LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How to connect audio steering wheel controls with aftermarket radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-22, 12:36 PM
mitchjl22
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I figured out the steering wheel controls.

I used an ASWC-1

Pink from ASWC to Green on Pin 3 of the 6 pin harness
Blue/Pink from ASWC to Pin 6 of the 6 pin harness
(Pin 3 and Pin 6 are the two that oppose the blank pins on the connector. They are on the opposite end of the blanks)

ADD a 68ohm resistor across the Pink and Blue/Pink (You need to solder these connections)

Yellow/Green from ASWC connects to 12v+ (I tied it into the red ignition wire on the ASWC)

Power it up, and it auto programs.
The reason this works is because the wires that connected from the Gateway ECU to the radio are CAN BUS. The ASWC supports the CAN protocol on Lexus vehicles from 2002-2009 with the same protocols.

Viola, steering wheel controls on the LS430

BIG THANKS to Jay at Metra for the info needed to get this working.

-Mitch
The following 7 users liked this post by mitchjl22:
ARCHIVES (05-28-22), danforth (07-15-22), Mrdavila0 (11-22-23), Oldsports (03-06-22), Peacebay (03-05-22), tqt1586 (06-01-22), WILLYumD (06-03-22) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-06-22, 09:18 AM
Oldsports
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Mitch,

Thanks for sharing this. While it doesn't help me now (I sold my LS430 about two years ago), I hope this helps others.
Old 03-06-22, 09:30 AM
mitchjl22
Rookie

Yeah, I assumed as much (Bumping an old thread like this). When you Google "LS430 steering wheel controls" this thread is one of the top results. Hope it helps others.
Old 06-01-22, 02:54 PM
tqt1586
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks in advance

Originally Posted by mitchjl22
I figured out the steering wheel controls.

I used an ASWC-1

Pink from ASWC to Green on Pin 3 of the 6 pin harness
Blue/Pink from ASWC to Pin 6 of the 6 pin harness
(Pin 3 and Pin 6 are the two that oppose the blank pins on the connector. They are on the opposite end of the blanks)

ADD a 68ohm resistor across the Pink and Blue/Pink (You need to solder these connections)

Yellow/Green from ASWC connects to 12v+ (I tied it into the red ignition wire on the ASWC)

Power it up, and it auto programs.
The reason this works is because the wires that connected from the Gateway ECU to the radio are CAN BUS. The ASWC supports the CAN protocol on Lexus vehicles from 2002-2009 with the same protocols.

Viola, steering wheel controls on the LS430

BIG THANKS to Jay at Metra for the info needed to get this working.

-Mitch
Mitch, I've been looking all over for the answer and you're the man that comes closest. Can you please tell me what 6pin hardness you are talking about? What does it look like and where do I find it attached to the car? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-02-22, 05:52 PM
mitchjl22
Rookie

Hey there,

There are 2 harnesses that plug into the radio. One is a 20 pin "Main" harness that has all the power, ground, sound, illumination, etc. The second one is a little 6 pin guy that only carries CAN-BUS (or MPX).

There are 2 sets of green/red wires in the 6 pin harness. One pair goes to the multi display (Touchscreen), and the other pair goes to the gateway module.

The way the LS430 is wired is as follows:
The steering wheel controls are wired together with the display selection buttons on the right side of the steering wheel. The two connect to the clockspring, which goes down the steering column to the Gateway module (Small computer on the left end of the dash). The gateway module can tell which button is being pressed on the steering wheel, and then sends the command to the proper destination which in this case is either the display to the left of the temp readout dead center on the cluster, or to the radio.

Once they get sent to the radio, the it will function as desired, You press volume up, the radio volume increases, you change the mode, and the mode changes. You need an aftermarket module like the Axxcess ASWC-1 to decode these signals that come from the gateway module, and send them to the aftermarket radio.

To answer your question, the harness that you're looking for is the small 6 pin one that plugs into the factory radio. This may be slightly different if you don't have NAV, but there will be an "Auxiliary" harness that plugs into the radio with these wires.

Does your LS have NAV? If not, I can look up which wires you'll need to use to make it all work.

I looked up a picture of the MVA-23L Beatsonic harness that I used when I originally installed my radio. You'll see in the pic that there are 2 plugs, the 6 pin is the smaller one.

The following users liked this post:
danforth (07-15-22)
Old 06-03-22, 06:49 AM
tqt1586
2nd gear

Hey there,

There are 2 harnesses that plug into the radio. One is a 20 pin "Main" harness that has all the power, ground, sound, illumination, etc. The second one is a little 6 pin guy that only carries CAN-BUS (or MPX).

There are 2 sets of green/red wires in the 6 pin harness. One pair goes to the multi display (Touchscreen), and the other pair goes to the gateway module.

The way the LS430 is wired is as follows:
The steering wheel controls are wired together with the display selection buttons on the right side of the steering wheel. The two connect to the clockspring, which goes down the steering column to the Gateway module (Small computer on the left end of the dash). The gateway module can tell which button is being pressed on the steering wheel, and then sends the command to the proper destination which in this case is either the display to the left of the temp readout dead center on the cluster, or to the radio.

Once they get sent to the radio, the it will function as desired, You press volume up, the radio volume increases, you change the mode, and the mode changes. You need an aftermarket module like the Axxcess ASWC-1 to decode these signals that come from the gateway module, and send them to the aftermarket radio.

To answer your question, the harness that you're looking for is the small 6 pin one that plugs into the factory radio. This may be slightly different if you don't have NAV, but there will be an "Auxiliary" harness that plugs into the radio with these wires.

Does your LS have NAV? If not, I can look up which wires you'll need to use to make it all work.

I looked up a picture of the MVA-23L Beatsonic harness that I used when I originally installed my radio. You'll see in the pic that there are 2 plugs, the 6 pin is the smaller one.
My LS does NOT have nav unit, thanks in advance!
I'm also not using a mva-23L beatsonic, I used the
Metra TYTO-01 JBL Amplifier Interface Harness  Metra TYTO-01 JBL Amplifier Interface Harness
to hook up to my radio and so far it works good and do have
Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface  Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface
ready to go
Old 06-03-22, 07:53 AM
teaa
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tqt1586
My LS does NOT have nav unit, thanks in advance!
I'm also not using a mva-23L beatsonic, I used the Metra TYTO-01 JBL Amplifier Interface Harness to hook up to my radio and so far it works good and do have Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface ready to go
I also am using the TYTO interface and am looking for steering wheel control access. The metra ASWC-1 is plug and play?
Old 06-03-22, 08:32 PM
mitchjl22
Rookie

No its not. You have to solder it in.

You may be able to use the TOY-LEX plug in harness (from Axxcess), but I don't think the connector on the harness will work. It may work if you DO NOT have nav.
Old 07-14-22, 11:15 PM
austinasto
4th Gear

Mitch. What’s the 68ohm resistor for?
Old 07-14-22, 11:41 PM
mitchjl22
Rookie

As best I understand, the ASWC is a universal steering wheel control module. It works on all kinds of makes and models of vehicles from Audi, VW, BMW, Mercedes, etc. The 68ohm resistor is what allows the can-bus on the certain Toyota/Lexus vehicles to be decoded by the ASWC. Its required for the setup to work. I tried installing the ASWC without the resistor before I learned about it and contacted AXXCESS. It did not work, and the vehicle was not automatically identified like it supposed to be with the resistor installed.
Old 07-15-22, 04:13 AM
austinasto
4th Gear

Do I solder one resistor to both wires or am I using two resistors, one for each wire.?
Old 07-15-22, 05:50 PM
mitchjl22
Rookie

You'll use 1 resistor connecting one wire to the other. It will look like an H. I used a stripper that allowed me to make a military splice in the 2 wires like in the photos below.

You stick the resistor ends through the holes and wrap it a couple times, trim off the excess, and solder it. Make sure to tape it all up well so there is no bare metal from the resistor, or the wire.
Old 07-15-22, 06:23 PM
austinasto
4th Gear

You'll use 1 resistor connecting one wire to the other. It will look like an H. I used a stripper that allowed me to make a military splice in the 2 wires like in the photos below.

You stick the resistor ends through the holes and wrap it a couple times, trim off the excess, and solder it. Make sure to tape it all up well so there is no bare metal from the resistor, or the wire.
so I just completed everything except solder the wires because I wanted to make sure it works first. Unfortunately, it’s not working for my car. I have a 2001 with premium audio without navigation. Will there be a difference?
Old 07-15-22, 06:42 PM
mitchjl22
Rookie

The system is EXTREMELY sensitive to resistance changes. Unfortunately, even a small amount of extra resistance by not soldering the wires could make it not function. This was stressed to me by Jay at Metra. I would solder the wires, and make sure you do a reset on the module afterward.
Old 07-15-22, 08:28 PM
austinasto
4th Gear

Ok I soldered the wires and the results are the same. Just to verify…

aswc pink wire goes to pin 3 green wire.
aswc blue with pink stripe goes to pin 6 red wire.
Aswc yellow wire with green stripe goes to 12v ignition power
Aswc red wire goes to 12v power
aswc black wire goes to ground

added a 68ohm resistor in between the pink and the blue with pink stripe.
The resistor I used is 1/2 watt rated resistor.

Quick Reply: How to connect audio steering wheel controls with aftermarket radio