LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

About to visit the shop - help me pre diagnose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-15, 12:32 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

There could be some seepage still from the valve covers causing the smell and smoking. Does it smell like oil burning?
How do you know the transmission is leaking? Do they also use transmission fluid in the power steering like the LS400's do?
Why not drive it up on ramps, since you do that sort of maintenance work on it, remove the undercover if they have them. And just look for leaks and problems like heat shields etc.
And since your male friends come to you. Its time to forget the shops and start a major DIY deal. Maybe pick up some $ from the male friends for fixin their cars. I think its a good thing that there are women that are interested in the car stuff. Back in my day there where pretty much zero into cars.
Old 12-28-15, 03:10 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

If you have already treated the motor then no need to don't again. 1/2 more of a quart won't make a big difference.

I am a fan of the drain and refill method but these Aisin transmissions are very robust. I do not see people reporting problems after having flushes done. Take that for what you will.
Old 12-28-15, 07:07 AM
grunner58
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heathervb
I can only afford so much at a time you know? Trying to assure the engine and tranny are in shape before I start with the suspension. My next major income will be from tax returns in 2-3 months and with that money I'll do the lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and either replace the whole lower control arms or at least the bushings for it, then take it in for an alignment. I'm hoping upper ball joints are still good, as I like to only buy OEM parts and each upper control arm is like $450
Depending on the condition of the bushings; but if one of them seriously split you could lose control of that car as the lower control arm would shift along with the wheel assembly. In that scenario there is no real waiting I'm afraid. Just make sure they give them a close inspection to make sure you're good until the tax return comes in.
Old 12-28-15, 07:20 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I can only afford so much at a time you know? Trying to assure the engine and tranny are in shape before I start with the suspension. My next major income will be from tax returns in 2-3 months and with that money I'll do the lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and either replace the whole lower control arms or at least the bushings for it, then take it in for an alignment. I'm hoping upper ball joints are still good, as I like to only buy OEM parts and each upper control arm is like $450
A Lexus is not a car for someone who has to wait for a tax return to pay someone to make repairs.

Usually marrying someone rich takes care of that problem.
Old 12-28-15, 08:43 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
A Lexus is not a car for someone who has to wait for a tax return to pay someone to make repairs.

haha. Marital advice in combination with car fixes.

But I do agree with you - waiting on tax returns for repairs does not bode well. I did that many many years ago but I also drove a cheap Ford Probe and a Jeep Cherokee at that time. If one failed, the other was available. And since I was buying parts only and did my own labor - it worked out ok.
Old 12-28-15, 10:12 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
haha. Marital advice in combination with car fixes.

But I do agree with you - waiting on tax returns for repairs does not bode well. I did that many many years ago but I also drove a cheap Ford Probe and a Jeep Cherokee at that time. If one failed, the other was available. And since I was buying parts only and did my own labor - it worked out ok.
I remember driving a cheap Ford EXP (no kidding) when I was in college. This was the day when going to a junk yard was cheaper than going to an auto parts store.

When I got married in 1988 I bought a 1986 Crown Vic with a cop engine. After Men in Black came out I wish I still had it.
Old 12-28-15, 04:25 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru

Okay old man, thank you for inputting your wisdom but I did not ask for it, nor do I care.

Sure I don't have a lot of money, but the LS430 is my dream car and everyone is entitled to pursue their dreams as they see fit. There isn't anything I would rather spend my money on than this damn car because it makes me happy. So you can leave my thread now and get back to what cranky old people do - naps or whatever. And I'll get back to what the new generation of empowered young women do which is working on their own damn cars and getting an education and taking care of themselves so they don't need to rely on any damn man
Old 12-28-15, 04:42 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Okay old man, thank you for inputting your wisdom but I did not ask for it, nor do I care.

Sure I don't have a lot of money, but the LS430 is my dream car and everyone is entitled to pursue their dreams as they see fit. There isn't anything I would rather spend my money on than this damn car because it makes me happy. So you can leave my thread now and get back to what cranky old people do - naps or whatever. And I'll get back to what the new generation of empowered young women do which is working on their own damn cars and getting an education and taking care of themselves so they don't need to rely on any damn man
Old man? I guess I need to give up full court basketball.

Honey, just don't burn your bra in your quest for independence.
Old 12-29-15, 12:59 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

LOL

Back on topic... I believe unburnt fuel is making it into your cats where it is burning off resulting the extra heat and the destruction of your cats (RIP).

This I learned back on my 94 LS400 when I miswired the ignition wires and ended up driving the car around for a little with either a misfire or a mistiming or something. Either way, the result was that my cats were glowing red some times if the car was recently under load.
Didn't really feel weird driving it or anything so the car "feeling normal" wasn't a tell at all.

I'd check the ignition coils and spark plugs. If one of them smells like fuel that's your guy.
Old 12-29-15, 02:46 AM
Dockof-bay
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=heathervb;9302239]Okay old man, thank you for inputting your wisdom but I did not ask for it, nor do I care.

LOL....

Hi,

I would check yelp for a highly rated AAMCO in your neighborhood. You should ask them how much for a trans service. They will do everything you want in a service, and will diagnose for free. There is another possibility with the smell. Your tranny fluid is blowing back onto your exhaust. Good luck.
Old 12-29-15, 04:50 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Folks let's knock off the rude personal commentary, not only the ageism and misogyny but also the financial barbs.
Old 12-29-15, 06:36 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Folks let's knock off the rude personal commentary, not only the ageism and misogyny but also the financial barbs.
I've learned a new word!
Old 12-29-15, 06:54 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Dockof-bay;9302716]

LOL....

Hi,

I would check yelp for a highly rated AAMCO in your neighborhood. You should ask them how much for a trans service. They will do everything you want in a service, and will diagnose for free. There is another possibility with the smell. Your tranny fluid is blowing back onto your exhaust. Good luck.
Just personal experience but I know people that work at AAMCO locations and I would NEVER trust my car to AAMCO. The people I know that work there are very good at what they do. The problem lies with the management. They are rushed to get cars out as quick as they can and if the know nothing new hires can attempt to fix something, that's what they try to push because they pay them less. If they screw something up, the one or two guys that work there and know what they are doing have to step in to fix it. They are parts swappers and upsellers. They don't diagnose anything. Unless you go in there with a transmission problem. Then they try to talk you into tearing the trans apart to see what the problem is. Once doing so, they give you a load of crap to sell you a rebuild. Your car is in pieces by then so.......

You sound like you work on your own car as much as you can which is great. I do all my own service as well. I feel sorry for people that must rely on taking their cars in for service and are at the mechanics mercy. I know too many people in the industry to trust what anyone to tell me what my car needs. My brother in law in a certified mechanic and I cannot believe the stories he tells me. I stopped in to see him at work several times and witnessed first hand what the "counter guy" tells people. I don't know how they can sleep at night. One time I waited till the customer left to go to their car and while the "manager/counter upseller was busy with his next victim I approached the lady with kids in tow and told her to please go somewhere else for a second opinion because what he just told you is a flat out lie. She thanked me and said she would definitely do that. I'm sure there are many more good than bad places but the odds of getting a bad one are still very high.

Ok, I'm done ranting about auto service centers. Getting back on track, again, it's my opinion but anything called "Mystery Oil" is not something I want to put in my car. I'm sure its very good stuff but It sounds like your car is running fine. My car has over 220,000 miles and the cats are working fine. I'd never spend the money of new cats unless it was throwing codes and adversely affecting performance which from what you're saying yours is not. Do you get the smell under hard acceleration even with all windows closed?
Old 12-29-15, 07:30 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is another wild thought......regarding your console being hot one time I went on a road trip and my air conditioned seat function overheated. Im still not sure why but I used to leave it on all the time....on this road trip the console...bottom of seat and surrounding areas got hot. I turned off the seat cooling function and everything went back to normal. Make sure yours is off
Old 12-29-15, 09:13 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked the trans fluid level a couple weeks ago and it wasn't low despite the leaking, but the color was very dark. I don't know the full history of the car and the last time it was replaced so I will definitely have that done.
Heather,

You may want to sign up at Lexus with your VIN and see if there is a main dealer maintenance history for your car.

Also, sign up with your VIN at mycarfax.com (free) where independent shop work may also be recorded.

Quick Reply: About to visit the shop - help me pre diagnose?