LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How to connect audio steering wheel controls with aftermarket radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-22, 08:42 PM
mitchjl22
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

That all sounds correct. I connected red to ign. as well as the yellow/green.

I'm not sure what the connector looks like on the non-nav premium radio. Would you be able to post a picture?
My pins were the ones on the outside of the connector. Pins 1 + 4 are blank, and I counted the pins like this the ones in parenthesis are the ones I used on the outside of the connector.

1 2 (3)
4 5 (6)
Old 07-15-22, 08:49 PM
mitchjl22
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by austinasto
Ok I soldered the wires and the results are the same. Just to verify…

aswc pink wire goes to pin 3 green wire.
aswc blue with pink stripe goes to pin 6 red wire.
Aswc yellow wire with green stripe goes to 12v ignition power
Aswc red wire goes to 12v power
aswc black wire goes to ground

added a 68ohm resistor in between the pink and the blue with pink stripe.
The resistor I used is 1/2 watt rated resistor.
I sent you a PM

Old 09-01-23, 11:08 PM
Dandan573
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchjl22
That all sounds correct. I connected red to ign. as well as the yellow/green.

I'm not sure what the connector looks like on the non-nav premium radio. Would you be able to post a picture?
My pins were the ones on the outside of the connector. Pins 1 + 4 are blank, and I counted the pins like this the ones in parenthesis are the ones I used on the outside of the connector.

1 2 (3)
4 5 (6)

Did u manage to sus it out im trying to do the same as well just waiting on afew parts to show up the above listed parts an im going to give a go

Old 09-03-23, 05:02 PM
slightreturn
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I too have a Base/Premium model with no navi unit. I have found that far and away the best setup is simply to install a Grom bluetooth box behind the radio. That way, you retain your steering wheel controls and have the considerable benefit of being able to use your phone for navigation. I have one of those magnetic wireless charging bases for my iPhone and Apple Maps works vastly better than any aftermarket GPS system. Plus, you don't mess with the elegant stock look of the car. It's very simple and bulletproof installation ... the only slight hassle is running the mic cable, but it's not that bad. Definitely would not want to put an aftermarket radio in lieu of that nice Japanese woodwork!

Originally Posted by Oldsports
I received an aftermarket radio/GPS unit as a present which I plan to install in my 2001 Lexus LS430 w/o navigation. I would like to connect it with my audio steering wheel controls - the new unit says it can decode the signals and has inputs for what it calls KEY1 and KEY2 which I assume should come from the steering wheel controls. However, looking at the Lexus wiring diagram I cannot find these signals; instead I find signals GTX+ and GTX- that connect the Gateway ECU to the factory radio.

In an older post someone said that the steering controls could be used for other purposes (i.e. telephone control) so the control wires probably connect into an ECU which can be programmed to provide the correct signals based on how the controls are being used. This seems to make sense based on how I read the wiring diagram.

Given all of this, I have a couple of questions:
1. Do the steering wheel controls connect to the Gateway ECU as suggested above?
2. If #1 is true, do the ECU signals GTX+ and GTX- match up with KEY1 and KEY2 of the new unit?
3. If #2 is not true, do I need to retrieve the native steering wheel controls (KEY1, KEY2) by splicing them from where they enter the ECU?
4. If #3 is true, is there another way to get to the native steering wheel controls other than splicing them at the ECU? Does someone make an adapter that takes the output of the ECU and converts it to the KEY1 and KEY2?
5. Finally, if #1 is not true (the steering wheel controls DO NOT connect to the Gateway ECU), can you tell me where they are? I cannot find them anywhere on the wiring diagram that I have.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 09-04-23, 11:25 PM
Dandan573
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mitchjl22
I figured out the steering wheel controls.

I used an ASWC-1

Pink from ASWC to Green on Pin 3 of the 6 pin harness
Blue/Pink from ASWC to Pin 6 of the 6 pin harness
(Pin 3 and Pin 6 are the two that oppose the blank pins on the connector. They are on the opposite end of the blanks)

ADD a 68ohm resistor across the Pink and Blue/Pink (You need to solder these connections)

Yellow/Green from ASWC connects to 12v+ (I tied it into the red ignition wire on the ASWC)

Power it up, and it auto programs.
The reason this works is because the wires that connected from the Gateway ECU to the radio are CAN BUS. The ASWC supports the CAN protocol on Lexus vehicles from 2002-2009 with the same protocols.

Viola, steering wheel controls on the LS430

BIG THANKS to Jay at Metra for the info needed to get this working.

-Mitch
Does not work just tired the ascw-1 and toy-lex... nonoe work even with the 68 ohm ristor im stumpd an pissd off $300 an still no controls
Old 09-07-23, 06:58 AM
slightreturn
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldsports
I received an aftermarket radio/GPS unit as a present which I plan to install in my 2001 Lexus LS430 w/o navigation. I would like to connect it with my audio steering wheel controls - the new unit says it can decode the signals and has inputs for what it calls KEY1 and KEY2 which I assume should come from the steering wheel controls. However, looking at the Lexus wiring diagram I cannot find these signals; instead I find signals GTX+ and GTX- that connect the Gateway ECU to the factory radio.

In an older post someone said that the steering controls could be used for other purposes (i.e. telephone control) so the control wires probably connect into an ECU which can be programmed to provide the correct signals based on how the controls are being used. This seems to make sense based on how I read the wiring diagram.

Given all of this, I have a couple of questions:
1. Do the steering wheel controls connect to the Gateway ECU as suggested above?
2. If #1 is true, do the ECU signals GTX+ and GTX- match up with KEY1 and KEY2 of the new unit?
3. If #2 is not true, do I need to retrieve the native steering wheel controls (KEY1, KEY2) by splicing them from where they enter the ECU?
4. If #3 is true, is there another way to get to the native steering wheel controls other than splicing them at the ECU? Does someone make an adapter that takes the output of the ECU and converts it to the KEY1 and KEY2?
5. Finally, if #1 is not true (the steering wheel controls DO NOT connect to the Gateway ECU), can you tell me where they are? I cannot find them anywhere on the wiring diagram that I have.

Thanks in advance for your help!

These steering wheel controls will not work with an aftermarket radio, even with an iDatalink Maestro or the like, without extensive and complicated reworking.

Far far far easier and better would be just installing a Grom (or equivalent) Bluetooth adapter behind the radio. They do work with steering wheel controls. You can answer the phone from the left Up button, and end a call from the Down one. You can change tracks on your iPhone similarly. You can adjust the volume using the normal buttons behind the wheel. The only think you can't do is issue a verbal command because there's no button for that ... but if you can bring yourself to say "Hey Siri ..." before giving a verbal command, you won't need one.

The Grom box/smartphone combo is an infintely more elegant solution than a wholly unnecessary and ugly aftermarket radio.
Old 09-07-23, 12:51 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 177 Likes on 156 Posts

I put in an aftermarket 9 inch system in place of my nav unit and the steering wheel controls do work without having to hook up the key 1 and 2. It looks like a factory installed unit and very happy with having upgraded the electronics. The whole system may be different for the non nav models. The canbus software controls all the functions.
Old 09-07-23, 09:32 PM
ubuynow
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
I put in an aftermarket 9 inch system in place of my nav unit and the steering wheel controls do work without having to hook up the key 1 and 2. It looks like a factory installed unit and very happy with having upgraded the electronics. The whole system may be different for the non nav models. The canbus software controls all the functions.
can you give us a link to the unit you bought? AC controls work?
Old 09-08-23, 04:55 AM
Dandan573
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by tqt1586
My LS does NOT have nav unit, thanks in advance!
I'm also not using a mva-23L beatsonic, I used the Metra TYTO-01 JBL Amplifier Interface Harness to hook up to my radio and so far it works good and do have Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface ready to go

How did you get your controls working im going nuts
Old 09-08-23, 06:06 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 177 Likes on 156 Posts

On aliexpress just put in LS430 android and I bought mine from GcPaSr Franchised Store. Exact model I purchased has changed and AC controls do work.