LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Accidentally overeved....damage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 08:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I still can't get over how quickly the motor spun up like that.

Even my old Nissan VQ (the legendary one-- 3.0, 190hp) wasn't even nearly as close to free-revving like this. And believe me, lol, I know. I had a 5spd 97 Maxima in my stupid late teens and early 20s.

Nice discussion, guys. Looking forward to driving across country again to head home. Driving in the thick of Los Angeles is a complete nightmare, from the stop and go, etc. (I barely break 10MPG). Back in TN I'd get in my car just to cruise and drivie it, for no specific reason other than to admire the competence of the engineering.
Old 10-06-15, 08:09 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You guys also are aware that the Toyota UZ is freaking approved for use in planes by the FAA, don't you?

Talk about bragging rights. I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain it's the only auto engine in existence that can claim that.
Old 10-06-15, 08:40 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kinda.

The 1UZ (I believe the one used in 1992-1994 LS400s) was shipped out to a company in America that twin turbo charged it and I believe they replaced the pistons and camshafts to optimize the engine for 100LL and forced induction, and then they gave it an ECU that integrated with FADEC (airplane throttle control).

The power to weight is amazing for the engine, and the reliability is second to none. A 260 hp Toyota engine costs $800 used, and it was intended to cost ~$20,000 new and in FAA trim (but the engine never made it into production). I think a 160 hp Lycoming is like $25k brand new. But I could be wrong.

That said, it's amazing to think about what these engines can do and how little they're taxed in our cars. I don't even go over 2k rpm in most of my commutes.

However, it's a bummer that Toyota went so weak on the connecting rods in these engines. I've heard that they struggle to push more than ~400 horsepower. But they're just a few major upgrades away from amazing power. And they rev so hard for a V8. And they're such monsters in N/A spec. I got to ride in a VVTI SC400 with headers and an exhaust and a manual once and it was scary fast. What really throws you for a loop is the high compression ratios - most v8s have low compression and big displacement and they just 'punch' through the rev range but they don't breathe well enough to rev out.

The 3UZ/1UZs with high compression pistons and their naturally high-flowing valve trains are brutal. They have 2x the powerband of most domestic V8s and smoke tires like I smoke fools on the bball court.

All in all - it can brush up against the rev limiter every now and then.
Old 10-06-15, 09:32 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by airchomper
That said, it's amazing to think about what these engines can do and how little they're taxed in our cars. I don't even go over 2k rpm in most of my commutes.
Agreed. My last car was an Acura TL (manual, 2006); that motor spent 75% of it's time above 3-4k, and the thing just BEGGED you to rev it out., which I did about a billion times. I'm by no means saying Honda does not design reliable motors (duh, and that thing was a BEAST), but at the end of the day which engine will last longer? One that's been revved to death or one that's lead an easy life hardly even taxed, if at all?

BTW said Acura didn't rev as freely either as the UZ in the Lex, found this out last night, lol. I still can't stress how quickly it went from idle to redline like that.

I seldom break 2200k (ish) RPM either, and living in LA where it's constant gridlock and 100000% cut and thrust (read: a slow car won't cut it here), that's saying something. With the 3-UZ, there is really no point to go past about 2200 RPM unless you're en route to ER or running from cops (just kidding).

Originally Posted by airchomper
most v8s have low compression and big displacement and they just 'punch' through the rev range but they don't breathe well enough to rev out.
I hear you here as well, at least if you're talking about our motors stock. I also own an older, beater 2005 Yukon, with the 5.3L 285hp/325torque. I'm actually quite a fan of the motor and transmission (or any Chevy small block, for that matter)---the thing is quite quick (below 60ish) for a 3 ton SUV with modest power ratings, but it does sorta run out of breath high up in the rev range. Saying that, it's flexible and sounds amazing. Only a four speed auto, but damm, floor it and you get a first gear downshift INSTANTLY--no computer thinking, no torque retardation, etc., which I can't say about our cars. Anyway, I'm rambling. Sorry.

But the UZ just feels like it could sit at 6k RPM all day long just as happily as it loafs around at 2k. You can tell that it "breathes" well, like you were saying. Kind of the best of both worlds. Abundant torque down low but a high-RPM screamer, too if it needs to be. I'd kill to drive a sporty car with a 3UZ beast and a stick shift, lol.
Old 10-07-15, 11:50 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'd kill to drive a sporty car with a 3UZ beast and a stick shift, lol.
me too.....would happily spend 6 figures on a car like that. But Lexus went all Benz wannabe and dropped stick shifts from their line up. no the IS250 doesn't count. I guess there just isn't enough of us to make it worthwhile for Toyota.
Old 10-07-15, 05:58 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
me too.....would happily spend 6 figures on a car like that. But Lexus went all Benz wannabe and dropped stick shifts from their line up. no the IS250 doesn't count. I guess there just isn't enough of us to make it worthwhile for Toyota.
SC430? No?
Old 10-08-15, 10:11 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Bump.

Update:

Car is fine, lol. I need to do a drain and fill on my tranny and diff, but I REFUSE to pay double the cost (literally) just because it's out here in moneybag land. So I'll coast an easy 2,000 miles back to Knoxville and do it then.