LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Denso Junk Cabin Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 11:20 AM
grunner58
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Denso Junk Cabin Filter

Figured I would go with the Denso OEM cabin filter for my 2004 LS430 which I purchased from rockauto.com. Well, that was a mistake! Here's the the Old filter vs the new Denso (Denso on the Right):

Doesn't take much to see which one is superior quality. The old Chinese made filter weighed at least twice as much and certainly contains double the filter media of the USA made Denso filter.
Bought two of them on top of it!
Old 12-26-15, 11:57 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I made the same observation and one poster said not to worry about it. Well I think its bullcr@p.
Old 12-26-15, 12:05 PM
lexman52
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How does anyone know how much dirt and dust any of these filters catch. Any one out there super scientist.

Some of these threads are so ridiculous.
Old 12-26-15, 12:13 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

I would think more pleats = more surface area = better filtration.
Old 12-26-15, 12:31 PM
lexman52
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suppose if u don't change your filter for a few of years it might be.. I change mine every year.
Old 12-26-15, 12:46 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I make my own...
Old 12-26-15, 07:07 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't trust consumer grade American products. But I don't understand why you say it's junk? Does it not filter, or something? Did you throw it in the trash rather than install it?

Normally you can get a pretty good cabin air filter off Ebay for ~$10. Why not just get one of those and run it until your car tells you its time for a fresh one.
Old 12-26-15, 07:16 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Are you sure that filter is a genuine Denso? Does not look like the carbon activated filter I get from Amazon. The Denso filters I get from Amazon work great and I replace every 6 months. Your old filter is not an OEM filter. Denso makes great filters for the the engine and cabin. Number of pleats does not mean higher quality. It also weighed twice as much because it's full of dirt and grime. Your conclusions about Denso filters are off track. Many, like myself, exclusively use them with great results. I have yet to see anyone complain about their quality on this forum. They also have the highest ratings of all the filters sold.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CJ...AKL&ref=plSrch

I do run the Beck Arnley rear cabin filter in my UL because the OEM is insanely expensive.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-26-15 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-26-15, 07:53 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That picture doesn't look like the Lexus oem filter with the activated charcoal.
Old 12-26-15, 09:33 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

That picture doesn't look like the Lexus oem filter with the activated charcoal.
Old 12-27-15, 06:46 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Like others said - the new one doesn't look like the charcoal activated one from Denso but it very well could be that Rockauto is selling the cheaper version under the same old part number.
Old 12-27-15, 07:06 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I always understood Denso = OEM on many Lexus/Toyota parts. Further, when I had my 99 LS400 I remember they there were 2 OEM options for filters, a charcoal version which was a bit more expensive and a non charcoal version.
Old 12-27-15, 07:16 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Are you sure that filter is a genuine Denso? Does not look like the carbon activated filter I get from Amazon. The Denso filters I get from Amazon work great and I replace every 6 months. Your old filter is not an OEM filter. Denso makes great filters for the the engine and cabin. Number of pleats does not mean higher quality. It also weighed twice as much because it's full of dirt and grime. Your conclusions about Denso filters are off track. Many, like myself, exclusively use them with great results. I have yet to see anyone complain about their quality on this forum. They also have the highest ratings of all the filters sold.

I do run the Beck Arnley rear cabin filter in my UL because the OEM is insanely expensive.
That is the exact filter I bought from Amazon. Mine just had less pleats than the one I removed.
Old 12-27-15, 08:08 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Way too much concern over a cabin air filter. Every time you go outside you're subjecting yourself to "unfiltered" air, and every time you open your car door you're letting it in. Unless you have some major allergy problems, seems like a lot of concern over nothing.

Also, it's going to hurt performance when you have a really thick, heavy air filter in there. That might be why the OEM supplier one is lighter and thinner. I would prefer better performance than ultra fine filtration of cabin air. Most HVAC people will tell you a big mistake consumers make is putting in too fine a filter in their home ac unit. It plugs up quickly, hurts efficiency and can even ruin the unit.

I can understand being **** about something like an engine air filter, but not something like this.
Old 12-27-15, 09:57 AM
grunner58
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo

Quick Reply: Denso Junk Cabin Filter