LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Repair of engine oil leaks and check engine light now on

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 09:52 AM
jmsed
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again to all responders....
Dealer replaced the exhaust y-pipe gaskets over 2 weeks ago, check engine light off when picked up. Light is still off after driving 1k plus miles.
Seems like exhaust leak - exhaust gaskets were the culprit.
Old 12-01-15, 10:26 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

That's great news.

I'm wondering if the dealer installed the gaskets (instead of replaced) since it sounds like they never put them back on after the first time.
Old 12-01-15, 03:08 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Great to hear you got it fixed. If you wouldn't have questioned them you may have seen a $1,500 repair bill for a new cat from a dealer.
Old 12-02-15, 07:50 AM
jmsed
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After our last visit when they "installed" the new gaskets, they showed me what was the old gaskets. I would assume from their appearance in size and shape that they were the old ones.

Although when I did question the service director about the gaskets and what all responders (internet) were saying of an exhaust leak and not a catalytic converter, his response was "you can't always believe what you read on the internet". I guess you can't always believe what Lexus service writers either than.

I certainly am going to be leery from now on of what they tell me I need as far as repairs go. Since replacing the C/C would have replaced the gaskets thus also solving the problem. $2K vs $20 Hmmm......
Old 12-02-15, 10:40 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsed
After our last visit when they "installed" the new gaskets, they showed me what was the old gaskets. I would assume from their appearance in size and shape that they were the old ones.

Although when I did question the service director about the gaskets and what all responders (internet) were saying of an exhaust leak and not a catalytic converter, his response was "you can't always believe what you read on the internet". I guess you can't always believe what Lexus service writers either than.

I certainly am going to be leery from now on of what they tell me I need as far as repairs go. Since replacing the C/C would have replaced the gaskets thus also solving the problem. $2K vs $20 Hmmm......
Glad it got sorted, service writers are basically salesman so you can't really lean on them for advice. Also, when you bring in a Lexus with 220k miles, they are going to make a case that basically everything needs some sort of service or maintenance, so them just saying it needs a new catalytic converter is probably the type of answers you're going to keep getting.

You might want to simply stay out of the Lexus dealership in general on a car like yours for most service needs, it gets hard to justify throwing big bucks to service a car that's probably worth $4k -$5k on a good day. Your last service visit probably came close to exceeding the value of the car.