LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430-Tire tires discussions (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 02:48 PM
StlLexusTe
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelin's wear extremely well on these cars, provided the alignment is correct and suspension components are not worn. Inflate to 35psi with Nitrogen. Yes Nitrogen DOES make a difference, I dont care what anyone says, I have switched my LS430, and my PT Cruiser to Nitrogen, and could tell a ride difference in both cars. It is a little stiffer, but the pressure doesnt change nearly as much with temperature fluctuation, and doesnt "seep" out as easily as Nitrogen molecules are larger than regular air. It also doesnt hold as much moisture as air, so it helps prevent rotting. Just my opinion
Old 06-02-10, 08:18 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default tread depth is trivial

Originally Posted by timoc42
I would recommend the Conti Extreme Contacts. That tire has really deep thread, that allows you to get more mileage out of it.
I'm sorry but I totally disagree with your statement.

Aside from the drivers "habits" the Uniform Tire Quality Grading - UTQG more specifically the treadware rating is the single most milage determining factor with the tire.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/tire2.htm

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48
Old 07-21-10, 12:18 AM
rizo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2002 UL that rides noisy as well. I am looking to buy new tires....so the Absolute quietest tires regardless of cost are...??? i have 17's
Old 07-21-10, 07:12 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Probably the 17 inch OEM Dunlops are the softest and most quiet.
Old 07-21-10, 08:58 AM
LA Wheel
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rizo1
i have a 2002 UL that rides noisy as well. I am looking to buy new tires....so the Absolute quietest tires regardless of cost are...??? i have 17's
Kuhmo Tires are quiet and give you a great ride. I had them on my IS and loved them.
Old 07-21-10, 09:22 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The tires that came with my LS are only ones I have experience with, but thus far they're pretty good in rain and quiet (might be because of the car) and unless I get some sort of 99% recommendation for a particular tire (seems the Primacy are good) then I just might get the same ones.

Continental ContiProContact on OEM 17"
Old 07-21-10, 01:08 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Hands down....Michelin Primacys. Worth every penny.
Old 07-21-10, 08:06 PM
rizo1
Driver School Candidate

cool! gettin the Primacys tomorrow! thanks for the info!
Old 07-21-10, 08:15 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

cool! gettin the Primacys tomorrow! thanks for the info!
For the extra few dollars, go for the V rated tires. They handle exceptionally well for a car this size and are absolutely whisper quiet.
Old 07-22-10, 01:12 PM
hlippy4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in Ohio -- In November I put Cooper CS4's on my 04 Ls430 -- amazing tire -- I've had ls's since 96 and have had every tire imaginable on them -- the Cooper's are by FAR the best -- just came back from Toronto on 5 hour trip -- very very quiet.........good luck
Old 07-22-10, 06:49 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well most major tire makers do have nice quiet tires for any luxury sedan.

Here are key points when you go shopping and you can consult the tire shop.

Luxury car tires which need to have comfort have the following characters:

1. soft sidewalls, for comfortable ride without needing low pressure inflation.
2. round shoulders, for least amount of tracking so it steers towards the center.
3. and small, deep tread blocks to reduce noise.

Performance tires are opposite of this, and your choice depends on your preference and selection is usually somewhere in the middle, but focused on your desired level or sacrifices in comfort or performance.

More advanced tires are generally more expensive, and feature exotic belt materials, and composite rubbers to give performance and less compromises. There are recommendations on manufacturer websites giving you a basic idea of what each tire is intended for, and staying close to that should give you a decent tire.

Also, worn tires and generally have higher noise levels due to the rubber treads not being as forgiving as it rolls.

Regardless of any size changes to aftermarket for visual or performance upgrades the rules still apply. Only that one should always try to keep the diameter of the tire similar via use of larger diameter wheels for lower profiles. This so that your speedometer will not be grossly off due to the change. A drastic diameter change not only affects the speedometer reading, but also calibration of the navigation system when in non-GPS mode, and also your mileage count of the odometer.

Last edited by motohide; 07-22-10 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 09:15 PM
rizo1
Driver School Candidate

Got the pimacys (H rated, didn't see your post about the V's in time) and am very happy with them. Very quiet most of the time, a bit of road noise on rough surfaces on the freeway...but it's pretty hard to get away from that.
Old 07-28-10, 04:52 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, all the love for the Primacy I just might have to switch once my Continentals go out. Right now I have all-season on the 17" and snow on the 16", but might switch out to 16" on Primacy and snow on 17" to get an even MORE comfortable ride on the Primacy.
Old 07-28-10, 09:06 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Got the pimacys (H rated, didn't see your post about the V's in time) and am very happy with them. Very quiet most of the time, a bit of road noise on rough surfaces on the freeway...but it's pretty hard to get away from that.
You'll love the primacys! On rough surfaces any tire will have some road noise. On the other hand, on certain surfaces, the primacys are totally silent. Great choice.
Old 07-29-10, 04:05 PM
430Driver
Driver School Candidate

Got the Primacy MXV4 today. Awesome! Highly recomended...and not too $$ either.

Quick Reply: LS430-Tire tires discussions (The Mother thread)