LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus dealer tranny fluid change: not flush, but more than a drain and fill...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-15, 05:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Lexus dealer tranny fluid change: not flush, but more than a drain and fill...

So I'm back in Knoxville and finally want to get my transmission serviced.

(Side note: I drove straight through from West Hollywood to East TN, mostly going 90+, well over 100 for many stretches on end. I made a 31 hour drive in 26. Car performed flawlessly. I knew I'd have no problems, but these cars are just rock solid, even when old.)

I talked to my trusty service advisor about a fluid change, and he told me about their service. I trust this guy and he and the Lexus dealer have always done right by me, even if it is overpriced. They know me down there.

It's $274.00+tax for a fluid swap. He said bc it's a sealed unit they have to "pressurize it" and make sure the "WS Fluid isn't exposed to dust, etc. in the air." They have a machine they use where both ends are connected, where one sort of "presses" the fluid in while the bottom one "pulls" the old fluid out. He reiterated, several times, that this IS NOT A FLUSH. Lexus of Knoxville won't flush sealed units, for the reasons we all know and have discussed.. Although, he says this will completely swap all of my fluid out bc of this machine. Never really heard of this procedure. But, it's nice to know I won't have to do any more drains and fills.

Anyone had this done? I figured it was just the full flush or the drain and fill (where you have to do it several times before you completely swap the fluid out). Looking forward to getting this done in the near future. Transmission still shifts flawlessly, but I can tell she needs some fresh fluid. The car is nearly 12 years old with 116k, that's some old fluid.

Last edited by AJT123; 11-17-15 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 06:56 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I had my changed by Lexus when my 2005 was 9 years old and had 125,000 miles. Paid the same. No regrets.
Old 11-17-15, 07:28 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123;9256931... Transmission still shifts flawlessly,[B
but I can tell she needs some fresh fluid[/B]. The car is nearly 12 years old with 116k, that's some old fluid.
Really? How can you tell, given that it shifts flawlessly?
FYI, I just changed mine out (a 2003 with 94K) and the fluid was hardly recognizable as transmission fluid but it still shifted perfectly and I couldn't tell any difference with the fresh fluid in. I did the 'poor-mans flush' (pull the high pressure line off the radiator and let the trans pump it's fluid out). Changed 8 quarts that way.
Old 11-17-15, 07:30 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts

had mine done at the toyota dealer 25k miles ago and no issues.06ls
Old 11-17-15, 07:43 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

It is a flush just maybe not a "power flush" machine. Drain and refill has been the tried and true method and what I will stick with. It is also what is outlined in the service manual. There are reason why Aisin engineers believe it's not good to replace all off the transmission fluid at once. I still say this idea of changing transmission fluid like changing the oil is folly.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-18-15 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-17-15, 08:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
It is a flush just maybe not a "power flush" machine. Your either drain and refill slowly over time or remove all the fluid via a flushing machine. Drain and refill has been the tried and true method and what I will stick with. It is also what is outlined in the service manual. There are reason why engineers believe it's not good to replace all off the transmission fluid at once. I still say this idea of changing transmission fluid like changing the oil is folly.
I would rather drain and fill over time also, but that will cost me way more in the long run, the dealer backs up their work, and they've never done me wrong.

He was specific, more than once, in saying that it was not a flush, for reasons of "dislodging bits and pieces".....yadda yadda, basically he sounded like us on here. Basically repeated what we've said as the reasons for not doing full flushes. I was quite impressed with his knowledge, as he said he spoke to the master tech about it. They remember me from before I moved away as "the guy who said he'd drive the LS430 until he could be buried in it", lol.
Old 11-18-15, 04:44 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

My guess is that it was a BG fluid exchange. The Lexus dealer performed this service on my LS400. The dealer uses the BG machine and additives. You can find information on the BG website.

You have to make sure they use the appropriate Toyota fluid. Some Lexus dealers use Valvoline or other companies equivalents. You have to specify. Mine was originally done with a Valvoline equivalent and did not shift properly afterwards. When I looked at the invoice and saw Dextron II rather than T-4, I went back and nicely pointed it out to the senior tech. After much discussion, they drained the Dextron II and put in T-4. The transmission shifted perfectly. Surprising that the dealer would not use an equivalent but true.
Old 11-18-15, 09:24 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I recently took my LS430 to my local Toyota dealer because they have done a transmission fluid exchange on my 2007 4Runner which also had a sealed transmission. I told them I wanted an exchange and I also supplied 12-14qts of Amsoil WS Fluid. 2 hours later I got my car back. Later that night when I got home I smelt burning transmission fluid. I figured maybe some got somewhere and was just burning off. Next morning I pulled out of the garage and saw a small puddle of transmission fluid on my floor. I looked in my trunk to see how much transmission fluid was left from what I supplied. They only used 4qts!! I was pissed. I took it back to the dealer and said it was leaking and that they must have only done a drain and fill and not an exchange. Later that day they told me the fill plug was loose and that the transmission only hold 3 qts. Ridiculous. According to the service manual it has a capacity of over 7qts. I told them this and he went to the service manager. Manager said the fluid in the torque converter doesn't get changed out with an exchange. IDIOTS! It all gets exchanged with an exchange. I wasted $115 for something I did't ask for. I was hoping to get a call from the dealer asking about my experience but for some reason never got a call...
Old 11-20-15, 03:59 PM
kimsey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
It is a flush just maybe not a "power flush" machine. Drain and refill has been the tried and true method and what I will stick with. It is also what is outlined in the service manual. There are reason why Aisin engineers believe it's not good to replace all off the transmission fluid at once. I still say this idea of changing transmission fluid like changing the oil is folly.
Hey Lav would you keep the old filter in as well. I'm contemplating changing it on my 02 with 180k.

Side Note: I notice you say you have family in Newnan, GA. I also work there and noticed a silver LS 430 going that way coming from the Palmetto exit this week. Just was thinking what were the chances it was Lav from CL
Old 11-20-15, 06:12 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Aisin states that you should not drop the pan unless you need to make a mechanical repair to the transmission. The filter is more of a screen and does not need to be serviced.

My brother lives in Newman and I used to travel back and forth often but I am now in NJ.
Old 11-20-15, 06:15 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
I recently took my LS430 to my local Toyota dealer because they have done a transmission fluid exchange on my 2007 4Runner which also had a sealed transmission. I told them I wanted an exchange and I also supplied 12-14qts of Amsoil WS Fluid. 2 hours later I got my car back. Later that night when I got home I smelt burning transmission fluid. I figured maybe some got somewhere and was just burning off. Next morning I pulled out of the garage and saw a small puddle of transmission fluid on my floor. I looked in my trunk to see how much transmission fluid was left from what I supplied. They only used 4qts!! I was pissed. I took it back to the dealer and said it was leaking and that they must have only done a drain and fill and not an exchange. Later that day they told me the fill plug was loose and that the transmission only hold 3 qts. Ridiculous. According to the service manual it has a capacity of over 7qts. I told them this and he went to the service manager. Manager said the fluid in the torque converter doesn't get changed out with an exchange. IDIOTS! It all gets exchanged with an exchange. I wasted $115 for something I did't ask for. I was hoping to get a call from the dealer asking about my experience but for some reason never got a call...
It is true that the pan only hold about 2.5 - 3 quarts unless you park on ramps. Then you will get another few quarts. The ideal way to service a transmission is by drain and refills because of how the clutch packs wear. It's not like changing the oil in the engine. Viscosity is not the real concern. Lowering metal content without shocking the transmission with 12 quarts of new oil is the best approach. There is a lot more going on. I personally would stick to WS fluid because the additives are formulated to the transmission. Amsoil is great stuff but the additive package is different and not necessarily beneficial. Anyway, it has been shown with the LS400 that those who do drain and refills slowly over the life of the car get the longest life out of their transmissions.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-20-15 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-24-15, 12:28 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just talked with my dealer over the phone. And it seems like they offer 2 options to service the tranny oil.

1- Drain & Fill, $180.
2- Full electric flush and fill, $380.

And the oil used is the genuine WS World Standard fluid.
This my local Lexus dealer.