LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Considering upgrading from 99 LS to 06 LS430UL. Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-16, 02:32 PM
bradland

Received 687 Likes on 563 Posts
Default Considering upgrading from 99 LS to 06 LS430UL. Good deal?

I've been driving an LS for almost 2 decades now currently with a 99 all Black LS. I found a 06 LS430 UL nearby with 126XXX miles in EXCELLENT condition. Seller is asking $13,500 obo, Kelly BB shows it at $14,400 with the UL pkg. Seller somehow seems to think the car is worth $16K...? I don't necessarily want or need the UL pkg, as it may be more trouble than it's worth in the long run considering the age of the car. I feel the asking price is fair but I see them selling for far less than this without the UL pkg.

What all does the UL pkg include?
Are all those bells and whistles just trouble lurking at that age?

Thank you!
Old 03-03-16, 06:10 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Check this out in the sticky https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3213359-post8.html
Old 03-03-16, 06:28 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I went from a 99 to an 04 UL. Love, love, love all the extras. So does everyone who rides in it.
Old 03-04-16, 07:18 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Seems like a fair price.
Old 03-04-16, 08:52 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Went from 91 LS to 95 LS to 05 LS

Best LS made
You will love it

In a few years I plan to get a 2013+ 600hL
Old 03-04-16, 01:12 PM
bradland

Received 687 Likes on 563 Posts

Thanks guys!

I understand the UL pkg was a $12k plus option when new. I'm just not sure how much I need all those extras in the BACK seat. I don't have kids so my back seats rarely get used and the auto leveling height control system kinda scares me...
Old 03-04-16, 03:15 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

Have not owned an LS400... Our first LS was the '01 430 which we still have (acquired '04) and it is a great vehicle.

Finding any '05/'06 will be hard enough and one with UL will be a "unicorn". In the end it boils down to budget and finding the right car at the right time.

Can't go very far wrong with any decent shape/well maintained 430 so good luck in your search.
Old 03-04-16, 03:40 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bradland
Thanks guys!

I understand the UL pkg was a $12k plus option when new. I'm just not sure how much I need all those extras in the BACK seat. I don't have kids so my back seats rarely get used and the auto leveling height control system kinda scares me...
It is expensive to replace the air-shocks with new units. Most buy used or convert to a regular suspension if they have an issue. UL's also get better highway mileage, are more quiet, have higher quality leather and suede headliners, laser or radar cruise, and the air suspension is the most comfortable ride of them all. The rear package is bulletproof. Very little problems ever reported.
Old 03-04-16, 06:48 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Thanks guys!

The UL package includes every option available in the LS430 line plus the rear seat/audio controls and air suspension. Not yet mentioned is the independent rear A/C (which includes a small refrigerator box and a full time UV light to remove bacteria and odor in the air supply). This is a real bonus if you live in the desert area. Helps cool the car down fast and easily maintains a cool interior without strain.

I personally love my UL and think it's worth the extra money/expenses. Just my opinion.

P.S. The UL is not about "need", it's about "want".
Old 03-04-16, 06:56 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

Get the UL and don't look back. Best car Lexus has ever made.

Steve
Old 03-06-16, 12:37 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

For you ULers:

What is so special about the "swivel" reading lights in the back, or what exactly are they? That was listed in the brochure as an extra. I've seen the back of ULs before and noticed nothing different other than the vent there. The a/c on the non ULs is excellent and cools the car down quickly, so I'm sure it's extra nice having a whole separate unit!

If I could find a 430 that was UL minus Navigation and air suspension and a few more gimmicks, I'd be in heaven. I have never noticed a difference in leather quality or leather shape/design on the seats regardless of package, but the extra touches on the doors and dash, yes I'm jealous lol, also of the headliner. The self close doors and double pane glass (a la W140) are items I wish I had also. The rest I could live without, like the 12 year old Nav/interface and first generation smart key and laser cruise. (No offense!)
Old 03-06-16, 04:10 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, your jealous. Just go get one. The prices are great right now... In all reality, the best of the UL is in its entirety. Who cares if the nav is old? I don't use it either as my phone is much more convenient. Same on the WRX. Why pay thousands for a feature that my phone can do 10x better.

I personally really enjoy laser cruise in most situations when I use cruise control. You can also switch it to regular. The rear AC system is not only about its ability to heat or cool the rear so efficiently. The filtration system is amazing. Not only do you get the extra huge filter but it also uses a UV light to kill bacteria in the air. There is a smoke sensor for smokers as well. Not exactly sure what the smoke sensor actually does.

The air suspension is not some curse that is going to fleece your wallet. I'm at 144k without a single problem with mine. I bought into this hearsay when I got mine and purchased nice use set of air-shocks on eBay. 4 years later they are still waiting to be installed.

In 2004, you could get the Saddle interior with Briarwood Pearl exterior. Honestly, I have never seen another one like it.

Model Lineup

The 2006 Lexus LS 430 comes in just one trim level ($56,525), and it's loaded with luxury and convenience features. Among them: a power moonroof with auto open/close, a power rear sunshade, and lighted rear-seat vanity mirrors. Leather-trimmed upholstery comes standard, of course.

Several leather upgrades are available, however, including Ecru ($1,460), Black Semi-Aniline ($2,100) and Saddle Comfort Nappa ($2,100); all three require the purchase of an additional upgrade package, and Saddle Comfort Nappa is restricted to models painted Black Onyx or Flint Mica.

The Premium Package ($1,390) adds climate-controlled front seats with fans that circulate heated or chilled air, heated rear seats, and sonar-based Intuitive Parking Assist.

The Modern Luxury Package ($4,980) bundles a Mark Levinson audio system, navigation system, reversing camera, Bluetooth communications technology, climate controlled front seats, heated rear seats, and Intuitive Parking Assist.

The Custom Luxury Selection ($5,935) includes the Mark Levinson audio, navigation system, rear backup camera, Bluetooth, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, Intuitive Parking Assist, climate-controlled front seats, rear seat heaters, headlamp washers, and power door closers.

The Ultra Luxury Selection ($11,320) features all that plus Adaptive Variable Air Suspension, SmartAccess keyless entry and ignition, and a number of amenities for rear seat passengers, including: sunshades for the rear passenger doors, a rear-seat adjuster with memory, climate-controlled rear seats with a massage feature, and a rear air conditioner with optical deodorizer. The Custom Luxury and Ultra Luxury packages can be paired with the Pre-Collision Safety System, in which case Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is substituted for the laser system.

The Sport Package ($220) combines a handling-tuned suspension with 18-inch wheels and summer tires. The same package with chromed wheels costs a bit more ($1,920).

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-06-16 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-06-16, 02:37 PM
vcheng
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Yeah, your jealous. Just go get one. The prices are great right now... In all reality, the best of the UL is in its entirety. Who cares if the nav is old? I don't use it either as my phone is much more convenient. Same on the WRX. Why pay thousands for a feature that my phone can do 10x better.

I personally really enjoy laser cruise in most situations when I use cruise control. You can also switch it to regular. The rear AC system is not only about its ability to heat or cool the rear so efficiently. The filtration system is amazing. Not only do you get the extra huge filter but it also uses a UV light to kill bacteria in the air. There is a smoke sensor for smokers as well. Not exactly sure what the smoke sensor actually does.

The air suspension is not some curse that is going to fleece your wallet. I'm at 144k without a single problem with mine. I bought into this hearsay when I got mine and purchased nice use set of air-shocks on eBay. 4 years later they are still waiting to be installed.

In 2004, you could get the Saddle interior with Briarwood Pearl exterior. Honestly, I have never seen another one like it.
I concur. Drive a regular LS right after the UL, and one can easily feel the extra smoothness in the ride of the air suspension, plus all the other toys are nice.
Old 03-07-16, 07:23 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

You can get an updated DVD from a member on here for the nav system which will update it to the newest maps available. I usually use my Iphone as well though.

Steve K.