LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My sick baby

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-15, 08:38 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcturus
Glad you fixed it. There are spark plug tube seals that can wear out over time. This may be the source of the oil. They often come with a replacement valve cover gasket kit and will be changed out at the same time. Valve cover gaskets are a known issue on this car at higher mileage. You may want to check them out and see if they are leaking. Some on this site say the valve cover gaskets are easy to change out, others say it is a more involved task. I haven't done it myself but may do it some day soon as I can see a slight seepage.
Thanks. Yeah the last time I had my oil changed I was told the oil seals were leaking and was told to wait until I did the spark plugs at 120k. I guess that plan is out the window now.
Old 09-02-15, 06:43 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also had oil on about half of my spark plugs despite having the valve cover gaskets changed a year or two ago.
Old 09-02-15, 07:22 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boomer01
I also had oil on about half of my spark plugs despite having the valve cover gaskets changed a year or two ago.
Thank you that's helpful. Now my check VSC light is on. Will that turn off eventually?
Old 09-02-15, 07:47 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Check your CEL codes. Do your have an OBD II reader? If you do, read the remaining codes, if any, then clear all codes.
Old 09-02-15, 07:49 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom57
Check your CEL codes. Do your have an OBD II reader? If you do, read the remaining codes, if any, then clear all codes.
Yes I do, I scanned it with the check VSC light on and my reader says no codes.
Old 09-02-15, 08:08 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Did you hit the clear codes button?
Old 09-02-15, 08:09 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Also, make sure you didn't inadvertently push the VSC button on the dash?
Old 09-02-15, 08:11 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom57
Also, make sure you didn't inadvertently push the VSC button on the dash?
I haven't hit clear codes as my battery was disconnected for a good while but I will try that. I've tried the button on the console, it's not doing anything.
Old 09-02-15, 03:59 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Ok so I cleared codes through my scanner (there weren't any but thought I would try that). Check VSC comes on as soon as the car begins to move. What could be causing this? I'm confused as to how an ignition component can affect stability control somehow.
Old 09-02-15, 04:35 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbthompson
Ok so I cleared codes through my scanner (there weren't any but thought I would try that). Check VSC comes on as soon as the car begins to move. What could be causing this? I'm confused as to how an ignition component can affect stability control somehow.
May I ask how you are pulling the codes? Is it with a generic scanner? If so does it have ABS / SRS (airbag) capability?

With a normal code reader you will only be able to read generic P codes. If there is a problem with the ABS braking system or airbag system, it won't show up unless it has the capability. It could be a wheel speed sensor for example as this is a common problem.

There is a trick to jumper two pins on the OBD plug under the dash to get it to flash these extended, vehicle manufacturer specific codes. You can then post them here and we can tell you what they are. I'll try and find that for you.
Old 09-02-15, 04:43 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

I haven't hit clear codes as my battery was disconnected for a good while but I will try that. I've tried the button on the console, it's not doing anything.
Here's the thread. See FYOUNES's diagram for the correct pins. Unwrap a paperclip and stick it in the terminals and turn the ignition on. Then read the flashes for the codes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/329133-check-vsc-vsc-off.html
Old 09-03-15, 06:56 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Here's the thread. See FYOUNES's diagram for the correct pins. Unwrap a paperclip and stick it in the terminals and turn the ignition on. Then read the flashes for the codes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/329133-check-vsc-vsc-off.html
Wow did this and it worked. Thank you so much. I love this forum. Now I just need to replace the other spark plugs but she's running great again!
Old 09-03-15, 05:05 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Wow did this and it worked. Thank you so much. I love this forum. Now I just need to replace the other spark plugs but she's running great again!
Did you pull the codes? If so what codes popped up?
Old 09-03-15, 05:35 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

That procedure with the paper clip clears the VSC light.
Old 09-03-15, 07:34 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Did you pull the codes? If so what codes popped up?
No codes. I think it just reset the system. All good now and she is running perfectly.

Quick Reply: My sick baby