating. When I spoke to the master tech about it he just said it was the nature of the brakes but it did not make such noise when I purchased the car about 3 years ago. It's not a big deal just kind of annoying.
The noise may go away after awhile. I had my rotors turned only 1 time and wasn't happy with the brake travel, grunt noise like you have and general feel. Some guys take off too much of the rotor face when they turn them. At 130K, since I DIY brakes, I would replace the rotors rather than turn them. For the cost of the turn vs. new, it's just not worth it to me.
Old 06-02-15, 11:53 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a remanu'd caliper on a side. No issues. Used the local o'reilys and had the part in about a day.
Old 06-19-15, 08:54 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I wanted to update and correct some information. I was under the impression that my rotors had not been turned before. Well, after closer inspection on Lexus Drivers service history I was totally wrong. They had been turned 3 times before in the front and twice in the back. That makes it 4 times for the front now. This is probably the reason why I am getting the grunting sound in that condition. I am sure Lexus of South Atlanta would have told me if there were out of spec and tried to sell me new rotors. Next brake job I will replace all 4 rotors.
Old 06-19-15, 12:37 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If you don't have pulsation issues in the brake pedal or steering wheel when applying brakes, my advice is just leave the rotors alone and just replace the pads.

If you want to be super **** you can always replace both, some people prefer this, but in my experience I've done well when just replacing the pads and my brakes are still smooth as glass.
Old 06-19-15, 01:05 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I was getting some pulsating at high speed braking and there was a little lip which is why I had the fronts turned. Still get the grunting or like a grabbing under certain condition as I release the brakes at slow speeds. Seems to be a little worse in hot dry weather.