LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430-Tire tires discussions (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 10:05 AM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If money is a slight concern, my Kumho TA71's have been servicing me well for the past 3 months ive had them. Decently quiet, above adequate dry grip, REALLY good in the rain as well.
Old 11-16-16, 11:20 AM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

I liked the Yoko S-Drives on our 400, those went a few ticks over 42K miles. Nice part is they are not asymmetrical so they can be flipped if there are camber issues. The last set of Continental DW I really liked from the performance standpoint, responsive turn in, braking and cornering. Noise fairly similar to the Yoko's but maybe a bit louder when they got up in age-miles. The DW didn't break 40K miles, that was disappointing but acceptable for their overall characteristics. I have the Conti DWS 06 A/S on the car now. Still early to tell at about 60 miles driven. They don't feel as quick as the DW, obviously for an A/S over summer rubber. They are quiet, good ride due to the softer sidewall. Can't comment on traction or braking yet. TR has the DW 245/40-18 at $135, wallet friendly! With some hunting and dealing, probably can be under $600 installed. I paid $800 for the DW back in '12.
Old 11-16-16, 12:02 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r=#testResults

Kumho Solus TA71 (Grand Touring All-Season, 215/60R16 95V)
  • What We Liked: Impressive wet traction, a quiet highway cruiser
  • What We'd Improve: Could be a little more civilized over impacts of all kinds and have better snow traction
  • Conclusion: A strong competitor that should be seriously considered if winter traction is not a high priority

Last edited by Daspyda; 11-16-16 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 03:36 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was in the exact same spot as you 6 months ago shopping for tires for my 18 inch factory wheels.

Save yourself the headache and get the Michelin Premier A/S. Best tire in class.

I got the best price from MR TIRE. They price matched Tire rack and included mounting and balancing.
Old 11-16-16, 04:04 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bmore430
Was in the exact same spot as you 6 months ago shopping for tires for my 18 inch factory wheels.
Save yourself the headache and get the Michelin Premier A/S. Best tire in class.
I got the best price from MR TIRE. They price matched Tire rack and included mounting and balancing.
I have 18's also and once I can get rid of my crappy Goodyears I will either buy the Michelin Premiers or Pirellis P7
Old 11-16-16, 05:06 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

got the pirelli's p7+ about a month ago. Quite pleased so far, they are plenty good handling, i don't find them soft or sloppy at all. Really quiet and smooth. Prior tire was the primacy mxv4 with around 4-5/32 left on them. my wheels are 17 inch however
Old 11-16-16, 06:38 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bmore430

just realized these are the car version of the tires my wife just got on her SUV. She got the premier ltx's. They are a newer compound as the tires start off at 8.5/32, not 10-11/32. Yet they are still warranted for 60k.

i can totally see the argument that the LS does not need a ultra high performance tire, although it did come with them (Dunlops). The trade off is touring tires likely last 30% longer....I mean I have Rydanz Roadster 02's, $100 tires thanks to the dealer that sold the car. What am I really missing?
Old 11-16-16, 06:52 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I guess you will really never know what ya are missing and yur happy with the entry level tires so good for you.
Old 11-17-16, 06:10 PM
Lzam
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You probably won't believe this but I bought a set of nankang 18 inch tires from tire direct or tire zone for around 300 bucks. I have put 6000 miles on them and they are by far the best tires I have had on the car. I have 116,000 on the clock and I can assure you I will be buying the same set again. And I did a lot of research before I bought them.
Old 11-19-16, 12:47 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I went with the Michelin Premier A/S for my 2001 LS430. These tires are the newest technology and are very smooth and quiet. I liked the fact that as the tire wears it gets better wet traction.
Old 11-19-16, 02:15 PM
aschuetz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my 06 LS430 a few weeks ago, and just had the tires and breaks done this week. I researched on the forums rigorously about tire choices, trying to get a solid understanding of how the tires would perform over their entire life. I also researched e-retailers and, like PCW just said, went with the Michelin Premier A/S. At the end of the day, I want my LS to ride the way Lexus designed it to. I do however, believe that you have to take into consideration the type of driving you will be doing, as well as road conditions. I'm not saying other tires won't work out. Here in the Maryland area we get all types of weather over the course of the year, and I want tires that can handle the road conditions. If you live in an area that has different climate, take that into account. I will say, if budgeting is not a serious restraint, consider the Michelin's. You will not be disappointed.
Old 11-20-16, 01:47 PM
markwhit
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a new set of Michelin premier LTX tires for my 04. I went up a size to 235/50/R18 from the 245/45. Feel like I sit up a little higher.. The tires are smooth and quiet on highway. However I noticed like going over pot holes or RR tracks they seem like not to absorb the harshness as much as the other tires. Not that big of a deal but maybe since I only have 50 miles on them with 35 psi of air. Had to reset the TPMS since it came on. Turn the car to ON but don't start. Hold down the Tire button under dash. First you will see "check tire" and then the "Pressure Initialization" on the dash while holding in the button. They will both go out and then I went for a 20 min drive and hasn't came back on.
Attached Thumbnails LS430-Tire tires discussions (The Mother thread)-tire.jpg  
Old 11-20-16, 02:58 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by markwhit
I just bought a new set of Michelin premier LTX tires for my 04. I went up a size to 235/50/R18 from the 245/45. Feel like I sit up a little higher.. The tires are smooth and quiet on highway. However I noticed like going over pot holes or RR tracks they seem like not to absorb the harshness as much as the other tires. Not that big of a deal but maybe since I only have 50 miles on them with 35 psi of air. Had to reset the TPMS since it came on. Turn the car to ON but don't start. Hold down the Tire button under dash. First you will see "check tire" and then the "Pressure Initialization" on the dash while holding in the button. They will both go out and then I went for a 20 min drive and hasn't came back on.
congrats! as mentioned, my wife just got the Premier LTX for her SUV last weekend, and I think they are the same, just designed for light trucks. So far, so good, and we plan on having these 5+ years......I also like that these and many Michelins are made in USA....
Old 11-21-16, 09:26 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mickey Thompson ET Street Rs.....oh wait.....

I'm going to be in the market for 20 inch tyres soon, and buggered if I know what to get. My bank balance is saying Triangle or Linglong tyres but the driver in me wants decent Hankooks or Bridgestones
Old 11-22-16, 06:14 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

You get what you pay for...

Use Tirerack.com and pay for it with Paypal Finance and get 6 mo free interest.

Quick Reply: LS430-Tire tires discussions (The Mother thread)