LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How to do a zero point calibration via Techstream

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-15 | 02:12 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Default How to do a zero point calibration via Techstream

My dealer apparently does not do this after a front alignment even though the technical manual says you should. I would not of known about this if RKW did not mention it, thank you. It's rather simple really. Make sure you are parked on level ground and the car is not moving. Do not shake or move the vehicle during the procedure.

Turn car on and connect to the vehicle. Enter into the ABS/VSC/TRAC computer:

Select Utility on the left:

Select Reset Memory:

Follow prompts:

When finished, turn car off for 3 seconds and back on and you are all done.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-25-15 at 06:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lavrishevo:
bjchilds1 (02-14-22), coug66 (10-06-17), JaVaid (02-04-20)
Old 06-25-15 | 06:43 PM
ZanderZ32
Pit Crew

Just did this thank you sir!
Old 07-27-16 | 04:46 PM
GaryB
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for posting this! I performed it on my 2004 4Runner (yes, we also have a Lexus). I wanted to add one more step that I had to,do,to get it to work.

i followed the above procedure to reset memory, I performed it with ignition on but engine off. I then performed the next item in the list, "Test Mode". This actually did the zero point calibration. The VSC and ABS lights rapidly flashed for quite a while while the calibration took place. After that, the VSC error lights stayed off.

thanks again.

bangdangvn (05-20-23), Juggis80 (03-11-23)
Old 07-30-16 | 07:29 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
My dealer apparently does not do this after a front alignment even though the technical manual says you should. I would not of known about this if RKW did not mention it, thank you. It's rather simple really. Make sure you are parked on level ground and the car is not moving. Do not shake or move the vehicle during the procedure.

Turn car on and connect to the vehicle. Enter into the ABS/VSC/TRAC computer:

Select Utility on the left:

Select Reset Memory:

Follow prompts:

When finished, turn car off for 3 seconds and back on and you are all done.
I know this has been done before, but I thought I'd close up this thread with the manual method (no Techstream). This way
we have a thread with both methods.

1) Go to a level ground, park the car and turn it off. Put the car in park.
2) Uncurl a paperclip and stick each end in one of the two pins shown in the OBD II connector under the dash.
3) Turn the key until the interior accessories come on, but don't start the car.
4) Wait until you see the "VSC" and "TEST" text in the display on the dash. Leave it for a minute or two just to be safe.
5) Turn off the interior accessories with the key.
6) Start the car and verify that the "Check VSC" message for zero point calibration has been cleared (You will probably need a Techstream or Advanced OBD code reader with ABS capability to see the actual error message for zero point calibration).
7) Drive and make sure it's been cleared.

Did this in the parking lot of my work after repairing the ABS wiring harnesses of my car and it worked like a charm.

Pin locations are shown in the attached pic.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Zero_Point_Calibration.bmp (57.7 KB, 2794 views)

Last edited by Arcturus; 07-30-16 at 07:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bjchilds1 (02-14-22)
Old 08-01-16 | 10:30 PM
nedear168
Driver School Candidate

Thanks the above folks Lavrishevo and GaryB's input, I did this tonight clear the memory but didn't do the "Test Mode", once I back up the car the "TRAC OFF" ,"CHECK VSC"and "RED TRIANGLE" is all on. I check there's a stored DTC "Zero point calibration deceleration not set, undone", I cleared the code with my Techstream software and test drive again, same code came back once I back out the car from garage.

So...I dig in the thread again and THANKS GaryB's notation, turn out the "TEST MODE" IS the calibration mode for the ABS/VSC?TRAC after the memory cleared, once calibrated...the DTC automatically cleared and no message appeared driving around. AWESOME.

I just did the all wheels alignment for my newly purchased (1.5+ month old LS430), the selling Lexus dealer replaced the lower tie rod end and did a crappy alignment, the front L/R toe have a -70 toe setting, max negative toe is -0.08 but it's almost 10 times out of range...what a shame Lexus dealer tech, luckily my brother is an ASE master tech for Honda and he knows how to properly set alignment on Toyota/Lexus cars.
Juggis80 (03-11-23)
Old 08-03-16 | 06:55 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nedear168
Thanks the above folks Lavrishevo and GaryB's input, I did this tonight clear the memory but didn't do the "Test Mode", once I back up the car the "TRAC OFF" ,"CHECK VSC"and "RED TRIANGLE" is all on. I check there's a stored DTC "Zero point calibration deceleration not set, undone", I cleared the code with my Techstream software and test drive again, same code came back once I back out the car from garage.

So...I dig in the thread again and THANKS GaryB's notation, turn out the "TEST MODE" IS the calibration mode for the ABS/VSC?TRAC after the memory cleared, once calibrated...the DTC automatically cleared and no message appeared driving around. AWESOME.

I just did the all wheels alignment for my newly purchased (1.5+ month old LS430), the selling Lexus dealer replaced the lower tie rod end and did a crappy alignment, the front L/R toe have a -70 toe setting, max negative toe is -0.08 but it's almost 10 times out of range...what a shame Lexus dealer tech, luckily my brother is an ASE master tech for Honda and he knows how to properly set alignment on Toyota/Lexus cars.
I wouldn't let most ASE technicians rotate my tires. Most are complete idiots who have no idea what they are doing....but this is a good right up thank you guys.
Old 10-04-18 | 04:00 PM
oscosc97
Driver School Candidate

Default Cranking but can't start

Hello Lavrishevo,

After follow your procedure above to do the zero point calibration of deceleration sensor undone in Tech Stream then turn car off for 3 seconds and back on and now car only cranking but won't start. Would you please help? Thank you

SC430/2002

Noted: Radio/DVD is dead can't play
Old 10-04-18 | 08:27 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Originally Posted by oscosc97
Hello Lavrishevo,

After follow your procedure above to do the zero point calibration of deceleration sensor undone in Tech Stream then turn car off for 3 seconds and back on and now car only cranking but won't start. Would you please help? Thank you

SC430/2002

Noted: Radio/DVD is dead can't play
Prolonged use of Techstream and especially certain “healthchecks”, tests and customizations may drain your battery if engine wasn’t working. This could be the reason for the car not starting.
Old 10-04-18 | 09:19 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Larishevo is long gone from this forum. Battery drained doesn't seem to be the issue as the engine cranks, just doesn't start. Not sure what I'd do next if I were in that situation ... maybe disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and try again? Anyone else?

After reading the original post plus a couple down my original thought was "why the heck would I do this?". I'm assuming people had some DTC lights on? No way would I do this 'just because'. Leave well enough alone.
Old 10-05-18 | 06:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls430w140

Prolonged use of Techstream and especially certain “healthchecks”, tests and customizations may drain your battery if engine wasn’t working. This could be the reason for the car not starting.
Old post....on German cars one never does coding without being hooked up to clean power, or they take their chances too sometimes resulting in a bricked DME (a power supply that delivers 13.6V at 75 amps [could support the vehicles' needs as if running] etc, doesn't spike to 16--don't try this with a $80 walmart battery charger!)

The software states (from the pic under follow prompts) it's done when the ABS module or yaw sensor are replaced...in the BMW world there is a specific procedure when the ABS/DSC or a hydraulic component is removed, but not an alignment? There are also specific procedures in addition when a vehicle has active steering. Not sure I understand and just resetting things isn't always better than not, imho.... my .02
Old 10-05-18 | 11:48 AM
oscosc97
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for responding...

To detail a little more about this issued. To Campisi, yes you're right, shouldn't do it but it's too late now and I've disconnected the battery overnight and issued remain. To ls430w140, for this case, battery isn't the issue.

Connect Tech Stream to OBD2, run the whole process as Larishevo captured above and as the last step, it said, turn the key ignition/engine switch OFF then wait for 3 seconds (I pulled out the key by mistake) then turn the ignition/engine switch ON (Engine OFF/Ready OFF). It won't start after put back the key to turn ON. I think, it's trigger the Immobilizer unit some how...

Suggestion from another thread and I am doing it right now.

Google how to reset IMU, If your keys are original to the car then you have to train the ECU to recognize your keys.
If not original, you are screwed and have to purchase a dealer order key.
If you have your car at home, stick a battery charger on it and turn key to IG ON ( idle off) and let it sit for about 1 hour. Do not try to start the car. Remove key close the door.

Open the door and try to start her.
Old 10-05-18 | 01:41 PM
oscosc97
Driver School Candidate

Update: procedure above doesn't work. Issued remain...Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-05-18 | 04:42 PM
oscosc97
Driver School Candidate

ls430w140, you're right all along for this case. Weak battery. Car back to normal. Thanks for all advises.
Old 10-05-18 | 08:33 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

No worries. Glad your car is fine now.
Old 01-26-20 | 06:07 PM
bmwjavier
Driver

I have a 2007 GS 450h. I have done a zero point calibration via Techstream (RESET MEMORY and then, TEST MODE)
Everything OK in Techstream but the steering wheel is still off-center

Please, what can I Do?

Thanks in advance,
Bluetheron (07-21-20)

Quick Reply: How to do a zero point calibration via Techstream