LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

two subs wired in series

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-16, 03:00 PM
740ilsamue
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool two subs wired in series

Like many, I too have had to deal with my sub's rattling, and tried for a fix without spending to much. Glue didn't last long, so I bought a 8 ohm sub that was recommended, but still I feel the sound good be fuller. Also, I still worry that the amp may fail, so I've ordered the Kicker 10c-8 with 8 ohms. They sent the 10c8, but they sent the 4 ohm version, so I'm waiting for their response as to how they will correct this mistake. While waiting, I researched ohms and with some understanding wonder if the 12 ohms our amp requires can be achieved by using two subs wired in series? The 8 ohm sub I have, has a smaller magnet and isn't as impressive as the Kicker 10c8-4 ohm, so I was thinking 'what if I wired both the Kicker 4 ohm and my 8 ohm sub in series?' I'd install the Kicker 10c8-4 ohm in the sub housing, then extend the 8 ohm sub into a box housing that will sit on the floor of the trunk area. I'd achieve the 12 ohm that many have claimed is required for our ls 430 ml amp. I'm not that knowledgeable about systems, so has anyone tried this?
Old 02-21-16, 10:01 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Yes that should work although I'd try to use two speakers with same ohm rating. This would be similar to buying a speaker with 2 4 ohm rated voice coils and connecting them in series to get cumulative 8 ohm rating.
Old 02-21-16, 11:09 PM
740ilsamue
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jabber, I've read many of your posts, and glad that you replied. The reason for using the Kicker 10c8-4 ohm and my other post mentioned 8 ohm sub is that I already have them. Also, I remember reading that our ml amp requires ohms just above 12 ohms, and if wired in series, I should achieve that. The Kicker sub, compared to the oem ml sub and the posted 8 ohm I bought a few months ago, is very impressive by weight and housing. I bought my ls 430 used, and not knowing the issues of the ml amp and sub, I allowed them to install just a sub. Like some have mentioned, when I cranked up the volume, it cut off. Luckily, I didn't blow my unit, and had suffered with sound of a glued ml sub. Yes, the oem sub is probably best, but as with most, time and improvements are being made all the time. And that's why I'm hoping the impression of the Kicker sub could work. Also, I hate being told that there's only one choice. Hope to hear more from others and you soon.
Old 02-22-16, 09:04 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Others have wired an 8 ohm rated dual voice coil in series to achieve a safe speaker impedance rating (16 ohm). A lower-rated ohm (impedance) speaker will draw more power from the amp and risk damage. A speaker with a higher rated ohm than required will simply draw a little less power, but won't risk amplifier damage. Example: If you use a 8 ohm dual voice coil wired in series (= 16 ohm) and the ML calls for 12 or 14 ohm, you're fine. But if you drop the speaker ohm below the rated impedance, you start to risk amp failure.

Having said that, others have used the Polk 8" inch DVC speaker which fits as a direct replacement for the ML speaker.

Amazon.com: Polk Audio db840DVC 8-Inch Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Polk Audio db840DVC 8-Inch Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer: Car Electronics