Has anyone else driven the Pilot a/s 3? Thanks play nice
Old 11-18-15 | 08:22 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Otherwise all opinions are mute.
Old 11-18-15 | 09:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't have to have driven the car with those tires to know what the drawbacks are. I have driven the LS430 with UHP tires, and with grand touring tires, the difference in ride and noise isolation is not insignificant.

There are no reviews on TireRack from LS owners (which is a clue there), but this is a review from a GS430 owner:

I purchased these tires to replace a set of Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I did a lot of research prior to the purchase, however, given that these are relatively new tires, there was not too much information out there. I drive mainly highyway miles, and while I like to toss the car into and out of corners occasionally, I would say that my general driving style is slightly spirited.I like a tire that performs well, but also want something that's relatively quiet and comfortable. The A/S Plus seemed to strike that balance perfectly, so when the new A/S 3 was advertised to be everything the A/S Plus was and more, I assumed it would be the perfect tire for my Lexus. This was definitely NOT the case. First, let me say that the tire performs great. It's like the car is on rails. The A/S Plus never performed as well as these A/S 3s perform. However, there is a price you pay for that performance and that is ride quality and noise. Now I realize that a lot of Corvette and other sports car owners have reported a dramatic improvement in quiet and comfort with these tires, and I'm sure that's true, but remember they're coming from either run-flat tires or dedicated summer tires, so that would make sense.If you have a luxury sports sedan and want to maintain that luxury car feeling, I would not recommend these tires. I am going to exchange them under Michelin's 30-day return policy and go back to the A/S Plus.One last thing. I called Michelin to get their advice and to confirm that I wasn't imagining this. Here is what they told me. The A/S 3 has a load rating of 97. The A/S Plus has a load rating of 93. So, the A/S 3 is rated to withstand about 200 pounds more at each corner than the A/S Plus. What does this mean? My car is heavier than a Corvette, so I assume that would be a good thing, right? Not so. It means that the sidewall of the tire is that much stiffer and less flexible so as to accommodate a higher cornering load.I hope this helps.
Here is a link to TireRack's comparison test of the A/S3:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=201

Here is a graph depicting their opinions about ride and noise compared to other UHP tires. As you see the A/S3 is in 3rd place out of 4 when it comes to ride comfort and noise level (remember, all these UHP tires are going to be stiffer and louder than any touring tire, meaning the difference between a tire like the A/S3 and something like a Primacy or Premier or Pirelli P7 Plus will be even greater):

Here is their break down of the A/S3. Check out what they would improve:

Seeing that I am a person who prefers a ride biased drive over handling or grip, its safe to say that I can cross the A/S3 off my list. I'm glad you like them, but I would make the point that anybody who likes the way the car rides on these tires, or doesn't like it being a "coffin" or riding like the driver is "asleep" isn't really the right demographic for the LS in the first place, so I would question how applicable your experience is to most LS drivers.
Old 11-19-15 | 04:08 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I would be more inclined to put the Pilots on my WRX vs LS.
Old 11-19-15 | 04:31 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

I have not had the A/S 3 on the LS but I have had the A/S on my S2000 and absolutely agree with the individual from Wisconsin that the A/S is absolutely the right tire for that sportier feel. But on the S2000. Not on the LS. Even though slated as all season, the best mileage I got out of the rear set on my car was about 15K miles and I literally drove 78 miles one way on highways (except for maybe 2 miles to get off the highway) every day at 55 MPH. While the earlier Bridgestone RE760s had somewhat lasted longer but performed worse, the Pilots excited me in that the immediate feedback was a less noisier cabin. And on a long commute, I rated this my number one priority. The car handled well and provided great steering feedback from the tires. But the ride was stiff. STIFF. Every bump on that single lane highway system was etched into my muscle memory and after the tires were put on, those bumps were more pronounced. The Bridgestones at least somewhat felt like they were soaking up the bumps but these tires just enunciated the bumps. And the tires had low tread life. LOWER than rated by Michelin themselves. The tires ARE cheap - I can agree with that.

Now - would I ever mishandle an LS by putting on the A/S 3s? Heck no. The LS is a luxury sedan, a heavy one at that. And the MXV4 suits the driving characteristics of the car perfectly. Yes - I love taking an exit a little faster once in a while or maybe a turn off that I know has this sweeping curve or that back to back set of gentle curves that I know have no traffic but I can do that with the MXV4s and come out perfectly happy with the outcome. In the back of my mind, I also know that I should not expect a squatted low COG riding on rails stiff frame suspension sportster feeling either because the LS is not that car. The MXV4 lasts longer, drives as good as the A/S 3s and ride quality is best suited for the softer suspension shod in most LSs.

- T
Old 11-19-15 | 07:11 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thanks

What da ya have to loose. They are 25 percent cheaper than the Premiers, have a 45 k warrantee, a promise guarantee you can trade em for Premiers without penalty in 30 days if you do not like em. You have a member who has logged 220k miles on 2 ls's countless tires who is telling ya they are as quiet as the MXV4, always aligned at the dealer and there is only an improvement in every regard over the MXV4(maybe mileage drops 5 percent).

No one else has mounted on an LS430 and has a personel opinion on the tire but me. Live by reviews, I did they where second in the class of High Performance A/S tires. However, if ya want to read reviews when you can try em for free great. I just thought I might make folks smile whenever they get in their LS like I used to when I got my first one October 08. This wore off as the stodgy feel of MXV4's and many miles on my LS got boring. You will notice the stark difference night and day to the MXV4 within 5 miles. does it make the LS a infinit no and if I gave ya that impression I apologise but it is such an improvement it is undenaible IMO.

I will keep ya abreast of the wear but they where bought at the dealer rotated regularly and if they do not provide close to 45k miles I get em prorated and I will just get another set. Better yet I will mount the Premiers and try em that will be 7th set of different tires on my LS's

To change the subject there is a 70 dollar rebate as of 11/16 from Michelin sorry if I am too animated for the a/s season touring crowd which it seems this forum prefers.

I did have my buddy drive my Pilot shoed LS when he had an 05 ML which he drove for 100k miles and sold it with MXV4's and he felt same way I do. He has a house now in northern Wisco bought a Outback wishes he would have bought a TDI Touareg when he drove mine.
Old 11-19-15 | 09:10 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I certainly value hearing the experience you had with the Pilots A/S on the S2000. I will make sure to not put them on a 2800 lb Roadster like a Miata, BMW, etc. Be nice to have one for the summer
Old 11-19-15 | 04:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by warminwisc
What da ya have to loose.
Time, energy, effort. Why would I want to expend those things when the "benefits" of these tires aren't anything that I'm interested in for this car? I don't want it to handle better at the expense of any ride quality...because what this car does well is ride well and thats why I bought it...thats the whole point.
Old 11-19-15 | 04:41 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Time, energy, effort. Why would I want to expend those things when the "benefits" of these tires aren't anything that I'm interested in for this car? I don't want it to handle better at the expense of any ride quality...because what this car does well is ride well and thats why I bought it...thats the whole point.
I don't get it. This forum section is for reviews. Not an "I don't get it reviews". It's free drive the pilot a/s for free then get the premiers. Ask this forum I am not a total wackjob maybe partial SW,lol. I give up I concede boo yah!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-15 | 04:57 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Don't take it personally Warm. It's great to hear your reviews. Honestly, I will probably go with the Pilots on my WRX when its time because for me I want a more aggressive performance tire. On my LS I personally prefer someone more comfortable and longer lasting because of the amount of mileage I am putting on and type of ride I am looking for with the LS.
Old 11-19-15 | 05:02 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I don't get it. This forum section is for reviews. Not an "I don't get it reviews". It's free drive the pilot a/s for free then get the premiers. Ask this forum I am not a total wackjob maybe partial SW,lol. I give up I concede boo yah!!!!!!!!
Time energy effort. It was worth it to me maybe others? I told Berstrom I got 30 days right? Is was an hour plus to install prolly an hour plus to swap tires At day 29 I told em I'd keep em. From this thread I hope people get ThePromise Guarantee. Driving home today in the wind of this new storm. I was a lot safer feeling than the mxv4 much more settled to the road just me ok. No offense maybe they are s$&t.
Old 11-19-15 | 05:05 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Your hilarious warm Quoting your own post
Old 11-19-15 | 07:58 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Thanks

What da ya have to loose. They are 25 percent cheaper than the Premiers, have a 45 k warrantee, a promise guarantee you can trade em for Premiers without penalty in 30 days if you do not like em. You have a member who has logged 220k miles on 2 ls's countless tires who is telling ya they are as quiet as the MXV4, always aligned at the dealer and there is only an improvement in every regard over the MXV4(maybe mileage drops 5 percent).

No one else has mounted on an LS430 and has a personel opinion on the tire but me. Live by reviews, I did they where second in the class of High Performance A/S tires. However, if ya want to read reviews when you can try em for free great. I just thought I might make folks smile whenever they get in their LS like I used to when I got my first one October 08. This wore off as the stodgy feel of MXV4's and many miles on my LS got boring. You will notice the stark difference night and day to the MXV4 within 5 miles. does it make the LS a infinit no and if I gave ya that impression I apologise but it is such an improvement it is undenaible IMO.

I will keep ya abreast of the wear but they where bought at the dealer rotated regularly and if they do not provide close to 45k miles I get em prorated and I will just get another set. Better yet I will mount the Premiers and try em that will be 7th set of different tires on my LS's

To change the subject there is a 70 dollar rebate as of 11/16 from Michelin sorry if I am too animated for the a/s season touring crowd which it seems this forum prefers.

I did have my buddy drive my Pilot shoed LS when he had an 05 ML which he drove for 100k miles and sold it with MXV4's and he felt same way I do. He has a house now in northern Wisco bought a Outback wishes he would have bought a TDI Touareg when he drove mine.
I do not doubt for a second that Pilots will make the LS feel sportier as well but at what cost? That cost is highlighted in my earlier post. And in SW15LS's post. As an opinion to counter your opinion.

As for 30 day trial - I will not be able to drive 30K miles in 30 days to prove that the tire life warranty is useless. Having 45K mile warranty, watching these tires burn off in less miles AND paying for pro-rated replacements are not my cup of tea. And here is where I do place some value in the reviews I read on Tirerack and other sources before purchasing a certain brand or model for a certain car in my garage. Or in this case, a forum for the LS.
Old 11-20-15 | 05:41 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

I don't wanna get into another internet tire, wiener measuring contest, but I've been shopping for a second LS430 and had a chance to drive cars wth several of the tires discussed here, includng the Pilot Sport AS3. Disclaimer: My experiece with this tire is very, very limited, but my first impression is that it gave noticeably better handling and the loss of ride comfort and noise was less than I thought it would be. I could still tell a difference between the Pilot and my Premier when it comes to both ride comfort and noise, but my very limited experience with the tire on the LS430 makes me think it wouldn't be a terrible choice for someone who wanted a sharper feel to their LS. If ultimate ride comfort and noise is the objective, probably not the best choice. But the difference was far less than I thought it would be. Now, these tires were almost new and they were on a well-maintained LS. Can't speak to how they would be after they age or on a different cars that wasn't as well maintained.
Old 11-20-15 | 06:57 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by Bob04
I don't wanna get into another internet tire, wiener measuring contest, but I've been shopping for a second LS430 and had a chance to drive cars wth several of the tires discussed here, includng the Pilot Sport AS3. Disclaimer: My experiece with this tire is very, very limited, but my first impression is that it gave noticeably better handling and the loss of ride comfort and noise was less than I thought it would be. I could still tell a difference between the Pilot and my Premier when it comes to both ride comfort and noise, but my very limited experience with the tire on the LS430 makes me think it wouldn't be a terrible choice for someone who wanted a sharper feel to their LS. If ultimate ride comfort and noise is the objective, probably not the best choice. But the difference was far less than I thought it would be. Now, these tires were almost new and they were on a well-maintained LS. Can't speak to how they would be after they age or on a different cars that wasn't as well maintained.
great info - thanks!

Quick Reply: The Michelin Tire Review Thread