LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Satellite Radio for the 2005 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 01:13 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Decisions, decisions - VAIS SoundLinQ or the OEM tuner...?

This question is more for Tom57 and PeteyX, and anyone else that has retrofitted their LS430 with SiriusXM:

What made you decide to go with the VAIS SoundLinQ or with the OEM tuner (part #86120-AA150)?

As Tom57 points out, 86120-AA150's are plentiful on eBay at ~$100 (plus the antenna/wiring), and the VAIS SoundLinQ is ~$249.
Based soley on $$$, OEM is the way to go, but I see quite a few posts from those that have installed the VAIS SoundLinQ.
I know that the VAIS SoundLinQ also includes an iPod connection - aside from that, does it offer any other advantages over the OEM solution?

So for those that have compared the two, what are the pros/cons of each solution and how did you make your choice?

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 06-26-15 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 02:40 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

PerryinLA, I didn't seriously consider the VaisTech XM SoundLinQ product since I already have the VaisTech MML integration unit for both streaming as well as stored music. Before I made my choice for satellite though, I did contact VaisTech and was advised that the the SoundLinQ could be connected in a daisy chain with the VaisTech MML. *Note that the SoundLinQ is actually $309 (not $249) since you would need the satellite tuner. Not sure why the separate pricing for the interface kit without tuner. I cannot confirm that the SoundLinQ has an iPod connection.

My needs really made the decision for me. Satellite radio complements the audio capability I already have. I use satellite for MLB games and when I'm travelling out of state - not for music due to lesser quality compared to the MML. I DIY most car projects so the OEM XM install was a no-brainer (despite the appearance of complicated multi-page installation directions). I was aware the XM signal could have interruptions, so I tried to get the best XM antenna currently available and I didn't want the ugly satellite antenna prominently mounted on the corner trunk lid where Lexus dealers were placing them 10 - 11 years ago. So, for about $125 and DIY install, I have XM capability as an OEM accessory. Of course, it works seemlessly with the "SAT" button on the OEM radio, whereas the MML works well with the "DISC" button on the OEM radio too, emulating as "MD". (As a footnote, I just ordered another VaisTech MML for the newest '06 - a recent acquisition.)

I read the many threads and know that many folks here abhor satellite radio due to the low sound quality and instead stream music through Pandora, etc. (I do that too through the VaisTech MML.) However, there is certain programming on XM that is neither generally nor easily available via streaming.

Last edited by Tom57; 06-26-15 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-28-15, 09:54 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Tom and I fully agree SiriusXM offers a lot of unique audio content.

I don't think I'll be lucky enough to only spend $125 on parts, though - not one of the 86120-AA150's on sale on eBay come with that 5-connector tuner cable ("2A" in the PDF).
Maybe I'll just have to be patient and one will come up for sale with the needed cable.

But unless I luck out and find a supplier that includes that cable, I'll have to get it elsewhere and it doesn't look cheap, especially if I can only get that from a dealer.

Can I get that cable elsewhere, or only from a dealer?
If the latter, does anyone know the part #?
Old 06-28-15, 10:53 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Perry, I'll check to see if I kept my parts list for this DIY install. I know I researched and tracked down parts numbers for each item with help from my parts manager at Lexus.
Old 09-21-15, 12:58 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
Thanks Tom and I fully agree SiriusXM offers a lot of unique audio content.

I don't think I'll be lucky enough to only spend $125 on parts, though - not one of the 86120-AA150's on sale on eBay come with that 5-connector tuner cable ("2A" in the PDF).
Maybe I'll just have to be patient and one will come up for sale with the needed cable.

But unless I luck out and find a supplier that includes that cable, I'll have to get it elsewhere and it doesn't look cheap, especially if I can only get that from a dealer.

Can I get that cable elsewhere, or only from a dealer?
If the latter, does anyone know the part #?
The Lexus part number for the interface cable kit for the XM satellite radio accessory is PT546-50040-CK. The cable allows connection into the OEM sound system of the XM satellite tuner #86120-AA150. The cable may be in short supply through Lexus. Otherwise, if you want OEM, you'd have to obtain the interface cable through a recycler also selling the satellite tuner.
Old 08-08-18, 12:01 PM
POAJR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad OEM antenna

I have one of those ugly OEM block satellite antennas that mount is mounted on the driver side trunk. It has stopped working. Does anyone know the easiest way to replace it and with what?