LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Briarwood pearl on saddle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 12:02 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Carfax's are compiled by the adjusters who pay out the insurance claims. The rear bumper damage is not what created the carfax if it has not been fixed or I am missing something. So there might be another accident the bumper rashs do not point to a real careful driver.
\
Owner could have filed an insurance claim, kept the money and did not do the repairs. This is most likely what happened.
Old 09-27-16, 12:32 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Agree on both posts.
Old 09-29-16, 09:45 PM
OsideTurbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Has anyone tried to sell a car using CL classifieds? Any success?
I've sold 3 cars and 1 motorcycle through CL classifieds. I've also bought two cars through CL, including my LS430.

It is a great service. I can't imagine using any other type of classified listing these days. Ebay is an option, but much more of a hassle since you have to deal with buyers from all over the world - CL is mostly local. Do people even use newspapers anymore? I haven't looked at newspaper classifieds in over a decade. In fact, I have been using CL for so many years, that my initial response to OP's question was "How else do you sell a car?" (Seriously, those of you who don't use CL or ebay, what do you use?)

There are some scammers out there, but that is usually more of a concern for buyers than sellers. Sellers only need to be sure payment is good. Learn how to transact safely and CL is very simple. (Don't sign title over to buyer until you have received full payment. Take cash - refuse checks.)
Old 09-30-16, 06:42 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OsideTurbo
In fact, I have been using CL for so many years, that my initial response to OP's question was "How else do you sell a car?" (Seriously, those of you who don't use CL or ebay, what do you use?)
There are many, many others > Craigslist is widely used (for both local and national sales of autos), dedicated auto-only websites like autotrader, cargurus, and carsdirect are the big ones that are much more widely known where both dealers and private sellers offer. Nothing against CL, but it's a much smaller market viewing and selling on CL auto sales listings.
Old 09-30-16, 12:57 PM
OsideTurbo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tom57
There are many, many others > Craigslist is widely used (for both local and national sales of autos), dedicated auto-only websites like autotrader, cargurus, and carsdirect are the big ones that are much more widely known where both dealers and private sellers offer. Nothing against CL, but it's a much smaller market viewing and selling on CL auto sales listings.
I've tried autotrader and carsdirect (for buying, but not for selling) and I gave up using them because I had such a hard time finding private sellers. In my experience, 90% those sites' listings are from small dealerships rather than private parties.

I see what you are saying about CL having a smaller market - but that is somewhat of the point: CL is for local classifieds. It also depends on your market. If you live in a sparsely populated area, it may not be as productive. You probably won't find many listings for what you are seeking on CL if you live in Montana or Wyoming. However, if you live in a large market like me (So. Calif.) you will be able to find what you are looking for. For example, I just did a search on CL for LS430s and there are currently 58 listings for LS 430s within 100 miles of my house, 39 of which are by private sellers.
Old 10-03-16, 06:53 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OsideTurbo
I've tried autotrader and carsdirect (for buying, but not for selling) and I gave up using them because I had such a hard time finding private sellers. In my experience, 90% those sites' listings are from small dealerships rather than private parties.

I see what you are saying about CL having a smaller market - but that is somewhat of the point: CL is for local classifieds. It also depends on your market. If you live in a sparsely populated area, it may not be as productive. You probably won't find many listings for what you are seeking on CL if you live in Montana or Wyoming. However, if you live in a large market like me (So. Calif.) you will be able to find what you are looking for. For example, I just did a search on CL for LS430s and there are currently 58 listings for LS 430s within 100 miles of my house, 39 of which are by private sellers.
What are you referring to in your posts with the acronym "CL?" I understood your original post to mean Club Lexus classifieds. On this forum, "CL" means Club Lexus.

Many Lexus, Mercedes and domestic manufacturer dealerships list pre-owned cars on autotrader and other online websites, where I found 3 of my 4 LS's. What I don't like about Craigslist is that it is limited to private party sales only.

Last edited by Tom57; 10-03-16 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-03-16, 10:21 AM
OsideTurbo
Rookie

What are you referring to in your posts with the acronym "CL?" I understood your original post to mean Club Lexus classifieds. On this forum, "CL" means Club Lexus.

What I don't like about Craigslist is that it is limited to private party sales only.
I meant Craigslist - Sorry for the confusion, everybody.

Actually, Craigslist allows ads to be placed by private parties and dealers. When you search, you can specify whether results are returned from private parties or dealers, or both (default is both).
Old 10-03-16, 11:06 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Right, but I haven't seen dealers typically or widely using Craigslist. Being in SoCal, you are in a highly unique (favorable) market situation that arguably is not duplicated anywhere else in the U.S.

I prefer to buy my LS's pre-owned from Lexus, Mercedes or other luxury foreign dealer, or possibly a name brand domestic dealer. Many luxury car 1st owners trade their cars in wherever they are buying new. High-end dealers typically don't re-sell an older trade-in on their lot unless it meets their inspection standards (instead they'll wholesale trade-ins at auction). I know that I pay a little more at a dealer, but I also know I'm getting a well-maintained cream puff. I have negotiated a 90-day warranty as a "throw-in" for peace of mind, rather than buying "As Is" in a private sale. This is not to say that you can't get a great LS on Craigslist. But I'd be very reluctant/extra cautious before I would fly across country (as I've done 3 times) to buy a LS in a private sale.
Old 10-03-16, 02:09 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

When searching you can filter private owner only on Auto Trader and Craigslist.
Old 10-04-16, 07:39 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I would be very reluctant to fly to buy period but if ya line things up with no questions left unanswered with huge levels of accountability great. My first part time Palm Springs 2004 LS (premium 2004 55k 17,500$ )I bought in 2008 was from a tiny dealer who got it at the auction I drove 2 hours to Chicago glove box full of receipts owner said it never saw snow(he also said I got it cheaper than the buyout on the lease or he would have kept it) Needed nothing. It felt right and came with a bit of the drivetrain warrantee so I was secure. Those are gone now.

The second one I got from a small dealer 1/2 hour away texas car part time and I called the previouse owner who wanted to keep it but traded it on a truck the small lot got it from a Ford dealer. No warrantee but I took it for the day had it checked out at Lexus and been wonderful. I was willing to walk over a 100 bucks. I have walked often though more than I want to admit but man hate to have a car I do not want. Drove 3 hours to look at a" good deal " Custom Luxury, turned out the guys grandaughters initials carved into the back seat leather. Big bold letters Debbie, guy owned a rock quarry think looked like it had been through years of a sandstorm in and out. I called the service guy and I bet he did not lie as the service was regular but alot can happen in 5k miles in between oil changes. Llittle thing like the smartkey did not work was smashed, thing pulled there was a light on the dash all stuff service guy might of not seen last visit.(but then again he had a few cars think he is gonna tell ya the car is poop) I was screaming at these hillbillies as i slammed the door in front of customers at this large dealer outlot in the boonies. Pictures where taken after a rainstorm= grainy, but costly lesson thought it was a good deal ended up being a good deal of a drive.

Problem with private owners is they are biased and think their car is a creampuff either way and might even be upside down. The dealers know cars see the lemons and creampuffs. They aren't about to face someone after a barage of pictures and detailed inspection that is less than described and they know I mean business when I talk cars.

You have to due your due diligence if there are any questions it does not feel right ya walk. Watch out for rainy grainy pictures p, but you have the luxury theyare driven by a unique Lexus group.
Old 10-05-16, 11:06 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I meant Club Lexus. I've posted my Gold '01 Base (tan interior) for 8,500 but no response. I just posted on Craig's and have a couple of flaky offers. I'm going to try Autotrader. Sacramento area car dealers go to Cargurus and I've seen some very nice 430's. I bought my '04 this way from a higher end dealer. It was kind of fun to see a bunch of sales people and mechanics standing around it and admiring (they'd just brought it onto the lot). Yes, I paid more but had the 5 day trial. Meant I could have my mechanic do a full check which is nice. At least in this area, the better examples seem to be dealer trade ins.
Old 10-05-16, 06:16 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I go on autotrader and wait. Seems like someone thinks its a good value and ya prove em right when ya "sell it" have a fist full of records, everything adds up people believe ya 20 pictures if front of a ncie house. I had a 09 Camry hybrid I bought when they where driving thru walls for wholesale. Guy on auto trader saw it bought it took 5-6 weeks he was the only caller, saw one at the dealer mine was a steel bargained little. Lost little when run away car fiasco toned down. Its a different market with no warranty FSBO, guess ya have to lower the price as needed bi monthly but trade in at auction prices can be brutal in this category.. My last LS with 2004 with 200k miles bounced from sales place to sales place for 3 years I kept following it on autotrader and saw it at a stop sign once in the ghetto.
Old 10-05-16, 06:18 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I park in front of doctors house's for pictures.
Old 10-05-16, 11:54 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I park in front of doctors house's for pictures.
Upscale settings (nice house, near golf course, SF bay in the background, etc) and good pictures w/ lots of detail help sell the car. People seem to like Carfax reports on a private sale. Any 430 shown in a lousy setting (by a warehouse, dirty parking lot) or offered by a low rent dealer isn't worth looking at. Lexus dealer (or other higher end dealer) offerings are detailed and have pro quality pictures. One recent ad showed the car on a lit pedestal. Many Craig's List private sellers have completely unrealistic prices.
Old 10-06-16, 12:03 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Right, but I haven't seen dealers typically or widely using Craigslist. Being in SoCal, you are in a highly unique (favorable) market situation that arguably is not duplicated anywhere else in the U.S.

I prefer to buy my LS's pre-owned from Lexus, Mercedes or other luxury foreign dealer, or possibly a name brand domestic dealer. Many luxury car 1st owners trade their cars in wherever they are buying new. High-end dealers typically don't re-sell an older trade-in on their lot unless it meets their inspection standards (instead they'll wholesale trade-ins at auction). I know that I pay a little more at a dealer, but I also know I'm getting a well-maintained cream puff. I have negotiated a 90-day warranty as a "throw-in" for peace of mind, rather than buying "As Is" in a private sale. This is not to say that you can't get a great LS on Craigslist. But I'd be very reluctant/extra cautious before I would fly across country (as I've done 3 times) to buy a LS in a private sale.
Completely agree on buying from a high end dealer. The Infiniti dealer I bought my '04 from let me have the car for 5 days w/ 100% no questions asked refund policy. I've bought cars and trucks for years from owners. However for a 430, many of the private sales seem to be high mileage, unrealistic price, poor maintenance or multiple owners w/ incomplete (or no) service history.

Quick Reply: Briarwood pearl on saddle.