Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea Foam yes or no... or what would you recommend

2005 LS 430 - 81k miles USED!!!! would you use Seafoam in the car
Old 08-24-15, 05:22 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It won't hurt it. Just make sure you follow the instructions and one thing people forget is to change the oil after you run it.
Old 08-24-15, 06:24 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

No, seafoam is not rated so good. Especially through the brake booster. It can foul the plugs and injectors. Dura Lube sever fuel system cleaner for the fuel system and injectors. Repeat every 5k miles. Marvel Mystery oil for the engine. Manually clean the MAF and throttle body.

The engine should not really need much cleaning if the car received regular oil changes but a little varnish will build up over time.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-24-15 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 07:11 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say no on an LS.. I did it on my old GS that had 130k miles when I got it. Could I tell a difference? Sure. Is it worth all the trouble you have to go through? Eh, prolly not. Just change all your fluids and run some Lucas Injector cleaner through the car and it'll be buttery smooth. Shoot our cars are already buttery smooth!
Old 08-24-15, 07:18 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont like the idea of sea foam eathir.

side note: i saw a guy on facebook confuse sea foam and spray foam. please, do not do that.
Old 08-24-15, 07:24 PM
volson
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like red line si-1.
Old 08-24-15, 07:48 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Thorough cleaning of the throttle body and mass air flow sensor and you'll notice a difference.
Old 08-24-15, 09:34 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 05Flagship
2005 LS 430 - 81k miles USED!!!! would you use Seafoam in the car
Depends where. I know they say you can put that anywhere - engine oil, gas tank, etc. I think they have different types.

I know I used the Seafoam motor treatment to desludge my wife's car engine after the turbo was replaced. That motor was full of black tarry sludge, but we got it back on the road with no long term issues. Seemed to do the trick.

I've also used it on the intake of my pickup. You crack the blades on the throttle body and keep spraying it in until it starts sputtering and choking. Then open the blades more and keep spraying until the can is empty. Seemed to work with no issues.

I don't see any problems. Give it a shot!

You'll find everyone has their own preference, but they are just variations of the same thing IMHO.
Old 08-25-15, 04:39 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by volson
I like red line si-1.
Certain fuel system cleanses have chemicals in them that are known to dissolve and / or damage nylon. Redline has these chemicals and our fuel pumps use nylon components. This is why I don't use this product. The Dura Lube does not. I have a thread on here somewhere with a great article of someone going through and testing many different cleaners and their effectiveness at breaking down carbon. I'll see if I can find if.

Carbon naturally building up in the intake manifold. If its really a worry or you have a huge amount it would be best to just remove the manifold itself and have it cleaned or extrude hone'd.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-25-15 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-26-15, 07:06 AM
Willflow
Driver School Candidate

Seafoam is good for any of that but the ONLY really effective in tank fuel treatment is BarryGrant or BG in a product call 44K. It has an activator cookie in the can and the BG guy/vendor will buy those cookies back from you so they can reuse them. For the intake you need to have a shop do an intake cleaning using a can that trickles the chemicals into the intake track before the throttle body. It is worth paying to have done right. Anyway, yes seafoam is good. BG also has an oil treatment called MOA that works very well in the crankcase.
Old 08-26-15, 07:21 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

BG products are used by Lexus dealers in the crankcase for sludge and varnish cleaning, and piston rings (increases compression), as well as fuel system cleaner.
Old 08-29-15, 08:39 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Willflow
the ONLY really effective in tank fuel treatment is BarryGrant or BG in a product call 44K. It has an activator cookie in the can and the BG guy/vendor will buy those cookies back from you so they can reuse them.
I hear nothing but extremely positive remarks relating to BG 44K. I am considering buying a 3-pack from Amazon for around $57.

What are these cookies that you mentioned? Like chocolate chip or sugar?
Old 08-30-15, 02:19 PM
Willflow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I hear nothing but extremely positive remarks relating to BG 44K. I am considering buying a 3-pack from Amazon for around $57.

What are these cookies that you mentioned? Like chocolate chip or sugar?
I wish. They are some sort of chemical that keeps the liquid active some how. I am not a chemist but it works kinda like that.
Old 06-16-19, 12:38 PM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Its been about 4 years since this thread was made, has anyone tried this and had engine issues because of it I just want to try the spray version but I’m pretty nervous about it any info would be very very helpful
Old 06-16-19, 01:26 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

I do it to every single one of the cars I buy, all my LS are no exception. It’s sort of a ‘why not?’ thing. Gas tank and intake methods used, although I would caution on using it in the crankcase - almost never necessary unless your engine is seriously gunked up and you have nothing to lose.
The following users liked this post:
Bsavage (06-16-19)

Quick Reply: Sea Foam yes or no... or what would you recommend