LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rattling noise in passenger front door

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 10:16 AM
DomeSL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise in passenger front door

I have a rattling noise in the passenger front door.
Whenever the engine is around 1500 RPM and the motor is just at the right harmonic I hear a very loud rattling.
I have taken the door apart and get the computer and speaker out.
The noise however is still there with no cover, no door computer and no speaker.
My colleague tried to get the source of the noise while I kept driving just at the right RPM but no luck. He has not found the source.
It is like a piece of plastic vibrating very fast in the door "trench", but nothing is there.
Any ideas?
I would really appreciate any help as it is very annoying.

2001 LS430 UL, 203800 miles

Last edited by DomeSL; 02-10-16 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-10-16, 07:24 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

SAME EXACT ISSUE.

I took the passenger door apart maybe 5-6 times by now. I even used 3M felt tape to try and snug everything inside the door. I almost wanted to buy that plush material they use to block sound from the outside, that you can fill up the door with, but I just didn't bother as it comes and goes from time to time.

Only thing I remember not trying was to maybe zip tie all the cables and wrap them around the door in a way that there would not be any friction that may generate the sound.

Does the speaker have any component inside of it that can become loose and just float around and start making this weird noise?
Old 02-11-16, 06:23 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

maybe it's the lower body panel on the outside of the door? Make sure it's secured. Does it do it while the car is sitting with the engine revved, or only while it's in motion?
Old 02-11-16, 07:46 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Noises can be difficult to locate. Have you checked the lower splash shield engine under covers? There are two (front and rear). The wind under the car could cause vibration/sound.
Old 02-11-16, 08:38 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

there are also some plastic panels under the floor near the door sill, one of those could be loose...
Old 02-20-16, 08:53 AM
DomeSL
Rookie

That is possible indeed.
Would you please advise how can it be secured more?

Originally Posted by ancdmd
maybe it's the lower body panel on the outside of the door? Make sure it's secured. Does it do it while the car is sitting with the engine revved, or only while it's in motion?
Old 02-20-16, 05:03 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

If it doesn't look like it's partially detached from the door then it's ok.
Old 03-11-16, 05:35 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like taking a small ball of butyl caulk - dum-dum to some people and put the ball between panels or panels and the floor and squeeze it into place. Even if it doesn't stick perfectly it can change the harmonics due to weight. I keep a roll in my garage for this.
Old 01-28-18, 09:25 AM
DomeSL
Rookie

The issue still exists and driving me crazy.
Therefore I took the door appart today, speaker, computers, power window structure with motor, mirror, all plastic cover around window and the noise source still cannot be found by 2 different passangers looking for it.
Door bottom inside is empty, no unleased parts. All bolts tight.
I order a Stethoscope right away.
Old 01-28-18, 01:27 PM
markwhit
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It might not even be coming from the door. It could be something in the passenger fender wheel area or under the hood when you say you rev the engine and can hear it. Sounds like something underneath the car is loose.
Old 05-14-18, 05:26 PM
Schmeddley
Driver School Candidate

Default 2015 Lexus GS F Sport

The drivers door speaker rattles when the bass and volume are up. Non of the other speakers rattle! The speaker is not blown. Lexus of Santa Monica CA said it's normal. NO!
Old 05-14-18, 06:25 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmeddley
The drivers door speaker rattles when the bass and volume are up. Non of the other speakers rattle! The speaker is not blown. Lexus of Santa Monica CA said it's normal. NO!
Does it happen when you play a particular song or does it always happen when you crank things up? My front left will make some strange sounds at certain frequencies on one particular song. Your foam might not be ripped but have you tried pressing down on the cone to see that it is aligned properly? Perhaps someone tried to repair the speaker before and just didn't get the cone aligned properly...
Old 03-03-19, 09:59 AM
DomeSL
Rookie

After 2 years of struggling I ended up with 6 persons telling that the rattling is coming from the A pillar.
I have blown special foam to the inside of the pillar through holes, but the rattling stayed.
Then my very clever brother figured out that Madonna (full bass, full mid, no treble, fader to front, balance to right) and can do the same as reving the engine.
And from the outside it can clearly be heard with ears on right A pillar, that rattling is coming from the bottom 3rd of the pillar.
Same noise as can be heard from the inside.

What has been done so far during the 2 years:
-dashboard right side dismounted (glove box, ECU, tweeter, vent pipe)
-pillar trims removed
-cables in pillar removed
-door trims removed
-door parts removed
-pillar foamed from the inside with SIKA Baffle 278
-windshield lower retainers sawed according to TSB

And now that it is 99% sure that something is in the outer chamber of A pillar I need your help.
-How to remove windshield left moulding 75534-50030
-Can the supporting clips be removed
-Are there holes for the clips or welded
-Can outer chamber be foamed
-Please-please-please help or I burn the whole thing as I start hating it.

Originally Posted by markwhit
It might not even be coming from the door. It could be something in the passenger fender wheel area or under the hood when you say you rev the engine and can hear it. Sounds like something underneath the car is loose.

Last edited by DomeSL; 03-03-19 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-03-19, 11:01 AM
DomeSL
Rookie

Some photos of how seriously the issue was taken.

Dark, but shows foamed pillar.
Old 03-03-19, 01:47 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 283 Likes on 238 Posts

I'm not sure if this might be helpful or not but here it is................Years ago when I was considering purchasing a GS300 (2006+) I was ultimately turned off by the amount of complaints for rattles and creaking coming from the dash/windshield area.. Later on I was informed that the dash, window frame, etc rattles were remedied by a weld on the A frame. . My car....the 2001 LS430 actually had a TSB (which I was able to find after purchasing my car) for a missing weld in the rear passenger wheel well/floor area. This was causing (in cold weather) a very annoying creaking sound whenever I took off from a dead stop. Since it was coming from the rear. I was very concerned at the time thinking it was some kind of frame damage from a previous accident. Some very sharp Indy was able to find a TSB for this issue. He didn't want to touch it as it required using an impact tool to pinch the rear floor area in two places. I took it to Lexus and a tech remembered this TSB when the 2001 LS430 was new. I also printed out the TSB with instructions and a diagram for repair. I left the car at Lexus and the creaking was gone! I was relieved as I was about to sell the car due to the embarrassing creak. Again, I'm not sure if your rattle is a weld issue or not, at or around the A pillar, but a body shop might have a better idea. I'd consider doing a general search with your symptoms to see if you find anything. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 03-03-19 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Rattling noise in passenger front door