Old 06-25-15, 02:39 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
1. S Class

2. A8
3/4 (tie) 7 Series/LS460

That may change if Lexus delivers a homerun with the new LS460, but from the rumors I've been hearing, I'm not optimistic.
The new 2016 7 Series looks really good, actually. I'd put it on par with the A8. But yes, the S-Class is unchallenged really.
Old 06-25-15, 02:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I have had several Lexus sales folks tell me they have a waiting list of folks looking for cream puff LS430s to come in on trade.
This is absolutely true. I spent well over a year looking for an '04 LS430. I suppose I got extremely lucky, because after I had about given up searching left and right, I randomly found exactly what I was looking for (minus the gorgeous 18" rims): A no-nav, Premium package creampuff '04 LS with 75k. Said car was even at a lot where my uncle was one of the big wigs so I got a killer deal. Got the car for $16,900 back in '12, when the list price was nearly 25k. Guess I lucked out!

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
When a good one comes in they disappear in a hurry.
This is also spot-on. The Lexus SA in Knoxville told me the 430 is by far the best/most popular LS and that "If you traded this car today, it would be gone by day's end." I relocated to Los Angeles and the Beverly Hills SA told me the same thing, and then I even got an offer in the mail from them wanting to buy my car--for a good chunk of change more than blue book value.

I feel honestly that the LS430 was probably the last Lexus (and certainly the last LS model) that was truly special (minus the LF-A). The 430 was the absolute epitome of what Lexus used to stand for (pure, absolute luxury, plain and simple), and back then, Lexus was at the top of its game and hit it out of the park with the 430.
Old 06-25-15, 03:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

This is my .02 and is no way meant to be argumentative nor disrespectful:

Originally Posted by SW15LS

As for it being "shameful" for Lexus, thats silly.
No, it's not. The LS went from being class-leading to an also-ran. Considering that the LS was the car that completely knocked the luxury car market on it's a$$ back in the day, established the brand while utterly embarrassing MB, BMW, Jaguar, etc, and went down in the books as one of the greatest cars ever engineered, it's a little disappointing that the current successor has been lackluster.

Lexus is a very different company now than it was in 2004,
True, but in 2004 Lexus was near, if not, tops. Does anyone remember how back in the 90s and early/mid 00s how many current LSs were on the road? They were ALL OVER THE PLACE. Now, even here in car-crazed LA, I rarely see new 460s.

and the LS is a very different car to that company.
It shouldn't be. The flagship model should be the most lust-worthy of the brand, and everything else should be its baby brother, just how the hierarchy is in, say, an S-Class vs. E-Class vs. C-Class, 7 series vs. 5 series vs. 3 series, etc.

When people think about Lexus, they don't think about the LS anymore.
They should. When I think Mercedes, I think S-Class first.

Lot of different reasons for that, but the biggest one is the decline of the large luxury sedan as a whole.
The biggest reason is that the current LS has lost its luster and is such an old car, and that the competition is fiercer (and newer) than ever.

I don't know what you're referring to about the "decline of the large luxury sedan", bc I can't drive a mile down the street without seeing about 20 S-Classes or 7-Series. Granted, I live in a very hip part of LA, but still.

The direction Lexus is moving takes them away from what the LS has always been. Its not as important a car to them as it used to be.
That, right there, is the whole problem.
Old 06-25-15, 07:21 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Ha!!!!! reminds me of an old tire thread........good points by all.......learned a few things by reading the thread..........SW15 is still the voice of reason......I dont really have a pony in this race......but I bought my 430 because I used to love driving my friends/boss's 430 when he had a bit too much to drink....which sadly was often...but thats a whole other story. After his 430 he got a 460.....well he was still drinkin' so I was still driving .......I liked the 460.....I would say a little sportier....that same rocketship feel of acceleration......my only knock on the 460 was the console was so big it felt like u were in a cockpit...and it sort of cramped the passengers foot/leg room......other then that I bought the 430 because at the time thats the one I could afford....and thats the one that realllllllllly catches my eye.
Old 06-25-15, 07:46 PM
Pwrov1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the share! I enjoyed watching the video. Makes me love my LS430 that much more.
Old 06-25-15, 11:08 PM
Dockof-bay
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwrov1
Thanks for the share! I enjoyed watching the video. Makes me love my LS430 that much more.
No problem,

I find it a little funny that all i wanted to do was share a cool video from youtube, and it turned into a 430 vs 460 thread
Old 06-26-15, 12:55 AM
Pwrov1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dockof-bay
No problem,

I find it a little funny that all i wanted to do was share a cool video from youtube, and it turned into a 430 vs 460 thread
I just went back and read each posting in this thread. Wow lol. First off, I am not going to say how much better my car is than the 460 because I am new to the LS world and have little knowledge there. I can say I have heard through much research that the LS430 is about the best Lexus has produced. With that said, here is some background on my car:

I wasn't even looking for an LS430 when I bought my car. I have loved them since I worked for Carmax and laid my eyes on a pearl white one that I drove on the lot back in 2006. I was only 22 years old then and I already knew that was the best engineered luxury car with so much attention to detail I had ever sat in. I was looking for another 03-04 Toyota Avalon as I had in 2009 when I ran across my creampuff of an LS430 with 78K miles and in my favorite color on them, pearl white. It didn't have a scratch on it sitting on the showroom floor. It looked like a brand new car. It was then that I knew I had to have it! I tried to work a deal but the dealer wouldn't budge on this car. They had only had it a week and they said they were surprised it had lasted that long. Now I have come from owning MANY BMW's including 3 series, 5 series (M5), and even a 740i M-Sport, Mercedes-Benz C-class with the supercharged 6 speed which was a FUN car. But NOTHING can compare to this Lexus. I have only had the car a month but I could not be happier with it. Words cannot describe this car and the ear to ear grin I have on my face every time I get in it! My friends all think it will be gone in a couple months like every other car I get. I trade cars like I change my socks haha! But I believe I have finally found the car that will prove them all wrong. I have thought, where can I go from such a beautiful, refined car such as this one? At 29 years old I have been fortunate to own some of the very cars I grew up only dreaming about but this car has taken me by surprise. As far as reliability, comfort, and styling, any other car I can think of would just be a downgrade. After only a month of ownership I know if I ever sold this car, I would live to truly regret it. Sorry for the long post, I got a little carried away! Hmm...3am, think I'll go take the Lexus out for a spin haha

Last edited by Pwrov1; 06-26-15 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-26-15, 11:48 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Nicely put PWROV....sounds like you are living the good life. One other thing that is nice about the 430.....is that after you have owned it for a while and it starts to bore u a bit.....you can do some tasteful mods to the car and re-enjoy all over again. Mine always makes me feel like I have upgraded to first class.....great car.
Old 06-26-15, 03:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I just went back and read each posting in this thread. Wow lol. First off, I am not going to say how much better my car is than the 460 because I am new to the LS world and have little knowledge there. I can say I have heard through much research that the LS430 is about the best Lexus has produced. With that said, here is some background on my car:

I wasn't even looking for an LS430 when I bought my car. I have loved them since I worked for Carmax and laid my eyes on a pearl white one that I drove on the lot back in 2006. I was only 22 years old then and I already knew that was the best engineered luxury car with so much attention to detail I had ever sat in. I was looking for another 03-04 Toyota Avalon as I had in 2009 when I ran across my creampuff of an LS430 with 78K miles and in my favorite color on them, pearl white. It didn't have a scratch on it sitting on the showroom floor. It looked like a brand new car. It was then that I knew I had to have it! I tried to work a deal but the dealer wouldn't budge on this car. They had only had it a week and they said they were surprised it had lasted that long. Now I have come from owning MANY BMW's including 3 series, 5 series (M5), and even a 740i M-Sport, Mercedes-Benz C-class with the supercharged 6 speed which was a FUN car. But NOTHING can compare to this Lexus. I have only had the car a month but I could not be happier with it. Words cannot describe this car and the ear to ear grin I have on my face every time I get in it! My friends all think it will be gone in a couple months like every other car I get. I trade cars like I change my socks haha! But I believe I have finally found the car that will prove them all wrong. I have thought, where can I go from such a beautiful, refined car such as this one? At 29 years old I have been fortunate to own some of the very cars I grew up only dreaming about but this car has taken me by surprise. As far as reliability, comfort, and styling, any other car I can think of would just be a downgrade. After only a month of ownership I know if I ever sold this car, I would live to truly regret it. Sorry for the long post, I got a little carried away! Hmm...3am, think I'll go take the Lexus out for a spin haha
Lol, you sound *exactly* like me when I got mine years ago. You find you love the car more and more as you own it longer. I also used to just get in and drive for no reason. The 430 is impressive as all-get-out at first, but you'll fall more and more in love with it as time goes on and keep noticing how well-engineered it is. Gongrats on the car and welcome to CL!
Old 06-26-15, 09:49 PM
Pwrov1
Rookie

Thanks guys! I plan on ordering a set of 1" Tanabe springs and some 18" GS 5 spoke wheels for it. Just tinted the windows and that made a huge difference! So excited about this car. I only drive it on my days off work so I don't rack up extra miles. It sure is hard to look at it in the garage as I drive my truck to work lol.
Old 06-27-15, 07:52 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 425 Likes on 349 Posts
Smile

I felt the same way when I bought my 05 LS430. As much fun as it was to drive my modded SC, I always chose to drive the LS. I couldn't wait to drive it to work or school.

Then I got new wheels and a few other mods. I let my other cars sit for a long time after I modded the LS. It was too much fun to drive. Even with my 20 inch wheels it still drives very smooth.
Old 06-27-15, 08:05 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

One of my customers had me do a wash and wax job on their LS460, which I usually do at my house, and I was really impressed with it. Here are a few things I noticed on this 08 LS460:
-It seemed like it had much more power than the LS430 despite being a heavier car
-There was tons of technology in the car. For a car that wasn't even the highest package, it had most of the features of my LS430 UL
-The car rode insanely smooth, even with 20 inch Vossen wheels on it. The ride was very close to my LS430's

I really liked the LS460 and was very impressed with it. However I preferred my LS430 UL over it and couldn't wait to get it back. I don't have that many negative things to say about the car to be honest. It seems like the LS460 is just a totally different car than the previous LS'. I would gladly own one, preferably a 2010 or newer, but I would never trade either of my LS430's for it. The LS430 is a better car in my opinion as it seems like a higher quality car.
Old 06-27-15, 08:10 AM
Dockof-bay
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the others have said, i'm guilty of just driving around for no reason at one in the morning Tastefully updating your ride, is for me, making it look more current. When people see my 05 they have to ask, what year is it?

Last edited by Dockof-bay; 06-27-15 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-27-15, 08:14 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

With Maybach gone, it seems like the new S-Class is on a level above the LS, 7 Series, and A8. From what I've seen, it seems closer to a Bentley or something of that level.

The S-Class seemed pretty even with the LS for all these years, outside of the AMG and V12 S600. Even the 7 Series offered a V12, but they all seemed quite even, and each car had it's strengths and weaknesses. It's crazy how nice the new S-Classes are. I've seen the refreshed LS460's and was blown away, but Mercedes somehow out did that. I just think they look uglier than the previous W221, W220, W140, and W126 models. Something about it just looks weird to me.

I'm curious to see what Lexus will do with the next LS. I'd love to see them bring the Toyota Crown and Century over to the U.S. but I doubt that will ever happen.
Old 07-02-15, 07:24 AM
2jzism
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dockof-bay

Thank you for sharing that great video, man I remember seeing that on speedvision a long time ago (how I miss speedvision). I remember seeing this video and even back then I was lusting over the LS430, hell even to this day. There is no question as how well engineered the LS430 is and this is why I would love to come back to being a Lexus owner my problem is convincing the wife its a good deal since its a 9-10 year old car, even though my current 2010 Hyundai Genesis Sedan is in and out of the shop every other month ( I've never had car have so many machanical problems) my only saving grace is that I've got a bumper to bumper till 100K or 10 years it was a CPO car. Being in South FLA I see them on the lots all day long in the 60-80K milage range hell I even placed a deposit on a 2006 UL with 38K but had to walk from the deal after to wife was like your crazy your paying 22K for a car that is 9 years old.

Maybe something will come across that is in low miles and at a good deal. My other problem is that I'm only looking into black interior cars, as the weather and rain in south florida is brutal on tan interiors.

Quick Reply: Speed Channel video on the early LS430