LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sludge building up...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 12:47 AM
PersianOne
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sludge building up...

A friend was helping me change out my valve cover gaskets and we noticed a slight sludge build up. Nothing MAJOR but it definitely is there. He recommended using some Pennzoil and I figure I would do frequent oil changes, maybe once a month? Anything else I should be doing to prevent more sludge from building up? Anyone experience this with their LS? I have an 02 that just hit 59k, any advice is appreciated!
Old 09-29-15, 03:47 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I'd suggest you use a full synthetic oil like Penzoil Platinum HM to help with removing the sludge and keeping it at bay. Use a high quality oil filter like NAPA Platinum, Fram ULTRA, Bosch Distance Plus. Maybe run 2-3 short 2k OCIs to get a lot of the gunk out of the engine and then run 5-7.5k OCIs going forward. If you are doing mostly short trips in daily driving, try to make a minimum of one 30+ minute trip per week to get the engine up to full operating temp.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-29-15 at 04:09 AM.
Old 09-29-15, 04:22 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

an 02 with 59k miles suggests severe duty....lots of very short trips with the engine oil never reaching optimum temperature. I'd agree with doing multiple oil changes in short intervals, although I'm skeptical you need any particular brand. I'd also use the 5 minute Gunk flush product...have been using it for 30 yrs on every oil change. No issues.

Given your duty pattern you'll have to develop some kind of routine and maintain it so that sludge doesn't build up over time. Not sure what that would be....maybe oil changes every 1k....I don't know, but clearly a 3k change interval wouldn't work for you. Either that, or move to Texas and warm that baby up...ha
Old 09-29-15, 04:30 AM
PersianOne
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I'd suggest you use a full synthetic oil like Penzoil Platinum HM to help with removing the sludge and keeping it at bay. Use a high quality oil filter like NAPA Platinum, Fram ULTRA, Bosch Distance Plus. Maybe run 2-3 short 2k OCIs to get a lot of the gunk out of the engine and then run 5-7.5k OCIs going forward. If you are doing mostly short trips in daily driving, try to make a minimum of one 30+ minute trip per week to get the engine up to full operating temp.
Yeah I was leaning towards using the Pennzoil Platinum HM or the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. But it seems the Platinum HM is better for older cars so I will go with that. What about OEM filters? I was thinking of going to my local Lexus dealer and picking up a few, since I bought the car I haven't used any other brand, should I try a filter that you listed instead? Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what do you mean by "2-3 short 2k OCIs/5-7.5k OCIs going foward?" Yeah my trips are extremely short. I drive anywhere from 5-15 miles a day, 300-400 miles a month. I usually get to my destination in less than 20 minutes. Of course I have no problem with taking some longer drives if it helps with the sludge. Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it
Old 09-29-15, 04:35 AM
PersianOne
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by toddmorr
an 02 with 59k miles suggests severe duty....lots of very short trips with the engine oil never reaching optimum temperature. I'd agree with doing multiple oil changes in short intervals, although I'm skeptical you need any particular brand. I'd also use the 5 minute Gunk flush product...have been using it for 30 yrs on every oil change. No issues.

Given your duty pattern you'll have to develop some kind of routine and maintain it so that sludge doesn't build up over time. Not sure what that would be....maybe oil changes every 1k....I don't know, but clearly a 3k change interval wouldn't work for you. Either that, or move to Texas and warm that baby up...ha
Yep, can't go far on an island (Oahu, Hawaii). I was thinking since I only drive about 300-400 miles a month, I should change my oil every month or two for a year or so? Then from there change it every 1k like you suggested? As Jabberwock said, I plan to do some 30+ minute driving trips a couple times a week just to warm her up properly and hopefully that will help as well. Appreciate the feedback
Old 09-29-15, 05:15 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

yeah that makes sense to me...change it every month for say 3 months, then check the engine and see if you notice a reduction in sludge. If not, then increase your efforts with an engine flush product. If you do notice a decrease in the sludge, then you have the beginnings of a routine which you can adjust, and perhaps you end up with something like every other month changes, and a flush product every six months or so. Bit of a hassle to figure this out, but way way cheaper than dealing with a totally sludged up engine someday.

you have an interesting situation....i'm confident as to what keeps sludge out of an engine in normal duty cycles but your's clearly isn't.
Old 09-29-15, 08:37 AM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in the day we used to change the oil but leave one quart out and add 1 quart of ATF since it has a good bit of sludge cutting detergents in it. Removing the sludge is only half the battle , keep in mind it has to go somewhere and will probably require an oil pan removal and clean up in a very short period of time.
Old 09-29-15, 09:36 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I would use 1/2 to 1 quart of Marvel Mystery Oil with a few oil changes and a good filter. The stuff has fantastic reviews. I recently treated my engine and I notice the valve seem more quiet when listening to them closely.

I also put on a larger oil filter and initially thought I had a problem with the anti-drainback valve in the filter because I was getting a little bit of tapping at cold start for 3 or 4 days. Then it totally went away. I believe a little bit of gunk got into a lifter or oil hole and until the cleaning agent cleaned it out it I would hear a tiny bit of valve noise for a few seconds on cold start. Now it's totally gone and no tapping even after the car was sitting for 10 days without a start. Great stuff.

Amazon.com: Marvel MM12R Mystery Oil - 16 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Marvel MM12R Mystery Oil - 16 oz.: Automotive

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-30-15 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-30-15, 06:21 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
an 02 with 59k miles suggests severe duty....lots of very short trips with the engine oil never reaching optimum temperature.
That's a very important point. One of the reasons why, in other cases, a very low mileage car isn't always such a good idea.
Old 10-01-15, 04:10 AM
PersianOne
Pit Crew

Appreciate all the feedback guys. I definitely want to prevent more sludge from building up as it will save me a ton of money in the future and keep my girl in tip top shape. I am going with Pennzoil Platinum HM and OEM oil filters. I plan to change the oil every month for about 3-6 months, then from there I will check to see if the sludge is decreasing. Along with that, I will increase my driving trips to at least 2-3 30+ minute weekly drives, which will hopefully help get the engine to proper operating temp and help with the sludge build up. If (hopefully not) the sludge is still not decreasing, I will run with an engine flush product or mystery Oil as Lavrishevo suggested. I am hoping that after the first few monthly oil changes/change in driving habits, the sludge build up will decrease and I can fall into a 3 month or so oil change routine. Thanks again for the advice fellas