LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need new battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 08:54 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Need new battery

I have a AcDelco Battery 7 YR Professional that is 39 months old that needs replacing. It started cranking slow today and when I had it on a charger with my ctek 3300, it wouldn't fully charge even after 24 hrs. Although it was reading 12.5 across the battery, there probably is a bad cell as it won't hold a charge. My Alternator is putting out 14.2 when cold and 13.6 when fully warmed up. My battery has a 50 month free replacement from an acdelco dealer. I live in Florida which is rough on batteries. My Infiniti always needed a new battery every 3 years and was wondering what LS430 owners who live in the heat were getting from their battery? I hope the retailer (Bennett Auto Supply) doesn't give me a hard time with the warranty..

PS. The battery retails for $131.
Old 09-25-15, 09:00 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Battery replacement was free because of 50 month free replacement warranty with acdelco batteries.
Old 09-25-15, 03:09 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I replace my batteries every 2-3 years.
Old 09-25-15, 03:54 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I have a AcDelco Battery 7 YR Professional that is 39 months old that needs replacing. It started cranking slow today and when I had it on a charger with my ctek 3300, it wouldn't fully charge even after 24 hrs. Although it was reading 12.5 across the battery, there probably is a bad cell as it won't hold a charge. My Alternator is putting out 14.2 when cold and 13.6 when fully warmed up. My battery has a 50 month free replacement from an acdelco dealer. I live in Florida which is rough on batteries. My Infiniti always needed a new battery every 3 years and was wondering what LS430 owners who live in the heat were getting from their battery? I hope the retailer (Bennett Auto Supply) doesn't give me a hard time with the warranty..

PS. The battery retails for $131.
It's hit or miss. I had what I thought was a cheapo Motomaster battery (from Canadian Tire) that lasted 7 years and never let me down. I also have an Interstate battery that's up to 7 years with no issues. I had an OEM Lexus battery crap out after only 3 years (acid leaking) and an AC Delco battery go bad after 3-4 years as well.

I would suspect two things for the differences. The longer lasting batteries were in an older vehicle with less electronics meaning less strain. Also the older batteries were subjected to milder climates (west coast winters vs east coast winters) with less extreme weather conditions.

It could also be pure coincidence. Best thing is to get one with a long full replacement warranty if possible. I went with Costco Kirkland for my newest one. Also I heard there are really only three remaining car battery manufacturers left and Johnson Controls does most of them.
Old 09-26-15, 03:50 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcturus
It could also be pure coincidence. Best thing is to get one with a long full replacement warranty if possible. I went with Costco Kirkland for my newest one. Also I heard there are really only three remaining car battery manufacturers left and Johnson Controls does most of them.
This is true. There are not hundreds of battery companies, just labels and brands. Costco carries Interstate labeled batteries now, not Kirkland brand. All the same though. 3 year full replacement and up to 7 years I believe proration. They suck too, because they pretty much last 3 years but just bring in before warranty expires and new battery. Just pita to change it so often.
Old 09-27-15, 05:41 AM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am blessed. 10 years on the original OEM battery.
Old 09-28-15, 10:32 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts

I usually get 2-3 years on mine, it doesn't seem to matter the brand (they pretty much all come from the same 2 factories anyway). I go with either Costco Kirkland or Walmart. The Southwest heat is hard on batteries, the dealer batteries fare no better in my experience. Usually the people that get a lot of years on them live in cooler climates.

I really should just automatically replace my battery every 2 years as a regular part of maintenance, not worth getting stranded to squeeze out those last few months, but I never seem to do it.
Old 09-28-15, 01:15 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
I usually get 2-3 years on mine, it doesn't seem to matter the brand (they pretty much all come from the same 2 factories anyway). I go with either Costco Kirkland or Walmart. The Southwest heat is hard on batteries, the dealer batteries fare no better in my experience. Usually the people that get a lot of years on them live in cooler climates.

I really should just automatically replace my battery every 2 years as a regular part of maintenance, not worth getting stranded to squeeze out those last few months, but I never seem to do it.
Good Decision!!! That's what I've tried to do with the cars I've owned here in Florida. As the 3rd year is approaching the next time I will be replacing the battery from either Sears or Costco myself. This was the 2nd battery to go in my LS430 in about 3 years and every infiniti I owned lasted just about 3 years as well.
Old 09-28-15, 07:26 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

My LS is 2006 with original Panasonic OEM battery still going strong. Wife and kids cars have all needed new batteries over the years I typically replace with a Wal-mart Evermax battery. They are reasonably priced, usually fresh stock available and come with a 3 year full replacement warranty.