LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

The Michelin Tire Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 11:10 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

The WRX came with summer tires. Dunlop Sport Maxx. They have very good traction now but terrible snow ratings. Pondering a set of snow rims +tires for this car too.
Old 11-20-15, 11:59 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The WRX came with summer tires. Dunlop Sport Maxx. They have very good traction now but terrible snow ratings. Pondering a set of snow rims +tires for this car too.
Just tires. Glad you guys are more knowledgable than me. Why the bitterness though over a tire? Did ya listen to the reviews I posted?

so you don't believe me no need to beat me down when you have never owned em. I never don't get close to the mileage on my tires dump em at 5/32
Why do you have to beat me down? I have driven 35k miles a year for 15 years this the best this car has driven FOR ME. Why can't ya give me that? Three questions please?

Who cares though glad you guys are happy with the ride of yur LS really.
Old 11-20-15, 12:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Just tires. Glad you guys are more knowledgable than me. Why the bitterness though over a tire? Did ya listen to the reviews I posted?

so you don't believe me no need to beat me down when you have never owned em. I never don't get close to the mileage on my tires dump em at 5/32
Why do you have to beat me down? I have driven 35k miles a year for 15 years this the best this car has driven FOR ME. Why can't ya give me that? Three questions please?

Who cares though glad you guys are happy with the ride of yur LS really.
No bitterness here, my issue with the way you present them is that you oversell what is possible for them to do for the car, and you denigrate the traditional options as being "stodgy" making the car a "coffin" "boring" etc...when the characteristics those tires exhibit math the characteristics of the car...and presumably most people who bought this car bought it for those characteristics specifically.

That sort of zealotry and denigration of other more traditional options is going to get a response from me every time.
Old 11-20-15, 02:01 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Question 1 How do criticise what is "oversell what is possible for them to do" if you have never driven them?

Question 2 The other professional drivers felt the same way I do in the Michelin Promo(Promo yes but this is the tire company you think so highly of) do ya think we are all "overselling what is possible for them to do"? If so why would all these guys fib? did you listen to the Promo piece I posted2 1/2?

There can be a paradigm shift the Lexus is meant to be a sporty, quiet, settled cruiser with the right tire, per me. All these folks that tell me they are going to wear out how do you be so forceful if you have never driven them? (well I just know, Right right)

Who says it has to handle a certain way as its genetic makeup as you seem to believe.

Three questions again SW all in fun but I am perflexed. Never thought I was zealoutous/denegrating them I hear folks all the time say is is a boring boaty ride(where is Lav my ace in the hole he was trying to sell his). I have driven longer than prolly anyone on this forum and bought a second. Been on since Oct 08 Lets have a beer?

Or just answer number 2 and 2 1/2
Old 11-20-15, 03:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default The Michelin Tire Review Thread

Agreed, all in good fun!

I don't doubt the tires are good tires, I just don't think they're well suited to the LS. You're trying to make the LS something it's not. That's fine if that's what you want, but there needs to be a disclaimer on your enthusiasm for those shopping for tires. Tires are very important for how these cars ride and drive.

Pilot Super Sports are incredible tires, but I wouldn't put them on an LS.

The car is not at all meant to be sporty. If you want to see a car that Lexus designed to be refined AND sporty you should drive a 4GS...I'd put those tires on a GS in a heartbeat.
Old 11-20-15, 05:43 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Frickin tire threads man.....they are very necessary but since opinion based, things get twisted. Everyone has their right to their own opinion...and preferences. The thing that would hit my nerve was being crazy crazy clear about something then having that be mis-quoted...twisted...and turned around.

Funny thing....I was re installing my amplifier today in the trunk.....and noticed my spare tire was one of the world famous MXV4s!!!!! ....im on the team.....put me in coach! I removed it.....caressed it.....gave her some psi....noted even tread wear.....and reinstalled in the belly of the trunk.

My one question for this thread.......have we determined yet from the Michelin guys which is preferred the new Premier or the MXV4? From what I have read in a few short threads...u guys like the Premiers but still yearn to be able to purchase a fresh set of MXV4s
Old 11-20-15, 06:06 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

MXV4's are like the first girl you fell in love with. Hard to totally let go...

If it makes you guys feel any better my Dunlop Sport Maxx's on the WRX have a tread life of 240.

Probably will need a set after 15k miles.
Old 11-20-15, 06:26 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

We are all good then,

I get it they are not Pilot Super Sports. Could never run em they fair poorly in sub 45 temps tread life is like 250 A/S 3 are 500. A/S 3 all Season not Summer. Just go into it with the 30 day Promise Guarantee "if " you have time and ya I freeked out over the difference over the MXV4 H and V, again JUST ME! I Unfortunatly am in my car 2 hours a day, sucky. Pays the bills.

The Pro Drivers felt the same way I do FWIW just listen. But its a Michelin Promo.
Old 11-20-15, 07:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by warminwisc

The Pro Drivers felt the same way I do FWIW just listen. But its a Michelin Promo.

I get it they are not Pilot Super Sports.
And the pro drivers are driving cars that benefit from the positives of the Pilots more than the LS.

I wouldn't put Pilot Super Sports on the LS either.

Originally Posted by jpv77794
My one question for this thread.......have we determined yet from the Michelin guys which is preferred the new Premier or the MXV4? From what I have read in a few short threads...u guys like the Premiers but still yearn to be able to purchase a fresh set of MXV4s
I have been watching old TireRack reviews and it seems pretty clear that the Premier is not as smooth and quiet as the Primacy MXV4. Case in point, when they compared the Primacy MXV4 to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus they noted the MXV4s rode slightly better and were slightly quieter. When they compared the Premier to the same Pirelli, the Pirelli got the nod in those areas. So...by comparison the MXV4 would be smoother and quieter than the Premier.

The Premier doesn't come in my LS460's size, but the Pirelli does and 99% thats what I'll be buying and would be if it were I think. If I could chose between the MXV4 and the Pirelli I would choose the MXV4.

Originally Posted by Lavrishivo
If it makes you guys feel any better my Dunlop Sport Maxx's on the WRX have a tread life of 240.
At least its a sports car with UHP tires. The Turanzas that came on my 460 have a treadwear rating of 240! A touring tire!
Old 11-20-15, 07:39 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS

At least its a sports car with UHP tires. The Turanzas that came on my 460 have a treadwear rating of 240! A touring tire!
A touring tire with only a 240 tread wear rating!? That is like a slap in the face.

You know one thing to consider about the Premier's over the P7's SW is that they don't loose braking distance and traction as they wear. This is a feature that the MXV4's can't compete with either. When speaking with some guys at the tire shop they mentioned that the Premier's seemed to almost get better as they "break in" and wear. Either way, the Premiers or the P7's will be an excellent choice.

You are right, the Dunlop's do grip very well in both wet and dry. But with snow right around the corner it is a concern.
Old 11-20-15, 07:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
A touring tire with only a 240 tread wear rating!? That is like a slap in the face.
On a brand new $80k car, absolutely! Lexus picks some crummy tires...

You know one thing to consider about the Premier's over the P7's SW is that they don't loose braking distance and traction as they wear. This is a feature that the MXV4's can't compete with either. When speaking with some guys at the tire shop they mentioned that the Premier's seemed to almost get better as they "break in" and wear. Either way, the Premiers or the P7's will be an excellent choice.

You are right, the Dunlop's do grip very well in both wet and dry. But with snow right around the corner it is a concern.
I haven't really found though that I've had problems with braking distance and traction as tires age, and I replace tires pretty early, around 4/32nd of tread, so I don't know about how much value I'd be getting there vs the Pirellis.

Anyways, Premiers don't come in my size so its moot. Thought about the Primacy MXM4 but I spoke with folks at TireRack and tread depot and they told me that the Pirellis would be quieter.

I'm typically a Michelin guy, but I'm not sold on the Premier like I was the MXV4.

The Bridgestones aren't as bad as everybody lets on. I think the LS being as quiet as it is helps hide how loud they are. There is some sharp feel to bumps and expansion joints that I did not have in my 430 or 400, feels like the tires are lower profile. They ARE, but with 50 series tires they're still pretty thick, 430 as you know had 55 series rubber on the 17s and the 400 had 60 series rubber on the 16s.

Hard to describe, its like in the 400 and 430 you never cringed when you saw a sharp expansion joint coming but I do a little on these tires.

I feel confident better tires will solve that, or at least lessen it dramatically based on the results other 460 owners have had with new rubber.

Suffice it to say, I think that they'll be an upgrade:

Old 11-21-15, 02:00 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts

I think I'm with warm. could have got another set of MXV4's but want something better. right now his choice is my next set. Pirellie might make the short list, but he makes a few good points and I use up tires way before the milage warrenty also. I like to buy tires. bought a lot over the years Firestone/ Bridgestone suck
Old 11-21-15, 06:04 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

SW15, are you on a 19 inch wheel? Seriously, if you want comfort why not switch to a 17 or 18 inch. I know it may not look as nice but with the additional sidewall you will absorb so much more road imperfections. And you get more tire choices. I put 20's on a Mustang I had years ago. Man was that a mistake when it came to comfort. Plus your tire life will go up a lot if you went with a 17 inch rim.

This is the main reason why I did not change my 17's on the 430. I think it's an ideal size for performance, comfort, and tire life. The additional benefit to the bigger sidewall is it also transfers less impact to to your suspension and therefore prolonging it's life as well.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-21-15 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-21-15, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default The Michelin Tire Review Thread

No mine are 18s, that's why I got a 460 with the 18s instead of the 19s. The 19s on the 460 have 45 series tires, same as the 18s on the 430.

I don't think 17s will fit over the 460s brakes, and even then the 460 has an unusual bolt pattern, so older Lexus wheels for instance won't work.
Old 11-21-15, 06:58 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

9/15/15 Lavrishevo...... thinking of selling my car "want something sportier and fun to drive" Hence the WRX. I did not mean to denigrate or cut down the LS SW or anyone else. Just echoing some other sentiments heard on this forum as recent as 2 months ago. With better handling the thing is a keeper. I think the reason I feel it suffers little from a jarring ride is 18's are such a big tire and has softer tread compound for cold temps.

SW did anyone ever tell ya you have a stubborn streak? Just having fun

Quick Reply: The Michelin Tire Review Thread