LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Getting a extra 01-03 remote cheaply

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 06:58 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Getting a extra 01-03 remote cheaply

Since I bought the car one thing that always worried me was losing my key because well it only came with one key. I'd always panic about losing it and how I would deal with that issue. The easy thing would have been to buy one from the dealer but I'm a frugal guy and can't come to spend $200 on one. I started looking around again and reluctantly ordered one off ebay. This is a key that was cut including a remote and coded based on the valet key code. I'm not going to name which one because of forum rules but if you search for the remotes you can find them. They cost only $40 shipped for the one I got! You take a picture of your current key, give them the code and send it over to them. They shipped that day and I got it a few days later.

Theres a complicated procedure to code it, I followed it which was included and well had the issue that it only unlocked the doors which was progress. Started doing some more reading and thought I had to use the tech stream software. When you start the car with the remote it doesn't crank due to the immobilizer. I found another fourm post with how to code for the ignition and I'm happy to report it worked! Theres some spotty info here and there for doing this so I wanted to share again with a updated post for those who need a key on the cheap. If you have a 01-03 you can do it all yourself! For the 04-06 it appears it uses a smart remote so you need the software but perhaps there is a way around.

Including the procedure below which I found on another lexus forum since it was the most complete.
  3. Insert key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
  4. Close and open the driver's door TWO TIMES.
  5. Insert key into the ignition and remove ONE TIME.
  6. Close and open the driver's door TWO TIMES.
  7. Insert key into the ignition.
  8. Close the driver's door.
  9. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME.
    (Do not start engine)
    This will place the car in ADD mode for your remote.
    Note: Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote AND will erase all existing remotes.
  10. Remove the key from the ignition.
    The door locks will cycle one time (or two if set to erase existing remotes).
  11. On the REMOTE press and hold both the LOCK and UNLOCK button for 2 to 5 seconds and release.
    Hold the remote higher for better reception.
  12. On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK button for 1 to 3 seconds and release.

If the door locks cycle once, the procedure was accepted.
    If the door locks cycle twice it has failed and the procedure must be repeated from the beginning.
  13. To end programming, open and close the driver's door then insert key in ignition and remove it.
  14. Verify success by pressing any button on the remote.

Transponder Programming

You have 35 seconds to complete steps 1-5 and 10 seconds to complete step 6. If not performed quickly enough, the car will not go into programming mode and the key transponder will not pair with your car.
  1. Close all doors.
  2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
  3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
  4. Open and close the driver's door SIX (6) times.
  5. Remove the key from the ignition.
  6. Insert the new key to be programmed into the ignition. Leave it in the OFF position.
  7. Wait 1 to 2 minutes. The security light will be blinking. When it stops blinking your key is programmed.
  8. To end programming step on the brake one time.

If the blinking security light does not go off within 2 minutes, the procedure must be repeated from the beginning.
  9. Verify success by starting the engine.