LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-15, 09:34 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Brake Issues

hi everyone. About 3500 miles ago I replaced my rear brake pads with Akebono ceramic pads. The rears were worn down and I just got it done, easy. Over the past 500 miles or so I am feeling some pulsation when I brake from 65 mph. Its not terrible but I am really in tune with the car and its not right. When I replaced the pads I didn't do anything to the rear rotors, should I have? I am wondering if I should have the rear rotors machined or just replace them. My car has 111k miles in her. The front pads look good and will last a while before a replacement is needing so I am focusing on the rear at this time. Any insight?
Old 11-16-15, 11:40 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Sometimes when only brake pads are replaced, the "bedding" process for the new pads against the old rotors causes brake chatter, and that may be what you are experiencing. (The surface of the rotor was bedded for the old pad.) If the rotor is not too worn, you could try cleaning the surface with a solvent (may not work), or have them machined to remove the glaze. Then re-bed the new pads. Or replace the rotors. http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85
Old 11-16-15, 02:29 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Thanks Tom. I am considering having them machined. They look to be in good shape.
Old 11-16-15, 02:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbthompson
hi everyone. About 3500 miles ago I replaced my rear brake pads with Akebono ceramic pads. The rears were worn down and I just got it done, easy. Over the past 500 miles or so I am feeling some pulsation when I brake from 65 mph. Its not terrible but I am really in tune with the car and its not right. When I replaced the pads I didn't do anything to the rear rotors, should I have? I am wondering if I should have the rear rotors machined or just replace them. My car has 111k miles in her. The front pads look good and will last a while before a replacement is needing so I am focusing on the rear at this time. Any insight?
I assume you are definitely hearing/feeling that pulse from the back as opposed to the front brakes? The reason I ask is that most of the work and effort required to stop a car is put on the front brakes. Do the rotors on the rear look clean and smooth? Any wear areas, grooves, deposits or coating on the rotor surface? I'd also pull the pads and see if they are coated or glazed with anything weird or have any abnormal or asymmetrical wear.
Old 11-16-15, 02:46 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

I am assuming its the rears as the front pads are new and haven't given me any trouble. It feels like a wobble in the back, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 11-16-15, 02:52 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

You have non-OEM pads on OEM rotors. Therein may be your problem.

Edit: If the wobble is definitely from the rear, and it wasn't there before the new brake pads, it's very likely that your rotors need to be machined slightly to remove the glazing from the old and new pads.

Last edited by Tom57; 11-16-15 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 03:24 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I didn't see if this was specified, but how are you feeling the pulsation?

If the steering wheel is vibrating, usually that means the front rotors. If it's a rear rotor issue, usually you feel it in the brake pedal. So I'm assuming the brake pedal vibrates when you come to a stop?

Considering it was 3000 or so miles or so until it became an issue, it may have been something that developed after the fact.

If you have a nearby place that will turn the rotors for a good price, you can give that a shot. In my area, basically nobody does it for retail customers, so I just put new rotors on there if it's an issue. I have had much better luck replacing rotors than having them turned for pulsation issues.
Old 11-17-15, 03:26 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Thanks Brad. I am feeling it in the steering wheel. Its subtle. I have called a few places and they weren't thrilled about machining them, recommended they replace the rotors. I guess I could just do that. I know everyone loves OEM, but are there other options people recommend?
Old 11-17-15, 03:36 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

If it's coming through the steering wheel, you should probably be looking at the front rotors, not the rear. So it doesn't look like what you did with the rear has anything to do with it (most likely)

Also, if it's subtle and only happens at coming from a stop at highway speeds and not driving around town, I don't think it's something that needs to be done immediately. (assuming there's plenty of life on the pads)

I've had really good luck with Centric Premium rotors and Wagner Thermoquiet pads.
Old 11-17-15, 03:39 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Thank you. Its not a huge deal. I am replacing my lower ball joints this weekend and am starting to replace some other parts so i may wait on this. I LOVE this car but I have put a lot of repairs into over the past year.
Old 11-23-15, 11:00 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbthompson
Thanks Brad. I am feeling it in the steering wheel. Its subtle. I have called a few places and they weren't thrilled about machining them, recommended they replace the rotors. I guess I could just do that. I know everyone loves OEM, but are there other options people recommend?
Some auto parts places cut the rotors for very cheap. Oriellys Auto in my area does them for less than $10 each. Its saved me a few hundred dollars. Cutting the rotors makes a big difference when doing a brake job. Especially with ceramic pads.