LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission Pan/Filter Torque Specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-16, 12:27 PM
mekelly
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Pan/Filter Torque Specs

Hi, I am going to be dropping my pan and replacing the trans filter on my 2002 LS430.

Does anyone know what the correct LEXUS torque specs are for:

1. Transmission Drain Plug
2. Transmission Pan Bolts
3. Transmission Filter

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-27-16, 01:36 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 677 Likes on 463 Posts

Here you go...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
OVR.pdf (98.6 KB, 3372 views)
Old 06-27-16, 02:53 PM
mekelly
Rookie

Perfect, thanks!

Do you know if the factory uses RTV to seal the pan or whether they use a gasket?

As much as I want to drop the pan, clean the magnets and change the filter, I really don't feel like having to clean RTV off the pan and case!

I don't think the pan's ever been dropped so I assume it's sealed with whatever the factory used.
Old 06-27-16, 03:41 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Factory uses rtv.
Old 06-27-16, 05:45 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mekelly
Perfect, thanks!

Do you know if the factory uses RTV to seal the pan or whether they use a gasket?

As much as I want to drop the pan, clean the magnets and change the filter, I really don't feel like having to clean RTV off the pan and case!

I don't think the pan's ever been dropped so I assume it's sealed with whatever the factory used.
What is your concern specifically? It is not a difficult task. RTV is basically liquid rubber. You can buy a gasket scraper tool or use a screwdriver (carefully) to scrape all traces off the pan and case. Then squirt a decent bead of RTV around the pan covering the perimeter and then bolt the pan up. Let it dry overnight and you should be good to go. As long as you don't miss any spots, it should be easy.
Old 06-27-16, 10:11 PM
911LE
Instructor

The .pdf posted above shows the placement and quantity (bead size) required on the last page. Toyota calls rtv fipg (form in place gasket). I use Permatex ultra black and have had zero issues.
Old 06-28-16, 05:53 PM
mekelly
Rookie

Sometimes RTV can be a royal pain to remove. Although all the transmission pans I've dropped had cork and/or rubber gaskets (very easy to remove), I've fought my share of battles cleaning up RTV when replacing water pumps.

Additionally, I have been doing regular flushes (using the cooler line) and the trans shifts great. Part of the hesitation is the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality about dropping the pan.

The only thing pushing me is I just dropped the pan and replaced the filter on my 2007 Corolla with 117,000 miles. It was the first filter change and the filter definitely had some 'grit' on the mesh. No where near clogged and the magnets were pretty well coated in the fine greyish powder you always see. As the LS430 has 181,000 miles and the pan's never been dropped, I almost feel compelled to drop it, clean the pan/magnets and change the filter.

I am looking at a Beck/Arnley filter with a rubber gasket. How do you guys feel about using the rubber gasket and not messing with RTV?
Old 06-28-16, 07:49 PM
911LE
Instructor

If you feel compelled to drop the pan go ahead and do it. I think Toyota doesn't recommend it as you run the risk of contamination when opening a closed system. One miniscule piece of rtv or dirt introduced accidently while cleaning the case surface or while the pan is off can wreak havoc on any of a number of small oil passages inside the trans.
I would recommend using rtv to reseal it and not the gasket even if it comes with the filter. The rtv essentially glues the pan on with less chances for a leak. The pan is actually designed to use rtv and not a gasket. The mating surface has valleys stamped into it which promote a better seal when the rtv is applied as per the factory service manual. Gaskets can cause issues from being under or over tightened, they can dry out and shrink, or they can swell over time from additives in the oil. Almost all of our cars need valve cover gaskets replaced at some time but oil and trans pan leaks are pretty uncommon. Trust Toyota. If they thought the tranny pan would be better off with a gasket they would have used one.
Old 06-29-16, 04:02 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mekelly

Additionally, I have been doing regular flushes (using the cooler line) and the trans shifts great. Part of the hesitation is the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality about dropping the pan.

That would be my advice, to just leave well enough alone.

I just see very little upside to dropping the pan considering you've been regularly changing the fluid. Just seems like a needless headache in my opinion, but I know we all suffer from wanting to be meticulous about maintenance on these cars.
Old 12-07-20, 11:16 AM
Kellys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200k dropped pan

Some sludge, magnets not bad although one short.
pan was factory sealed. One hour to remove rtv.
put new screen and used gasket, plastic switch plate for scraper, some hook Velcro to rub out pan flange. Did not scratch coating on pan, it will rust.
the drain is convex at plug explains sludge.
the pan has been drained a few times.
pan drain a650e 3 quarts a little more on removal
so, 4. I'll flush today after refilling. Driver side return on radiator. Trying segmented bucket pour in equal to pump out. Hope it helps, good day.