LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What should I buy? 01-03 or 04-06 LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 08:49 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What should I buy? 01-03 or 04-06 LS430?

Quick question for the LS430 gurus, I am in the market for an LS430 and have owned basically every prior Lexus model. I have come to the conclusion that the LS430 is the best bang for the buck and the ride cant be beat.

Now is it worth it for me to buy an 04-06 LS430 for around $11k in my area or an 01-03 for around $5500. The older models are about half price. I like the updated styling of the newer one, but is it truly worth the added price?

Some thoughts and information would be appreciated. I am looking to buy something in the next few weeks.
Old 02-06-16, 09:11 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

04-06

The front and rear upgrades truly makes a difference
Old 02-06-16, 10:31 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
04-06

The front and rear upgrades truly makes a difference
I thought so as well. Makes it look more modern. It will probably retain value better than the older ones as well.
Old 02-06-16, 10:32 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All things (mileage, condition, maintenance etc.) being equal, you're prolly better off with the newer version. On the other hand, saving nearly 6K for the early version is very tempting. I presently own both models and if you blindfolded me, except for subtle nuances, I couldn't tell the difference between one or the other. Both are tremendously competent, smooth and powerful vehicles that require only basic maintenance with little or no fuss.
There are many, many threads on this subject so do some searching but overall many experts, master techs and owners will tell you that these are the best LS's ever produced.
Old 02-06-16, 11:09 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LSGarry
All things (mileage, condition, maintenance etc.) being equal, you're prolly better off with the newer version. On the other hand, saving nearly 6K for the early version is very tempting. I presently own both models and if you blindfolded me, except for subtle nuances, I couldn't tell the difference between one or the other. Both are tremendously competent, smooth and powerful vehicles that require only basic maintenance with little or no fuss.
There are many, many threads on this subject so do some searching but overall many experts, master techs and owners will tell you that these are the best LS's ever produced.
Thanks for your input. It is nice to get the perspective from someone who owns both vehicles. I also read that the newer models with the 6 speed transmission are a bit faster than the older ones. With all things considered, if you are not able to tell the difference between the two, it must not be too noticeable. I think it basically boils down to the updated exterior components, which basically has me sold. Although, I do like to save when making a purchase, the newer one is not a huge price difference when you compare the price that it cost new.
Old 02-06-16, 11:18 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Plus for 01-03.....
Had transmission dipstick
Half the price.

Plus for 04-06 look better but really, I do not see huge difference. Gets 6 speed transmission.

I still went for 04 when I was looking only bcos there wasn;t a huge diff in price at the time.

For the prices u posted I would go with 01-03
Old 02-06-16, 11:32 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts

those pennsvlvannia prices are great. more expensive here. the 6 speed might be quicker, but not faster as the top 2 gears are the same I believe. LED tail lights and lifetime transmission are major difference. you will never see your taillights so...I would get the '03
Old 02-06-16, 12:02 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Transmission isn't life time it's a myth

Yes I don't see my tail lights
But 04-06 always makes me look twice as the front end is lot more masculine than the 01

I am on my third LS

Similarly when I upgrade I want a 14+ f sport as the 07-08 look like girly Camry to me

Just my 0.02
Old 02-06-16, 12:16 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 6 speed and back up camera (if you have nav) is easily enough to sway towards the later LS. Also, double the price here is relative.... 6,000 or 12,000 isn't 50,000 or 100,000.
Old 02-06-16, 12:59 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Also if you can get the smart acces key option

Love it on mine

Incredibly helpful if you have children as the rear handles can lock and unlock (my other Lexus has on front door handle only )
Old 02-06-16, 01:37 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Thanks for the input guys. I drove a 6 speed car and a 5 speed car and the 6 speed car felt quicker low end 0-60. Probably about the same from a roll.

I agree though, that front end on the 04-06 cars is very aggressive. That alone will probably sway me in that direction.
Old 02-06-16, 02:43 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Congrats

You are making the right choice
Old 02-06-16, 03:42 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

04-06 has knee air bags.wont make a difference unless you hit something.
Old 02-06-16, 04:13 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

An 05 or 06 UL would be my choice.

The sedan's V8 provided 278 horsepower and 312 pound-feet of torque. Initially, power flowed to the rear wheels through a five-speed automatic transmission with manual shift control. (In 2004, Lexus upgraded the transmission to a six-speed.) A full complement of airbags came standard, as did antilock brakes with brake assist, traction control, the VSC stability control system and tire-pressure monitoring.

Naturally, plenty of luxury features came standard as well, including dual-zone climate control (with air registers that swept back and forth), a 14-way power driver seat with memory positioning, cruise control, a power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, auto-dimming mirrors, an in-dash CD changer and a power trunk closer. Many used LS 430s will also have the optional upgraded leather upholstery, heated and cooled front seats, moonroof, voice-activated navigation system and 240-watt Mark Levinson premium audio system.

Additional options included rear-window and rear-door sunshades, parking assist, rear seat heaters and power door closers. The Lexus LS 430 was also available with adaptive cruise control, a smoother-riding air suspension, power-adjustable rear seats and a separate rear air-conditioning system.

The cabin of the Lexus flagship was warm and inviting given its high-quality leather, abundance of rich walnut or maple trim, sharp electroluminescent gauges and wonderfully comfortable seats. It offered plenty of headroom and legroom for both front and rear passengers, and the large trunk held 20-plus cubic feet of luggage.

Serene in nearly all situations, the Lexus LS 430 excelled in both urban commuting and long-distance road trips. The suspension easily soaked up road irregularities, especially when equipped with the optional air suspension. Although they excelled in nearly all other areas, previous LS models weren't known for inspired driving dynamics -- and though capable in the curves, the LS 430 also did little to engage more passionate drivers. Therefore, if you expect some excitement from your luxury sedan, we think one of its European rivals will suit you better.

In terms of selecting a particular vintage of LS 430, there are only minor changes to be aware of. Nothing really happened until 2004 when the LS received a major midcycle update that consisted of mild exterior revisions, the aforementioned six-speed automatic transmission, adaptive headlights, knee airbags for front occupants and a standard moonroof. New options included the Pre-Collision system, SmartAccess keyless start, a Sport package with 18-inch wheels and an enhanced navigation system with a rear back-up camera, expanded voice recognition functionality and Bluetooth phone capability. The upgraded Mark Levinson stereo, also part of that refresh year, provided optimized sound for different seating positions, and satellite radio was also offered.
Old 02-06-16, 11:09 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 04-06 LS430 looks cooler.

But the 01-03 is very discreet looking and some people say the 01-03s have better headlights / illumination for driving at night.

The 01-03's are nearly at the bottom of their depreciation curve. And the 04-06s have dropped a fair amount since I was looking in Nov 2013 but they're starting to get some serious downward pressure on price. The LS460s are going to freefall bad when the next gen LS comes out (probably within the next 12-18 months) and that's going to hurt the 04-06s more than the 01-03s.

As it is, the 01-03s aren't much more than comparable Camrys. A 2002 Camry in nice condition goes for ~5-6k where I live. A 2002 LS430 is probably goes for ~7.5k?

And 04 can easily go into 12k. And a clean 06 can get into 14-16k range (or higher if you start talking about the 06 LS430s with 20k miles on them. I could have sworn someone talked about an 06 for sale recently with a 22k asking price which is ludacris. You can get LS460s with ~100k miles for that sort of money)

Something is worth what ever you're willing to pay. The 04-06's are better cars.

I chose the 01 because it was a good deal. And I'm really glad I got my 01 because I can use some of the money I saved to fix the things that bother me - the struts were worn out and the car felt underdamped and I was replace them, fix my mark levinson amp, install new speakers, get a vaistech bluetooth adapter, get a timing belt job, and buy a lot of gas with the money I would have had to pay to get an '04 LS430.

You're either here because you like a deal or you like the VIP aesthetic. If you want a good deal - it's obvious the 01-03s are what you're looking for. If you like the VIP aesthetic, the 04-06s are fantastic.

Either way, you're not going to be disappointed and if you think you get a good deal, you wont have any buyers remorse.

Last edited by airchomper; 02-06-16 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added shiz

Quick Reply: What should I buy? 01-03 or 04-06 LS430?