LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430-Tire tires discussions (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 06:46 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Primacys Hands down.
Old 11-21-10, 12:03 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to be pretty unanimous. So, what's the difference between the MXV4 and MXM4?
Old 11-21-10, 01:39 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

Manufacturer websites often describe their products well enough.

http://www.michelinman.ca/tire-selec...4/tire-details
http://www.michelinman.ca/tire-selec...4/tire-details

MXV4 has higher treadlife and comfort, lower braking and handling. MXM4 has lower treadlife and comfort, higher braking and handling. The Warranty and Specs pages also provide more insight.
Old 11-21-10, 04:26 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

you are finding out the most "popular" tire choice. That may not be "the best" choice for you.
Old 11-21-10, 04:27 PM
Stu
Racer

hey 300 posts, I can sell my wheels and tires here now, lol
Old 11-22-10, 02:53 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Another vote for the MXV4. Super quiet...which is #1 most important in my book. If they didn't look SO bad, I would go with the smaller rim/tire combo (I have 18inch) because those take quiet to whole new level only possible with taller sidewalls.
Old 11-22-10, 06:27 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mannye
Another vote for the MXV4. Super quiet...which is #1 most important in my book. If they didn't look SO bad, I would go with the smaller rim/tire combo (I have 18inch) because those take quiet to whole new level only possible with taller sidewalls.
LOL I'm thinking of going from 18" to 17" wheels next spring if I can find 17" wheels I like - ones that look like the factory 18" wheels. I actually prefer the look of the taller sidewall on a luxury car. This isn't a rally car.
Old 11-22-10, 09:23 AM
dennass69
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also in seattle, I just picked up the Continental extreme contact DWS. Have yet to mount them but they rate very well in snow/ice wet and dry.
Old 11-22-10, 01:00 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by dennass69
I'm also in seattle, I just picked up the Continental extreme contact DWS. Have yet to mount them but they rate very well in snow/ice wet and dry.
Continental ExtremeContact DWS are rated higher than the Michelins that EVERYONE here likes so much.

I am waiting for the first snowfall in Toronto just to see how they do in the snow ... and probably put the snows on after ( if I have to, lol )
Old 11-22-10, 03:33 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Preference for tires on our cars is always dependent on what is most important to the driver. For the barge that I own, quietness comes first, and handling which is pretty much non existent for an aircraft carrier comes in at a far distant priority. The Primacys are quiet. That is most important to me.
Old 11-23-10, 12:37 PM
vollandt
Driver

I've used Primacys and am now have Yoko Envigors. No data measurements, but to my ear, they are every bit as quiet (if not quieter) as the Primacys. The envigor just came out early this year and the reviews confirming the quietness are starting to come in.
Old 11-23-10, 01:26 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I vote for quiet and comfort as my main goals also. If I wanted big time handling I'd get something smaller than the Lexus Barge-o-matic delux : )

The original Dunlop Sports that came OEM on the car were extremely quiet. The Dunlops did seem to hydroplane faster than the Primacys. Here in DFW area, rain based hydroplaning is my main concern - ice and snow are rare and can be easily avoided by staying home for a day as it never sticks around very long.
Old 11-23-10, 04:30 PM
subrvin
Driver School Candidate

I have the Toyo Versado LX tires and they are very quiet, handle great, and during the recent rains, have held very well, I would recommend these for quietness.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx
Old 11-24-10, 05:48 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Continental

Originally Posted by Stu
Continental ExtremeContact DWS are rated higher than the Michelins that EVERYONE here likes so much.

I am waiting for the first snowfall in Toronto just to see how they do in the snow ... and probably put the snows on after ( if I have to, lol )
I don't have the ExtremeContact, but I can vouch for the ContiProContact which have over 30K on my ownership and who knows how many miles from previous owner. Still has about 50% wear left. Have been excellent on rain also. Have not tried on snow much, but for the light dusting, it was good.

Quiet and soft on the ride, so if you like a night boaty ride, it's good.
Old 11-24-10, 03:31 PM
David M
Driver

I will NEVER buy Michelin tires ever again. I've had *two* blow out on me (both within one year of purchase) and the French-owned Michelin covered neither tire, saying "We don't cover sidewall blowouts." Well, did I blow the tire out? Give me a break. One set of tires was on a motorhome and did high dollar$ damage. The other set was on a car. <censored> Michelin company.

Re tires to get: check out the Tire Rack website. They show actual tires tests AND feedback from customers who post on the tires on a per vehicle basis.

I prefer the all-season tires now that they have "ultra" handling capability ratings. Then I look for dry and wet traction numbers with quietness being a very close third. Do the same for sports car, pickup, and motorhome. Wish that kind of data were available for motorcycles, too. <sigh>

Surprisingly, Kuhmos, Dunlops, and a couple of other lower priced tires have beaten the traditionally higher priced brands in all categories. Just be careful and shop according to your very personal criteria. HTH.

Last edited by David M; 11-25-10 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply: LS430-Tire tires discussions (The Mother thread)