LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Mark Levinson sub replacement with aftermarket sub (Detailed pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 06:55 PM
740ilsamue
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After also dodging the cost of a new ML sub, I tried the Kicker and the Pyramid, but ended up refoaming the ML sub. The Kicker wasn't a 8ohm as advertised, and the Pyramid was ok for over a year, but I always limited the volume and bass. Didn't want to chance blowing my amp, so I bought Simple Speaker foam kit. Wasn't difficult, and now I understand why Mark Levinson was chosen for the LS 430.
Old 03-26-16, 03:31 AM
vcheng
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom57
Yes, I've repaired subs and door speakers with new speaker foam from Simply Speakers. Haven't had a speaker coil fail, but that would not be a DIY repair.
Originally Posted by 740ilsamue
After also dodging the cost of a new ML sub, I tried the Kicker and the Pyramid, but ended up refoaming the ML sub. The Kicker wasn't a 8ohm as advertised, and the Pyramid was ok for over a year, but I always limited the volume and bass. Didn't want to chance blowing my amp, so I bought Simple Speaker foam kit. Wasn't difficult, and now I understand why Mark Levinson was chosen for the LS 430.
Exactly my point. I would rather have the OEM speaker foam repaired rather than replacing the ML subwoofer with something different. It is not a difficult job, and the repair would maintain the original audio performance for which the system is famous.
Old 03-26-16, 07:10 PM
LudeAEM
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I MAY have found a suitable fit. 16ohm when wired in series

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--295-484
Old 03-26-16, 08:41 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by LudeAEM
So I MAY have found a suitable fit. 16ohm when wired in series

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--295-484
Parts Express has good quality components. That sub looks like a good replacement when wired for 16 ohm impedance. And it looks like it is better built with much bigger magnet structure than the crappy bargain bin quality OEM Mark Levinson sub
Old 03-27-16, 12:13 AM
Pwrov1
Rookie

After a week with this sub I am very impressed. It hits very well considering the small amount of power that is running it and it doesn't cut out or distort on the lows. I love having bass in my car now! Also the materials in this sub as well as the magnet are all of higher quality than the stock ML sub. I was reluctant to go with anything other than stock but after hearing guys that have used this exact sub in their LS430 for a while and those saying it was better than the ML I thought I would give it a try. I'm very glad I did! I know there are going to be those that think the OEM Mark Levinson sub is just awesome and whatever but I can tell you after a side by side comparison with this Polk sub, the materials are night and day as far as quality. The ML sub with the crappy paper cone is just an over priced speaker that is nothing special imo.

Last edited by Pwrov1; 03-27-16 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-27-16, 11:00 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

I installed the same Polk sub in my LS last summer when my ML sub started buzzing the second time... I don't crank the volume too often and it has been sounding great since June. Keep the volume at a reasonable level, and I really don't think you'll have any problems.
Old 11-04-17, 08:47 PM
1SikSc1Day
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default kicker 8ohm comp

For anyone reluctant...
i would suggest going with the 8ohm kicker comp sub. it fits fairly easily, is 8ohm to begin with and sounds excellent.

I installed dynamat all thru the rear deck and filled all the odd gaps that are there. Also, i suggest yo stick some polyfill down into the sub cavity and call it a day.
I play my mysic at 48-55 volume daily for hours. i have no clipping, no issue. bass is about 3 notches below max in stock deck.

Also...just to set the record straight. For all those that make fun of the stock ML subs "magnet size" being puny....
well you should know that its a neo magnet compared to a ferrite magnet in most subs. neo magnets are far more efficient than ferrite. far.....maybe 10 fold. if you understand the role a magnet plays in a sub....you'd understand.
my 2 cents on the topic.
Old 11-05-17, 02:26 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Just to chime in after 8-9 years of ownership and having replaced many items on my ML system including a new ML OEM subwoofer and 2 door OEM ML speakers....is this. I went the glue method, the refoam method, and didn't want to risk the aftermarket non compatable ohm method and after all these years... my ML system is working fine. I do not blast the music and try but not effectively to keep the rear subwoofer out of direct sunlight although the rear window is now effectively tinted. Yes, it's not a quality sub, but it works with what I have without extensive modifications. Good luck to those that have replaced the sub with a Polk or anything that works. I do sincerely wish you many years of trouble free music. I just don't want any more issues with my old amp or anything audio. I spent the bucks for a new OEM sub but at the time was a fairly good price of $295 delivered. Try pricing them now!!! Let's enjoy our cars! I do.
Old 11-06-17, 12:59 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 117 Posts

Want to get in on this thread and also to see if anyone can confirm that we are supposed to be running a 16 ohm speaker? I was to going to get the Polk 8 ohm dual coil and wire them together like this to make 16 ohm.
Old 11-26-17, 06:41 PM
lr2017
Driver School Candidate

Default Db842dvc

I searched POLK website and found this is no longer available instead this is available, will this work:

DB842DVC

DB+ Series 8" Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer with Marine Certification

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/db842dvc

Thank you.
Old 01-17-18, 11:27 AM
iriz
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dayton Audio SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer

Anyone installed the Dayton Audio SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer mentioned almost two years ago in this thread?

Can be had for only $30. Wonder how it sounds.
Old 01-17-18, 06:40 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by iriz
Anyone installed the Dayton Audio SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer mentioned almost two years ago in this thread?

Can be had for only $30. Wonder how it sounds.
I've had mine installed for about a year and a half on the Dayton with zero issues. And i drive mine pretty hard (most of my listening involves really terrible and generic EDM)

Pic of proof of ownership

Also, if anyone is curious I made this very unscientific frequency graph of the DB215A-88 on the Mark Levinson amplifier with a cheap handheld bBA meter. Take it with a grain of salt, its just something i did for fun to see what it would come up with.

Pic of frequency graph
Old 01-17-18, 08:44 PM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by 1SikSc1Day
For anyone reluctant...
i would suggest going with the 8ohm kicker comp sub. it fits fairly easily, is 8ohm to begin with and sounds excellent.

I installed dynamat all thru the rear deck and filled all the odd gaps that are there. Also, i suggest yo stick some polyfill down into the sub cavity and call it a day.
I play my mysic at 48-55 volume daily for hours. i have no clipping, no issue. bass is about 3 notches below max in stock deck.

Also...just to set the record straight. For all those that make fun of the stock ML subs "magnet size" being puny....
well you should know that its a neo magnet compared to a ferrite magnet in most subs. neo magnets are far more efficient than ferrite. far.....maybe 10 fold. if you understand the role a magnet plays in a sub....you'd understand.
my 2 cents on the topic.

I have researched 2001-2006 ML speaker components pretty extensively. I found nothing in any available literature, or elsewhere on the net that indicates the LS 2001-2006 ML subwoofer has a neodymium magnet. What I saw on very close in-hand exam of the speaker is a very cheap looking bargain basement speaker with a ferrite style magnet. If possible please provide any doco or a link to technical specs on the LM sub for 2001-2006 LS430 that lists a neodymium magnet structure.
Old 01-18-18, 10:59 AM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I have researched 2001-2006 ML speaker components pretty extensively. I found nothing in any available literature, or elsewhere on the net that indicates the LS 2001-2006 ML subwoofer has a neodymium magnet. What I saw on very close in-hand exam of the speaker is a very cheap looking bargain basement speaker with a ferrite style magnet. If possible please provide any doco or a link to technical specs on the LM sub for 2001-2006 LS430 that lists a neodymium magnet structure.
I don't know how much you trust company brochures, but its at least advertised in them for the (2001, 2002, and 2003) LS 430's.

https://i.imgur.com/kHKOiKY.png
The following 2 users liked this post by Mobius1:
Jabberwock (01-18-18), Vmost66 (03-23-18)
Old 01-18-18, 11:47 AM
Jabberwock

Based on the brochure text it looks like some of the speakers have neodymium magnets. Neodymium magnets don't provide any real advantage (other than smaller lighter size) in hi-end audio applications especially in terms of subwoofers where mass and structure is a good thing. I stand by my assessment that the OEM ML sub used in LS430 and SC430, regardless of magnet material, is a light weight generic bargain basement quality subwoofer. Most semi-knowledgeable audio folks would not pay more than $15 dollars for it if is was unlabeled, with I'm guessing the majority rejecting its use regardless of cost due to clearly inferior build and component quality.
The following users liked this post:
bjchilds1 (11-26-21)

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson sub replacement with aftermarket sub (Detailed pics)