LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air shocks connected to air bags

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-15, 01:57 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Air shocks connected to air bags

I was talking to a Lexus service advisor about replacing my air suspension with OEM steel. He told me that after looking into it, his dealership would not do the work because the air shock is related to the air bag. He said that removal of the air shocks would affect the proper operation of the air bags. I have never heard this before and suspect it is polite Lexus dealer speak for "they don't want to do the job." Any thoughts?
Old 08-21-15, 03:24 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I think the service advisor is getting mixed up with the terms "air bags" as in what deploys in the dash when you get in an accident and "air bags" which is another term for the rubber bladders that fill with air to to support the vehicle instead of a steel spring.

But it doesn't surprise me that a Lexus dealer says no, they're not really in the business of modifying a car from how it came from the factory and I could see some liability there that they just don't want to deal with. Best bet is find a shop that specialized in suspensions, but really any mechanic could easily do the swap.
Old 08-21-15, 05:38 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 With the tank.

Try using the term "hydraulic suspension". And maybe use pictures of what you're describing, some of these employees and engineers are so stuck to their daily routine of -take out and replace- that they forget or lose the sense of imagination of what you are trying to say.

I know many fellow users who switched out their air suspension, with what's so called, pressurized struts.
They haven't faced any issues, except for the sport and height button to not work, obviously.

Why are you switching out your air system?
Old 08-21-15, 06:25 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

The service advisor has been there for over 25 years, since the dealership opened their doors. There was no misunderstanding.

That said, I agree with and understand the liability concerns. They may also consider it a modification and choose not to do it. I just wish they would be honest about it rather than connecting the hip bone to the knee bone.

My left rear shock is leaking, a 2 on the 1 to 5 scale they use. It may be an easy job for any mechanic to change the suspension to steel but I can't find one willing to do it in the metro Detroit area. Right now, I am going through the options and looking for a shop so that I am ready when it finally goes. It will be sooner rather than later.
Old 08-22-15, 05:20 AM
volson
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko
The service advisor has been there for over 25 years, since the dealership opened their doors. There was no misunderstanding.

That said, I agree with and understand the liability concerns. They may also consider it a modification and choose not to do it. I just wish they would be honest about it rather than connecting the hip bone to the knee bone.

My left rear shock is leaking, a 2 on the 1 to 5 scale they use. It may be an easy job for any mechanic to change the suspension to steel but I can't find one willing to do it in the metro Detroit area. Right now, I am going through the options and looking for a shop so that I am ready when it finally goes. It will be sooner rather than later.
Find a high end wheel/suspension place, not a normal shop. They do suspension conversions a lot
Old 08-22-15, 06:56 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Air-shocks are in no way related to the safety airbags inside the car. It will not cause any safety concerns. The service advisor is wrong. Just make sure to leave the height sensors in place to avoid warning symbols on the dash and disable the air compressor via the fuse or remove power to the compressor itself.
Old 08-22-15, 09:25 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko

My experience is service advisors tend to be more salesman than mechanics, so I think it's very likely he's simply confused. I have a relative that owns a service center and probably couldn't change a car's brake pads. I'm not kidding.

If the service advisor thought the air suspension effected the deployment of the safety airbags, he's off his rocker. People could hit a big bump and the airbags could go off. Just no way the two would be connected, you're talking the mother of all lawsuits there. I just think something got lost in translation.

I can understand though a Lexus dealership declining to perform the swap, but not for the reason that the SRS airbags would fail to deploy if they took out the pneumatic shocks.