LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Smart key not recognized

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 06:10 PM
azbullpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart key not recognized

I am being told that the reason my smart key is no longer being recognized on my 2004 LS 430 is due to corrosion on door control receiver and trunk oscillator and duct assembly. They will fix it up for $1600.00. Anyone know if this diagnosis is correct? I first had my mechanic look at it who said it wasn't the key and referred me to stealership. Any help would be appreciated, used parts, etc. Thanks CL members.
Old 08-18-15, 06:38 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Do you mean the Smart Access key? What specifically isn't being recognized, the keyless door entry system, the engine start (immobilizer system) and/or the key fob buttons?
Old 08-20-15, 06:16 AM
azbullpro
Driver School Candidate

The Smart Key Access. Door won't unlock, car will only start with key in ignition, trunk won't open. The key fob is good, the smart key button under the dash is on.
Old 08-20-15, 07:05 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

There is a sensor at each door. Since it sounds like you are saying none of the doors work including the ignition I would say it is the key itself. Or you have a problem with the whole system. I would first verify the key is actually working.
Old 08-20-15, 07:14 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

In addition to checking the key, do you have any additional keys (valet, wallet, extra master key) and have you tried any of them?
Old 08-20-15, 09:05 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

I bought my first Lexus today. 2006 LS430 and I am having this same problem. The button under the dash was depressed (deactivating the system) so I hit that and the green light flashes recognizing the key now but when I try to start it without the key placed in the ignition it say No Key Detected. Looked up the reset/reprogram procedure and followed the instructions carefully but every time I get the lock/unlock twice which means programming failed. Did you find a solution to your problem azbullpro?
Old 08-21-15, 06:00 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

With the SmartKey system you might need to program via TechStream vs manual programming.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ingertips.html
Old 08-21-15, 06:48 AM
ZachAttack
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue here

Originally Posted by azbullpro
I am being told that the reason my smart key is no longer being recognized on my 2004 LS 430 is due to corrosion on door control receiver and trunk oscillator and duct assembly. They will fix it up for $1600.00. Anyone know if this diagnosis is correct? I first had my mechanic look at it who said it wasn't the key and referred me to stealership. Any help would be appreciated, used parts, etc. Thanks CL members.
Literally just got off the phone with my local dealer for the same issue. Suddenly my smart keys were no longer being recognized.

The dealer attempted to re program the fobs but the process fails mid way each time. They say the control board for the system is bad and it's $1,300 to repair.

They say this system is located in the rear view mirror etc.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-21-15, 08:06 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ZachAttack
Literally just got off the phone with my local dealer for the same issue. Suddenly my smart keys were no longer being recognized.

The dealer attempted to re program the fobs but the process fails mid way each time. They say the control board for the system is bad and it's $1,300 to repair.

They say this system is located in the rear view mirror etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

That's awful news. Hopefully there's an alternative solution.
Old 08-25-15, 03:06 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

Took my car to the local Toyota dealer today and connected to computer (tech stream I'm guessing). Wasn't able to program the key. Said it was a faulty key as the sensors are responding. Ordered a new key and will try again when it arrives. Hoping they are right and don't have to have a new control board!
Old 08-31-15, 05:47 AM
azbullpro
Driver School Candidate

Default Key programmed

I've been on TechStream and have been told by my independent mechanic and the Lexus dealer that it is not the key. I am thinking I will be going down the path of replacing the oscillator and door sensor. Does anyone know if you should buy parts used or get new ones?
Old 09-01-15, 03:22 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

Went back to the dealer today... They tried programming the new key and said it wasn't able to program. Theft deterrent system has locked them out. They want to order a new part, Computer Assy, Theft Warning part no: 89730-50150. They quoted me $1200 for the part and another $300 to program it. My main question is, if I were to buy one online from eBay would they be able to program that one or would I be in the same boat?
Old 09-01-15, 05:01 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Did you ask the L dealer how they determined it was a faulty key 6 days ago (post # 10 sensors WERE responding), but now after buying the new key it's a $1,200 new part? (That part can be had new for $700 and as low as $50 used.) You should ask the dealer if they will program a recycled part. Asked above, do you have other keys that work?

Last edited by Tom57; 09-01-15 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-01-15, 05:21 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

No, bought the car used, came with one key that didn't work.

I was also curious how they determined what part was faulty. I don't have a local Lexus dealership so the Toyota dealer is doing this for me. They haven't charged me a dime this far and I appreciate their help. They said they were on the phone with the Lexus tech and have narrowed the problem down to this part. They said the theft system has locked and won't let them access the part of the ecm they need to program and that I need this part.

I did not buy the key from this Toyota dealer. The closest Lexus dealer is where they're getting their quotes from and their prices are high ($280 for key and $1200 for this part). I called them myself and told them I could get the same parts from a different Lexus dealer and asked them to match the price... they declined. So I bought a new key off eBay for $85 from a Lexus dealer (Bell Lexus, North Scottsdale AZ) and they were very helpful. They have quoted me $697 for this module/computer that Toyota is saying I'm needing now but they said I can not return it if this doesn't fix the problem.

I'm also curious if a used part off eBay would work as they can be found for much less. I just hate to waste that amount of money and the time trying to program it for it to not work. I also don't want to end up with a $700 part that won't do me any good either. Was hoping to find someone on here that has successfully fixed this problem.
Old 09-01-15, 06:11 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

If they can program a new one, I can't imagine why they couldn't program a recycled one. But, you should ask them.

Quick Reply: Smart key not recognized