LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS400 for new driver what do u guys think

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-15, 01:05 PM
beer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you can cause a lot of damage in a prius or a smart car (you don't need a big heavy car). there are just so many distractions out there today.

I think if the kid can understand the risks of distracted driving an LS wouldn't necessarily be a bad choice. it wouldn't be my first choice though.
Old 12-14-15, 06:15 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Keep in mind...I was looking at the 400 because it is big which in turn makes it safe if he does impact a pole or a building...or a car. If he wants to drive bad enough he can work for his gas money. I think the 400 has to be one of the more reliable beaters on the road.....although my 430 has cost me a pretty penny to keep her maintained.
The truck I was talking about is the smaller Toyota Tacoma 4x4............

Now I am thinking older Subaru Outback...those are def slow
Old 12-14-15, 06:52 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by beer
you can cause a lot of damage in a prius or a smart car (you don't need a big heavy car). there are just so many distractions out there today.

I think if the kid can understand the risks of distracted driving an LS wouldn't necessarily be a bad choice. it wouldn't be my first choice though.
You're right. Kids should just ride bicycles those are nice and safe. Or you know any car can be weaponized, why not go all out and let the kid drive a MAC truck?

Pick up trucks are uniquely dangerous because they don't protect their occupants super well in a crash (and body on frame SUVs have the same issue) and they're dangerous to other vehicles because they have big, stiff frame rails that are high off the ground. Also, trucks have much worse traction budgets and more serious consequences of breaking traction. I can 100% guarantee that a roof wouldn't collapse on a new Audi A4 or Subaru Legacy that flipped - unlike the late 90s Silverado that claimed the life of two 17 year olds.

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Keep in mind...I was looking at the 400 because it is big which in turn makes it safe if he does impact a pole or a building...or a car. If he wants to drive bad enough he can work for his gas money. I think the 400 has to be one of the more reliable beaters on the road.....although my 430 has cost me a pretty penny to keep her maintained.
The truck I was talking about is the smaller Toyota Tacoma 4x4............

Now I am thinking older Subaru Outback...those are def slow
Size doesn't matter nearly as much as engineering. The LS400 is much safer than a comparable Buick Regal. And the LS430 is even safer. Generally, Subarus are very safe but the newer ones are much safer than the old ones. An old Toyota truck is also a good idea, but they can be pricey. The First gen Toyota Prius might also be interesting. They're very reliable and pretty safe. Too dorky to hoon.

Do you have a feel for whether the individual wants to drive in College? If you just need a car to get him though high school, why not get a beater Chevy and run it into the ground? I've seen some Luminas take serious abuse.
Old 12-14-15, 07:28 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Ive always thought an older LS would be great for a kid to learn on. Ive never gotten a speeding ticket since i got mine. It wants to be driven slowly. Very safe car, very reliable. Gas is a little more than a 6 but it's cheap now anyway. I'd go for a 98-00 LS400. No nav or air suspension.
Old 12-14-15, 07:37 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

The young man is currently 17....I am his Uncle. His father recently passed away from the C word and I am trying to help my sister in many ways. First kid in 2nd year of college already has car and good to go. 2nd kid....this one....17 and taking driving lessons. Next kid is the baby at 14 and isnt thinking about cars yet.

They have lost their male roll model and i want to make sure the kids continue to get good grades, have good morals and ethics etc....vs taking different tracks in life. Cars can get you in a bunch of trouble when you are young.....im not too proud of what I did with my high school car...that was 35yrs a go but man I needed that car!!!! This kid needs a car to launch him into some independence.....get him off of the damn video games....and to help him find a nice girl to fall in puppy love with. He wouldnt be allowed to have the car on campus for freshman yr of college but his mom is trying to get him to go to college local to help with last kid. In that case the 17/18 yr old could help with driving duties while momma is working her butt off......I dont have kids...Im not even sure what the legal driving age is....and let me be very clear........very clear........I think kids really need a lot of windshield time to become safe drivers....especially if driving their younger brother around. Was that clear? But he needs to at least get started as this will help his mother in a huge way. Sorry for the ramble
Old 12-15-15, 04:20 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
The young man is currently 17....I am his Uncle. His father recently passed away from the C word and I am trying to help my sister in many ways. First kid in 2nd year of college already has car and good to go. 2nd kid....this one....17 and taking driving lessons. Next kid is the baby at 14 and isnt thinking about cars yet.

They have lost their male roll model and i want to make sure the kids continue to get good grades, have good morals and ethics etc....vs taking different tracks in life. Cars can get you in a bunch of trouble when you are young.....im not too proud of what I did with my high school car...that was 35yrs a go but man I needed that car!!!! This kid needs a car to launch him into some independence.....get him off of the damn video games....and to help him find a nice girl to fall in puppy love with. He wouldnt be allowed to have the car on campus for freshman yr of college but his mom is trying to get him to go to college local to help with last kid. In that case the 17/18 yr old could help with driving duties while momma is working her butt off......I dont have kids...Im not even sure what the legal driving age is....and let me be very clear........very clear........I think kids really need a lot of windshield time to become safe drivers....especially if driving their younger brother around. Was that clear? But he needs to at least get started as this will help his mother in a huge way. Sorry for the ramble
As a father of 8 kids (all mine), I commend you on your assistance however the best thing you can do for a young man is to steer him clear away from girls until he has finished his degree and has a job. My 3rd oldest son is QB of the high school football team and isn't allowed to date. My 2nd oldest son has an engineering job line up and I'm trying to steer him toward a good girl without baggage, if there is such as thing.
Old 12-15-15, 07:58 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

You are correct sir! The girlfriends in high school did have my head spinning. I think its all about the structure in the home though. For me my parents were divorced by my freshman year of high school. At that point the intimidater was gone and a whole new set of rules were in play. It was play time. I was the baby of 5 and with the lack of firm structure I just had a ball. I was a good kid.....but cars, parties and girls were high priority. Looking back I certainly would have put a higher priority on my studies. QB of the football team not being able to date is a tough one......Im not sure thats the way to go either but with 8 kids you have 8 times more experience then I do . I dated my high school girlfriend for 3 years....that was a very good memory, Im not sure i would want to give that up.

Nope....you are right.....there is plenty of time after high school to find a nice girl.....focus on grades first.
Old 12-15-15, 12:24 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

JPV7774,

Does your nephew play Japanese video games? Or the shoot 'em up video games?

Hybrid cars usually have rich infotainment screens that show the car is working and how much gas you're consuming. A lot of gamers get a real kick out of figuring out the most efficient way to drive the car. The Prius is expensive, but the first gen one is pretty cheap and very durable, and the Honda insight is also becoming less expensive.

On the plus side, most maintenance is very easy on hybrids - their transmission fluid is as easy to change as our differential fluid. They have electric power steering so they dont have power steering to change. The coolant is the same as any car. But it can be tricky to change the brake fluid properly.

The nice thing about a hybrid is that the whole family can use it to decrease the fuel bill and the Honda/Toyotas hold together pretty well. Usually you can find a good deal on a high milaged example that has all its maintenance done.Also, the Ford Escape hybrid is amazingly durable. Taxis usually go 500k+ miles on them without anything going wrong.

Last edited by airchomper; 12-15-15 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added the ford
Old 02-19-16, 05:51 AM
Shaud843
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty old thread but wanted to put in my 2 cents... I got my 96 LS a year ago when I was 16 as my first car.... I must say it truly is comfortable and rides better than most newer cars. Even when my friends go out they all prefer to ride in my car. Don't know if you've already gotten him a car yet or not, but i will say if he gets the 400 he'll love it!! Yes MPG around the city is pretty bad but once i got a tune up and new O2 sensors they improved quite a bit.
And to help my parents out, I work so I pay for my own gas and insurance..
Old 03-11-16, 05:40 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on how he likes to drive and how responsible he is. My first choice is a Civic, a Mazda or Ford Ranger small pickup and then an Accord or older Camry. My young daughter drives a 94 Camry and her boyfriend a Mazda pickup. Both bullet proof and cheap to fix while getting good mileage. If he likes the big cruisers then an ES or Avalon and lastly an older LS. The repairs on an older LS can be beastly