LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My sick baby

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 09:54 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
That procedure with the paper clip clears the VSC light.
Was that one the zero point calibration? Or was it the one that pull the codes (and automatically clears them afterwards)? I know there are two ways of jumping the pins. I've done both, but now forget. Too late... To tired
Old 09-04-15, 04:41 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

This is how you zero out the calibration.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...echstream.html
Old 09-07-15, 12:10 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok everyone. Everything is fixed and I got all of the spark plugs changed. While doing my last one on cylinder 2, I was screwing in the ignition coil. I was being very gentle and not over tightening it, and the bolt just sheared off. A part of the bolt is in the screw hole in the engine and now I can't secure the ignition coil. Ugh!!! This was literally the last step after three days of slow careful work. Thoughts????
Old 09-07-15, 03:01 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbthompson
Ok everyone. Everything is fixed and I got all of the spark plugs changed. While doing my last one on cylinder 2, I was screwing in the ignition coil. I was being very gentle and not over tightening it, and the bolt just sheared off. A part of the bolt is in the screw hole in the engine and now I can't secure the ignition coil. Ugh!!! This was literally the last step after three days of slow careful work. Thoughts????
If you can post an image, that'd help. If you can remove the coil and the bolt didn't shear off flush with the hole, you can try to grab it with vice grips or similar. Was it going in hard, or were you able to thread it in by hand at the beginning?

AN
Old 09-07-15, 04:43 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcturus
Was that one the zero point calibration? Or was it the one that pull the codes (and automatically clears them afterwards)? I know there are two ways of jumping the pins. I've done both, but now forget. Too late... To tired
This is the reset VSC procedure that I thought you were referring to: See post # 29 - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...c-vsc-off.html
Old 09-07-15, 06:57 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by abbyNormal
If you can post an image, that'd help. If you can remove the coil and the bolt didn't shear off flush with the hole, you can try to grab it with vice grips or similar. Was it going in hard, or were you able to thread it in by hand at the beginning?

AN
The bolt just sheared off in the hole. There's not a lot sticking out. I am considering dremeling I small notch in the screw to try and screw it out.

I was doing it by hand, tightened it slightly with my wrench and it just broke off.
Old 09-07-15, 07:11 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom57
This is the reset VSC procedure that I thought you were referring to: See post # 29 - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...c-vsc-off.html
Great. Thanks Tom. I think I gave him the zero-point calibration instead. Guess I was lucky that it worked. Must of got confused. Cheers!
Old 09-07-15, 07:15 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

The bolt just sheared off in the hole. There's not a lot sticking out. I am considering dremeling I small notch in the screw to try and screw it out.

I was doing it by hand, tightened it slightly with my wrench and it just broke off.
That sucks! I've had many jobs go like that. Usually it's when it's late and you're getting tired.

If there's room, you can try an easy out. This is just an example:

hhttp://www.amazon.ca/Piece-Easy-Screw-Bolt-Extractor/dp/B0002UJNWE

You should be able to pick one up at your local Pep Boys or Autozone. Good luck!

Last edited by Arcturus; 09-07-15 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 07:22 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a screw/bolt extractor like mentioned above. It will make things much easier.
Old 09-07-15, 09:52 PM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is no tension on the broken shaft and it went in by hand, like you said, then I think dremeling a slot would be the best plan. Easy outs kind of suck and unless you have the room to get a drill in there perfectly square, you'll end up doing unspeakable things to the block's threads.

Make sure you cover up any part of the car that will get hit with shavings from the dremel. Those little metal shavings could wreak havoc on your electric connections if the find their way into them.

AN