LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Battery drained

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-15, 06:47 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
I went to o'reillys and they determined that the battery is bad. Also found out that the local Toyota dealer doesn't warrant Lexus parts.
The battery is a 84 month bought three years ago.
Why wouldn't you take the battery back to Lexus since it's a Lexus battery?
Old 12-10-15, 07:29 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
Why wouldn't you take the battery back to Lexus since it's a Lexus battery?
Nearest Lexus dealer is an hour and half drive. I assumed since Toyota makes Lexus that Toyota could do the warranty work.
The Toyota tech said Lexus doesn't reimburse them for warranty work.
Old 12-11-15, 07:13 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

I haven't called Lexus yet but am expecting them to tell me that they have to install it for a fee.

After reading a ton of reviews on car batteries I'm probably going with the Everstart Maxx from Wal-mart since I have a local store near me. Seems to get good reviews from Consumer reports and is almost half the cost of a top of the line battery anywhere else.
Old 12-11-15, 09:11 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

I called Lexus in Shreveport (nearest one to me) and they said if the battery tested bad that it would fall in the 50% pro-rated so a $160 battery would then be about $90 after taxes.
So either way when i replace the battery I will just buy the Everstart Maxx for about $115.00.
Good news is that after buying a better Voltmeter the battery tested to 12.70 V. The voltmeter I bought has a battery check option and it said it was good.
Old 12-11-15, 03:47 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
I called Lexus in Shreveport (nearest one to me) and they said if the battery tested bad that it would fall in the 50% pro-rated so a $160 battery would then be about $90 after taxes.
So either way when i replace the battery I will just buy the Everstart Maxx for about $115.00.
Good news is that after buying a better Voltmeter the battery tested to 12.70 V. The voltmeter I bought has a battery check option and it said it was good.
Good plan. Premium cost batteries with zillion month pro-rated warranties are generally a bad plan - they are actually less than worthless... the long pro-rated warranty period is nothing more than a scam to lock the consumer into buying another high profit margin battery (when the first one fails in month xx) by having them pre-pay a price premium on initial purchase.

Instead look for a battery sold with full replacement 36 month or longer warranty....full replacement has actual value. Costco, Sams, Walmart sell decent 36 month full replacement batteries.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 12-11-15 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-10-16, 06:30 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sparkin'

Thanks to the OP for posting the procedure.
I had to remove and clean my battery today because it went dead (had it parked in garage too long) and while recharging, it appears that my trickle/float charger heated the battery and acid leaked out of the top holes, and drained down onto my garage floor.
Never seen that before on a 800 milliamp charger.

My own observations:

1) Those two attachments on the side of the cover that hold the positive wires are a pain to remove. And not the best design choice- they could have been attached to the battery tray, not the cover. As if they need any support at all in that area - in just a few inches they join the harness, anyway. I took a small screwdriver and lifted the locking tabs so they can just slide out.

2) While researching what to do on other web pages, I saw multiple mentions that, to reduce sparking, it is best to remove the ground connector first, then the positive connector. And reverse the order when re-connecting.

3) The battery tray has numerous drain channels and the bottom has a hole that butts up against a ~5" plastic drain hose that empties somewhere within the plastic inner fender. I'd rather see the hose routed all the way down to the bottom of the car, but I guess it's not critical if all that the acid can contact is plastic. Speaking of bad design, the tray is held down by 3 bolts - all with the same thread, but 2 bolts have 10mm heads, and the bolt on the passenger side has a 9mm head!

4) Battery acid + polished concrete garage floor = permanent etching. It ain't smooth no mo' !