LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering column volume button fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-16 | 06:03 AM
asujithdr
Rookie

Default Steering column volume button fix

I had issue with the volume up and down button in my 2004 LS430. This simple fix for SC 430 from another forum worked like a treat in my LS Not sure if it is already in CL forum, didn't find it here in my search.

Issue:
Volume up button increases the volume by one point which immediately returns back to where it was. Volume down button makes no response. Volume wheel in the radio works normal.

Fix:
Turn ignition with key to ACC. Do the next 2 steps in the following 30 seconds.
Press MODE for 10 sec or more and release.
Press channel up 3 times and then channel down 3 times in 5 seconds (channel button above and below the MODE button, not the volume buttons).
Turn ignition to ON and then to OFF.

My volume buttons started working well again. Thanks to the original poster. Hope this is helpful to some other member
Old 06-24-16 | 06:24 AM
Legender
Racer

Excellent info. And thanks for sharing, but hope we won't need it
Old 06-24-16 | 06:25 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Nice never knew about this one. Mine works fine but this is a good trick to keep noted.
Old 11-01-18 | 12:07 PM
Serjusa
Driver School Candidate

Default It worked for me

I had the same issu with my 06 LS430,thank you
Old 11-02-18 | 10:49 AM
caddylover
Pit Crew

same here, my buttons weren't working and i see this thread and BAM, back to working again. thx so much!!
Old 11-02-18 | 08:19 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

it is in this forum. i read it before but it didn't work for me..........but.........

well i'll be damned, lol. i read this before (another thread) and tried it but it didn't work. thought that it was either my ebay clockspring (lol, had to replace that since my horn and nothing else on the steering wheel worked) or something was wrong with the steering wheel controls iteself. i actually tried it half a dozen times before. thought, what the hell i'll do it again. 1st time, still nothing. but then i turned the radio off and tried it and it actually worked. so awesome. thanks to the original poster and this thread starter for bringing ti back up again.

also just in case, not sure if it was just how mine had to be done or if the radio does have to be off. but if someone tries it and the radio was on, try it with the radio off.

Last edited by ebxgsxr; 11-02-18 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-07-18 | 07:57 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

HOW is this fix even possible?!?!?! My volume button died about two years ago, and search here at time and never found anything on it, except owners that either had button assembly replace, or the head unit reflashed. Both costly.... and then I come upon this last week and think "what? how can all this pressing of buttons fix what's a physical problem." Either the contacts are rusted out, worm out, or something is wrong with the radio. Anyway, I see a few users tried and it worked so I gave it a try. HOLY SMOKES !!! It actually worked, my volume button is back to working. Now my LS is back to being perfect.

I had asked the dealership at two visits to see what they could do, and all they said was they'd have to either replace and buttons and see, or to replace the unit... both not good options so I just lived with it. So, are dealers not even aware of this quick fix, or are they aware and just want to fleece the owners out of big $$$ by doing this 20 second fix? Really does make me now have a bad feeling towards my dealer.
Old 09-24-19 | 04:23 PM
AlexB36
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
it is in this forum. i read it before but it didn't work for me..........but.........

well i'll be damned, lol. i read this before (another thread) and tried it but it didn't work. thought that it was either my ebay clockspring (lol, had to replace that since my horn and nothing else on the steering wheel worked) or something was wrong with the steering wheel controls iteself. i actually tried it half a dozen times before. thought, what the hell i'll do it again. 1st time, still nothing. but then i turned the radio off and tried it and it actually worked. so awesome. thanks to the original poster and this thread starter for bringing ti back up again.

also just in case, not sure if it was just how mine had to be done or if the radio does have to be off. but if someone tries it and the radio was on, try it with the radio off.
Forum Members,

I just purchased a 2004 LS430 that has an intermittent steering wheel volume control issue. My LS has the Mark Levison stereo and Navigation.

On my wheel, volume control up = down. Volume control down = set. Set = set. Very strange. Sometimes it will operate normally, but most times it will operate as described with the whole pattern shifted one button down. Volume on the head unit works correctly.

I've tried the reset procedure. Ignition (With key in or out? Doesn't seem to matter) to ACC. Within 30 seconds hold MODE on steering wheel down for 10 seconds minimum. Let go of MODE. Depress UP ARROW (above MODE) on wheel 3 times, then DOWN ARROW (below MODE) on wheel 3 times all within 5 seconds. Turn key to ON, then to OFF.

I must be doing something wrong because the above doesn't work for me. I've tried pushing in the volume **** on the head unit to show AUDIO OFF on the navigation screen prior to starting the procedure. Is there a way to turn the stereo more 'off'?

I'm almost at the point where I want to film myself doing the procedure because I feel like a dang fool at this point.

Can someone who has done this on an '04 or similar gen LS with the ML + Nav. please chime in? If this doesn't fix it, should I be looking at my clock spring next?

Thank you for reading!
Old 09-24-19 | 04:29 PM
bradland

Good chance it's the clock spring.
Old 09-24-19 | 04:34 PM
AlexB36
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
Good chance it's the clock spring.
Could it be that the clock spring is not returning completely hence the even button pattern shift? I actually don't really know how the clock spring works, but I assume it is what allows contact between a rotating wheel and stationary steering column.
Old 09-24-19 | 05:12 PM
bradland

Originally Posted by AlexB36
Could it be that the clock spring is not returning completely hence the even button pattern shift? I actually don't really know how the clock spring works, but I assume it is what allows contact between a rotating wheel and stationary steering column.
Old 10-01-19 | 05:30 PM
AlexB36
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
video
Thanks for this, Brad. The clockspring is a wound up ribbon cable with single snap connectors on either end. All steering wheel electrics work properly, except for the volume controls. I'm new here so I apologize for doubting your knowledge, but I would expect less functionality from the other wheel controls if there was a short or disconnect somewhere. Car is also very low mileage at 22k.

I've posted a short video of me attempting the reset procedure. If you've successfully pulled this off on your car, I'd appreciate a look and any feedback you have.

https://youtu.be/lGi0NtHXYfQ

Last edited by AlexB36; 10-01-19 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Can't get video to embed