LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Mechanic did coolant exchange like this-

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-16 | 01:03 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
If I were even able to obtain this antifreeze tester here in florida, theoretically I should be able to check to see what percentage of antifreeze to water was used (Toyota Red was used) by seeing how low the car is protected to correct? What temp would correlate to a true 50% mixture? -31F?

It's probably going to be hard to nail down to an exact %, but if there is very little freeze protection, its a good bet its really diluted.

I would argue getting an exact 50/50 mixture is not some make or break situation. The higher the water to antifreeze ratio, the cooler it will run. The more antifreeze to water, the better the freeze protection. The ratio would have to be drastically off or you live in the ice tundra for there to be an issue in my opinion.

If you think it's too diluted, you could always drain some off and put more concentrated antifreeze in. Would only take a few minutes, just make sure the car has completely cooled down first.
Old 08-04-16 | 01:14 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Just picked up a Prestone antifreeze/coolant tester at walmart for 3 bucks. Says on label it works for all Ethylene Glycol coolants including Prestone, GM, Dex-cool, 5/150 extended life antifreeze/coolant. The Toyota Red is based on Ethlene Glycol. Shouldn't this tester give me an "idea" of what percentage of water to red coolant by the boiling point listed? How far off could it be?
Its the add pack that screws around the most. In the past those have not been accurate for me personally.

For $3, take different known samples of antifreeze (red toyo) and compare your preparations to the tester.

If your 100, 50/50, and straight water can be identified by the tester, then Great. If not, learning experience only cost ya $3.
Old 08-04-16 | 01:59 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Its the add pack that screws around the most. In the past those have not been accurate for me personally.

For $3, take different known samples of antifreeze (red toyo) and compare your preparations to the tester.

If your 100, 50/50, and straight water can be identified by the tester, then Great. If not, learning experience only cost ya $3.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks coolsaber.
Old 08-04-16 | 02:10 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
It's probably going to be hard to nail down to an exact %, but if there is very little freeze protection, its a good bet its really diluted.

I would argue getting an exact 50/50 mixture is not some make or break situation. The higher the water to antifreeze ratio, the cooler it will run. The more antifreeze to water, the better the freeze protection. The ratio would have to be drastically off or you live in the ice tundra for there to be an issue in my opinion.

If you think it's too diluted, you could always drain some off and put more concentrated antifreeze in. Would only take a few minutes, just make sure the car has completely cooled down first.
BradTank, Thanks for your valuable knowledge on this subject. I guess I'm being a little fanatical on this subject, but I just hate the incompetence as well as downright not caring on the part of many dealerships and shops when just doing the "right thing" on any job big or small. When I was younger I was always confident that any work I did on my cars was done properly. Today, due to my age and sophistication of cars, my working on them is over, so having a good relationship with the service manager is my best bet....and then just cross my fingers.
Old 08-05-16 | 12:06 AM
ToneyCross
Driver School Candidate

Red fluid is organic the pink is hybrid organic oat/hoat is the difference in the red and pink..