Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No response yet. It's been a full day.
Old 07-27-16, 11:48 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Here's the sellers response...

"Yes it was in a small accident. The car has gone through a salvage inspection and can be registered at your local DMV. It pays to come look at it. Where do you plan or registering it?"
Old 07-28-16, 03:52 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fishy as heck that the ad says Clean Title and makes no mention of said Salvage Title inducing "small" accident.

I have had to go look at cars these last few weekends to replace the wife's car that was rear-ended and totaled - drove 4 hours one way a couple of weekends ago to look at a perfect condition low mile vehicle - the trip itself was made after multiple conversations on the phone, was after we had agreed on a price on the contingency that the car checks out ok. And I was pissed off when, upon reaching my destination, the vehicle showed poorly. It did have low miles but it had a rough life those few miles. And the exterior looked perfect from 20 ft away. But when you lay down on the ground and started inspecting every corner, the vehicle had gone through a thorough "refurbishment" prior to it being put on the sale blocks! New paint, bondo, mis-aligned door jambs on one side that seemed like it had been hit, etc. Realized the mistake it would be to purchase this and left on my solo long journey back!

Sellers like this make me very angry now. much more so than before. Deliberately misrepresenting their vehicle, lying about the facts and expecting some unsuspecting dummy to walk in and not notice the shoddy work (maybe). Problem is that dummy also does not know how expensive things could quickly get and is now walking into a financial trap too!

Old 07-28-16, 04:14 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
Fishy as heck that the ad says Clean Title and makes no mention of said Salvage Title inducing "small" accident.

I have had to go look at cars these last few weekends to replace the wife's car that was rear-ended and totaled - drove 4 hours one way a couple of weekends ago to look at a perfect condition low mile vehicle - the trip itself was made after multiple conversations on the phone, was after we had agreed on a price on the contingency that the car checks out ok. And I was pissed off when, upon reaching my destination, the vehicle showed poorly. It did have low miles but it had a rough life those few miles. And the exterior looked perfect from 20 ft away. But when you lay down on the ground and started inspecting every corner, the vehicle had gone through a thorough "refurbishment" prior to it being put on the sale blocks! New paint, bondo, mis-aligned door jambs on one side that seemed like it had been hit, etc. Realized the mistake it would be to purchase this and left on my solo long journey back!

Sellers like this make me very angry now. much more so than before. Deliberately misrepresenting their vehicle, lying about the facts and expecting some unsuspecting dummy to walk in and not notice the shoddy work (maybe). Problem is that dummy also does not know how expensive things could quickly get and is now walking into a financial trap too!
I learned my lesson the hard way years ago trying to find a clean car from used car dealers. When I looked for my current Lexus LS430 my wife and I looked at various used car lots and all of the Lexus were junk. Not until we went to a Lexus dealer did we find a clean car.

Personally I would only buy a Lexus LS430 from a member on this site or a Lexus dealer.
Old 07-28-16, 09:22 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Used car dealers get their cars from the auto auctions. Typically, cars that go to the auctions are the ones passed on by the name brand new AND used car dealers who don't want to offer the car on their lot. You pay a little more going to a name brand dealer that sells both new & used cars, but their used cars are typically the nicer trade-ins. I bought all of my LS's at name brand dealers that offer both new AND used cars (Lexus, Mercedes, and a Ford dealer that had a low-mileage cream-puff LS430 being sold for a friend of the owner of the dealership).
Old 07-29-16, 12:13 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys.
Old 07-29-16, 06:14 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

The ad began with the words "cheap cheap cheap" what a low down dirty shame.
Old 07-29-16, 06:29 AM
Yohimbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not cheap enough.