LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

05 ls430 rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-15, 01:58 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by my3uzfe
Alright... I'm digging this post back from the grave because it's the same issue. Only now it's slowly getting worse. And there are new symptoms. Same as before the idle is rough when warm. The car feels like it lacks a little power on slight inclines. And most recently, shifting is becoming rough in the higher gears. (Holding 5th longer shifting rough into 6th) So all of that being said, I've done my share of reading on here and like posted earlier in this thread it sounds like one of the oil control valves for the vvt is on its way out, it just hasn't triggered the MIL yet. all of my symptoms match another post describing how the car runs when they fail. Mine are just less severe. So I have the Toyota part numbers left 153400F010 and right 153300F010. And the Dorman equivalent 917-293 and 917-292 respectively. So I'm prepared to shell out the money to replace them ahead of time 1 to avoid having it fail on a long trip and 2 I want my Lexus to run like a Lexus. While I'm at it I thought I would clean the filter screens for the oil control valves.... where the *@^$*# are they? I've searched and searched and the closest I got was a thread on here for a 98 ls 400 where it's under a cam bearing cap.... under the valve cover. Please for the love of all that is good tell me they weren't dumb enough to design our generation the same way. I'm hoping it's behind a bolt cover near the solenoid. But I need someone with experience to direct me the right way. Thanks for the help.
On the 3UZ-FE, if there are any screens, they're not located just below the OCV's where some diagrams show them. I replaced both OCV's a year ago, and never cleaned or replaced any screens. If you've kept up with oil changes, don't sweat about the screens (if, in fact, they exist).
Old 12-22-15, 02:22 PM
my3uzfe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I may ask, what prompted you to change yours? Similar symptoms or check engine light? And I called my local lexus dealer and they said the screens don't exist either, however napa has parts diagrams and shows it inside the valve cover. I'm just hoping it's wrong.
Old 12-22-15, 02:28 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If you haven't performed a smoke test to find vacuum leaks I would urge you to do so now. You will be surprised how cracks in hoses or deteriorating gaskets can allude a visual inspection.

Old 12-22-15, 02:34 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If the car has had a rough idle since you bought I would pull each spark plug and check the gap and condition. One time after installing spark plugs in a Mustang I discovered later that I bent one of the spark plug ends while installing and had a very small gap.
Old 12-22-15, 02:52 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

If I may ask, what prompted you to change yours? Similar symptoms or check engine light? And I called my local lexus dealer and they said the screens don't exist either, however napa has parts diagrams and shows it inside the valve cover. I'm just hoping it's wrong.
I had MIL codes. See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...g-at-stop.html and https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...lfunction.html and https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...and-so-on.html

What is your symptom? Did you do something that may have caused it?
Old 12-22-15, 04:15 PM
my3uzfe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tom57

I haven't done anything to cause it. It's been an ongoing problem since I got the car in may. Since then I've only put 6000 miles on it so I'm not making the problem worse quick. It's a slow progression. The main symptom is the one I originally complained about which is the rough idle. It's worse when warm. And seems to go along with the other complaints people have when they finally get the code for one of the oil control valves. And the idle has gone downhill since march. I've cleaned the MAF twice. Changed the air filter. Changed the water temp sensor. All seemed to have made things a little better early on, but the idle never got perfect. In moments it idles like a sewing machine. Quiet smooth, and in other moments it idles like a a v8 from the 80s (a little gritty rough around the edges) and all of this will come and go while sitting parked for a decent period of time. Like now I'm typing this while sitting at a restaurant waiting to meet my wife. The rough idle has come and gone several times over the last 20 minutes. The newer symptoms are feeling like it's lacking power under very slight throttle. Like cruising on the highway doing 60 barely touching the gas. When I come to the slightest incline it won't hold speed. I have to give it a little motivation with the peddle for the slightest hill. Almost like something is holding the car back. And then other moments I'm off the peddle almost running people down like it has more power than it knows what to do with. In the moments when it feels like it's lacking it shifts rougher into 6th like it just doesn't have the torque to keep up. And if I take off from a dead stop and climb a decent hill it will shift 1st second 3rd bogg SLIGHTLY and go back to second like it changed its mind. But if i run it peddle down it runs like a raped ape. I just don't get it. I'm almost hoping for the check engine light so I can be done with it. It feels like it's going to be soon.
Old 12-22-15, 07:18 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

I see that you've cleaned the throttle body. Have you considered / tested the throttle position sensor ("TPS"). The varying / changing speeds that you describe are classic symptoms of a faulty throttle position sensor. How many miles on the car? Oil control valves typically last well-over 100K miles, possibly over 200K+ miles as with my '01. Also, the OCVs typically throw a MIL code. Check this thread regarding rough idle & hesitation. Turns out it was the TPS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...itation-2.html

Last edited by Tom57; 12-22-15 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-23-15, 08:05 AM
my3uzfe
Driver School Candidate

I see that you've cleaned the throttle body. Have you considered / tested the throttle position sensor ("TPS"). The varying / changing speeds that you describe are classic symptoms of a faulty throttle position sensor. How many miles on the car? Oil control valves typically last well-over 100K miles, possibly over 200K+ miles as with my '01. Also, the OCVs typically throw a MIL code. Check this thread regarding rough idle & hesitation. Turns out it was the TPS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...itation-2.html
the car currently only has 80,000 miles on it. so I understand your reasoning with thinking its not the OCV's. the last time I looked at the throttle body is when I cleaned it. I wasn't aware the car had a separate throttle position sensor? I thought because it's drive by wire it did not. or that the throttle position sensor is built in to the drive by wire actuator. am I incorrect on this? because if I am then I believe you may be on to something. I previously owned a Hyundai Tiburon which had similar symptoms and it was the TPS. (before anyone asks I did clean the throttle body properly. I did not force the throttle plate open. I left the ignition in the on position and laid a concrete block on the gas peddle to hold it open so I could clean it.) when I was done I gently tried wiggling the throttle plate to make sure it didn't have play in the gears that operate it. I have a code reader which can graph live sensor values. I did notice that when I barely touch the gas peddle both gas peddle sensors changed slightly but the COMMAND THROTTLE POSITION (computer) and THROTTLE POSITION ACTUAL (TPS) values did not change until I pressed the peddle further. i cannot graph the COMAND and ACTUAL positions at the same time, so I do not know if they are agreeing with each other.
Old 12-23-15, 08:11 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

I wasn't aware the car had a separate throttle position sensor? I thought because it's drive by wire it did not. or that the throttle position sensor is built in to the drive by wire actuator. am I incorrect on this? because if I am then I believe you may be on to something.
The 3UZ-FE definitely has a separate TPS mounted on the throttle body. It's a quick & easy and inexpensive DIY.
Old 12-23-15, 10:00 AM
my3uzfe
Driver School Candidate

The 3UZ-FE definitely has a separate TPS mounted on the throttle body. It's a quick & easy and inexpensive DIY.
sweet! Thank you my friend! last question, do any of you have a part number so I can grab it from Sewell? and do you know what percentage its supposed to read when closed so I can set up the new one? I know a lot of people do it by resistance reading on a multi-meter but if I can do it with a live reading through the obdii port it would make setup a breeze.
Old 12-23-15, 10:04 AM
my3uzfe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
you can check your idle throttle open percentage using Techstream - spec is 14.4-16%.

ok so I found that back on page one. but what should it be when setting up the new sensor?
Old 12-23-15, 10:06 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...modelYear=2004

# 8945230150 > appears to be the same through all 430 model years.
Old 12-23-15, 10:08 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

ok so I found that back on page one. but what should it be when setting up the new sensor?
It's plug and done. There's no adjustment.
Old 12-23-15, 11:01 AM
my3uzfe
Driver School Candidate

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...modelYear=2004

# 8945230150 > appears to be the same through all 430 model years.
i looked on the lexus southland web page link and it shows the sensor is used from 01-04...? i did some digging on their site and can't find one thats specific to 05 and 06. so just to be safe i called the local dealer and after being on hold for a while they told me its not a part they can order, that they have to order the whole throttle body? normally i would just call bs on this but they forgot to put me on hold so i could hear them talking in the background and several people seemed baffled. they could see it on the parts diagram but theres no part number.
Old 12-23-15, 12:00 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

i looked on the lexus southland web page link and it shows the sensor is used from 01-04...? i did some digging on their site and can't find one thats specific to 05 and 06. so just to be safe i called the local dealer and after being on hold for a while they told me its not a part they can order, that they have to order the whole throttle body? normally i would just call bs on this but they forgot to put me on hold so i could hear them talking in the background and several people seemed baffled. they could see it on the parts diagram but theres no part number.
I see that now. I entered only 2001 and 2004, not knowing your model year. I don't have any more info other than to say that the '04 - '06 are the same engine/throttle, and you can see that the TPS part # I gave you fits 74 different variations of Lexus engines, years, models, etc. I would have to believe that the same TPS part for the '01 - '04 fits '05 - '06. Check the TPS on your vehicle for a part #.

Quick Reply: 05 ls430 rough idle