LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Professional headlight restoration with imperfections

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 12:16 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Professional headlight restoration with imperfections

I just finished having my headlights restored by a professional headlight restoration company. I have used this company before. I inspected the headlights today in the direct sunlight. Yes, the clarity has improved 95% and from a distance or without direct sunlight they look great. However, in sunlight and very close inspection, I see what appears to be sporadic streak hazing in patches at different parts of the headlights. While most areas are absolutely perfect others has this hazing in what appears to be semi circle patches,( I don't have a better way to describe them) After doing some research on headlight forums, the info I'm getting is that this might be the hazing from the sanding marks left under the clear coat that was applied after sanding with what appeared to be 3 types of sandpaper. Anyone else experience this and am I being too particular? Should I have the job redone? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 09-08-16 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 12:48 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was a professional who left evidence of their handiwork I would absolutely speak to them on correcting their mistake.

There is also a possibility however that the blemishes are on the inside of the lense. I did my own and spent a long long time on the final stages making sure I polished everything out of that sucker, and I did observe some "weirdness" on the inside of the lense that I only noticed when the lights are on. Conclusion? No way thats on the outside I polished it to no end! It must be on the inside (I hope).
Old 09-08-16, 01:26 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Brandicus
If it was a professional who left evidence of their handiwork I would absolutely speak to them on correcting their mistake.

There is also a possibility however that the blemishes are on the inside of the lense. I did my own and spent a long long time on the final stages making sure I polished everything out of that sucker, and I did observe some "weirdness" on the inside of the lense that I only noticed when the lights are on. Conclusion? No way thats on the outside I polished it to no end! It must be on the inside (I hope).
This guy sanded the "****" out of the headlights and really put alot of elbow grease into it. The only thing I had not mentioned in my first post is that the car after being sprayed with clear has not really been in the direct sunlight for more than a few hours now. I brought it right into the garage (15 minutes after being sprayed with clear) to avoid any possible rain and left it overnight. I'll probably make a better determination after a day or two in the sun. I know it does need some time to cure. It's amazing how I can't see any of these marks in the shade or even with the headlights on!
Old 09-08-16, 02:05 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Wait until its fully cured, but it's not a good sign if you're seeing that already. Maybe post some pictures?

I would have him redo it without question if you're unhappy, especially since you really paid top dollar to have him do it.

FWIW, when I did mine it had DEEP scratches and potmarks and the clear coat sealer filled them in to where most casual observers would think it had new headlights.

Old 09-09-16, 12:08 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
Wait until its fully cured, but it's not a good sign if you're seeing that already. Maybe post some pictures?

I would have him redo it without question if you're unhappy, especially since you really paid top dollar to have him do it.

FWIW, when I did mine it had DEEP scratches and potmarks and the clear coat sealer filled them in to where most casual observers would think it had new headlights.
. Update: First let me say that I am a perfectionist with all my cars. Spoke with owner about my concerns and he gave me some kind of bogus response to the affect that those imperfections go with the job. I told him I wasn't pleased and he became somewhat abrupt and that he would call me at the beginning of the week and come and "look at" it. I reiterated that I will be expecting your call on Monday right? He said yes and quickly hung up. Clearly this guy does not want to stand behind his work. Unfortunately this is one of the very rare occasions I paid by check so I'm screwed there. The job needs to be redone and I don't think this guy will cooperate. A call to the better business bureau? I'll wait to see what happens next week but I'm not optimistic.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 09-09-16 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 01:13 PM
BradTank
Racer

It's tough to know the line between being someone being realistic or a perfectionist, but you said you used him before and you were happy, so to me that says you're not setting the bar too high.

If you can see circular patterns, that seems to indicate he didn't properly finish it with the clear coat and that it came from his sanding on the outside of the lens. Not some sort of blemish on the inside. Could you see that pattern before he did the job?

I will say though, you can't expect an optically perfect lens when these are restored, but it usually makes enough of a dramatic improvement that it's worthwhile to do.
Old 09-09-16, 02:16 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are seeing circular patterns its possible he used a orbital buffer and left it on one spot to long and "burned" swirls into it as happens with paint, i would make him stand by his work if he keeps ducking you just put his business on blast online.

I am also a perfectionist but if you are paying someone to do something i expect it to be done correctly and flawlessly the first time or if they make a mistake offer to fix it free of charge, i know thats what i do with my detailing business, i **** up and miss something or brake something i fix it its just good business.
Old 09-09-16, 03:07 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jks24
If you are seeing circular patterns its possible he used a orbital buffer and left it on one spot to long and "burned" swirls into it as happens with paint, i would make him stand by his work if he keeps ducking you just put his business on blast online.

I am also a perfectionist but if you are paying someone to do something i expect it to be done correctly and flawlessly the first time or if they make a mistake offer to fix it free of charge, i know thats what i do with my detailing business, i **** up and miss something or brake something i fix it its just good business.
. This is exactly how I think. If he would have told me he would come out and make me happy instead of making excuses I would have definitely recommended him in the future ( if the problem was resolved). When a vendor does not care about the quality of their work or becomes jaded and it shows I can only reciprocate and let the vendor know I will not only never recommend but may go foward to file a complaint. Don't take my money if you are not trying to do your best or make good to try again? If none of these give me a complete refund and I'll go elsewhere .

Last edited by Bocatrip; 09-09-16 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 03:39 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

It's tough to know the line between being someone being realistic or a perfectionist, but you said you used him before and you were happy, so to me that says you're not setting the bar too high.

If you can see circular patterns, that seems to indicate he didn't properly finish it with the clear coat and that it came from his sanding on the outside of the lens. Not some sort of blemish on the inside. Could you see that pattern before he did the job?

I will say though, you can't expect an optically perfect lens when these are restored, but it usually makes enough of a dramatic improvement that it's worthwhile to do.
"You can't expect an optically perfect lens when these are restored, but it usually makes enough of a dramatic improvement that it's worthwhile to do" I do agree with this last quote. The results from the job are certainly an improvement form what I had before. Regardless, I will still pursue the redo and see how it goes.
Old 09-09-16, 04:04 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I just finished having my headlights restored by a professional headlight restoration company. I have used this company before. I inspected the headlights today in the direct sunlight. Yes, the clarity has improved 95% and from a distance or without direct sunlight they look great. However, in sunlight and very close inspection, I see what appears to be sporadic streak hazing in patches at different parts of the headlights. While most areas are absolutely perfect others has this hazing in what appears to be semi circle patches,( I don't have a better way to describe them) After doing some research on headlight forums, the info I'm getting is that this might be the hazing from the sanding marks left under the clear coat that was applied after sanding with what appeared to be 3 types of sandpaper. Anyone else experience this and am I being too particular? Should I have the job redone? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
There are a lot of people who think they are headlight restoration experts.

From what you have described I would obtain an estimate for replacement headlamp assemblies and present to your restoration company with a demand letter.

For everyone else;

A link to my posting

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/828856-headlamp-restoration.html

Sylvania offers a high end do it yourself multi-step headlight restoration kit.

The kit offers a solution which first removes the oxidized UV coating WITHOUT applying a mechanical grinding wheel to the lens (!!)

Never use a mechanical device on plastic headlamps...it is not necessary.

The Sylvania kit provides several grades of wet-sanding paper and a final durable .UV coat.

A lot of crap restoration kits out there...and the auto parts store only wants to sell you what they have on the shelf.... DON'T listen to them...

Harder to find the Sylvania kit but well worth it

About $20 -25
Old 09-10-16, 07:51 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by YODAONE
There are a lot of people who think they are headlight restoration experts.

From what you have described I would obtain an estimate for replacement headlamp assemblies and present to your restoration company with a demand letter.

For everyone else;

A link to my posting

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...storation.html

Sylvania offers a high end do it yourself multi-step headlight restoration kit.

The kit offers a solution which first removes the oxidized UV coating WITHOUT applying a mechanical grinding wheel to the lens (!!)

Never use a mechanical device on plastic headlamps...it is not necessary.

The Sylvania kit provides several grades of wet-sanding paper and a final durable .UV coat.

A lot of crap restoration kits out there...and the auto parts store only wants to sell you what they have on the shelf.... DON'T listen to them...

Harder to find the Sylvania kit but well worth it

About $20 -25

Another big vote for the Sylvania kit, I've used on a few cars now. I've tried other plastic polishes and they just didn't do much.
I really think the key is the final clear coat sealer that comes with it. It fills in the imperfections. Might also be able to conceal some burned in swirl marks.

Old 09-10-16, 08:33 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Another big vote for the Sylvania kit, I've used on a few cars now. I've tried other plastic polishes and they just didn't do much.
I really think the key is the final clear coat sealer that comes with it. It fills in the imperfections. Might also be able to conceal some burned in swirl marks.
. The swirl marks need to be either resanded or polished out. My job needs to be redone. Unfortunately this time the clear needs to be removed which is that much more labor intensive. If the owner refuses I want a full refund or will be filing a complaint with BBB.
Old 09-10-16, 05:22 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
. The swirl marks need to be either resanded or polished out. My job needs to be redone. Unfortunately this time the clear needs to be removed which is that much more labor intensive. If the owner refuses I want a full refund or will be filing a complaint with BBB.
Swirl marks suggest damaged lenses...beyond the ability of the new UV coating to compensate.

If you let him, the headlight artist is probably going to attempt to remove the new UV clear coat with a mechanical device because they do not have the proper coating removal solution.....
If this had been done correctly in the first place, by hand, then no unnecessary moval of material....

If someone cannot get it right the first time, what assurances do you have they will care the second time...when they are not getting paid to redo substandard work??

Cut your losses and do it yourself with the Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit or have someone else help you using the Sylvania kit.

Post before and after images.
Old 09-10-16, 05:57 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Swirl marks suggest damaged lenses...beyond the ability of the new UV coating to compensate.

If you let him, the headlight artist is probably going to attempt to remove the new UV clear coat with a mechanical device because they do not have the proper coating removal solution.....
If this had been done correctly in the first place, by hand, then no unnecessary moval of material....

If someone cannot get it right the first time, what assurances do you have they will care the second time...when they are not getting paid to redo substandard work??

Cut your losses and do it yourself with the Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit or have someone else help you using the Sylvania kit.

Post before and after images.
They want to continue to have a repeat customers and have more if they do a good job. I ****ed up a customers Porsche by accidentally forgetting to do the bottom of the door jam and it looked like *** he called talked to me about it i said ime sorry i messed up. I went back fixed the problem and gave him half off on his next detail, he still uses me and got me more business by telling his friends at work.

If you stand by your work admit your human and f-ed up and fix your mistake there shouldn't be a problem just dont bull**** and say you know how to do something them cause damage to someone else's property thats completely different then making a mistake. Just my opinion.
Old 09-11-16, 08:30 PM
R33SKYLINE
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is what I did on mine. Maybe you can just give it a try yourself. Its not hard at all and the outcome is worth it.
Headlights repair. You need wet/dry sand paper to start (800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit.), 2 spray bottles one with a little dish detergent and one with just plain water. Tape around the headlight (painters tape), and using the dish detergent spray bottle, spray the 800 grit sandpaper and headlight, begin sanding. Sand in a vertical motion and you will see this milky residue coming off the headlight. You want to sanding and spraying dish detergent water to keep the area wet. When you feel like all the yellowish residue is off, spray regular water on the headlight, and use a 100% terry cloth to wipe away the area. The headlight should look very dull and faded. If the headlight still needs work continue with 800. Next bring out the 1000 grit and do the same process but this time if you started horizontally then go vertically, each sand paper change switching to back and fourth. When sanding with 1000, 1500 and 2000 you will noticed the surface becomes really smooth. Ones that occurs you can move to the next sand paper size. When you are finished wipe the headlight dry and again the headlight will look super foggy. Take out the polish that you have ( I used Chemical Guys V36 cutting polish and V38 final polish, with a Porter Cable 7424 Orbital buffer using two different pads (Orange and Black). Use the V36 or whatever cutting polish you have (Meguairs and mothers will work fine), and start polishing (either hand or buffer. Once that is done you will notice the headlight will look brand new. Wipe away the rest when done with a 100% terry cloth. Next use your V38 or Final Polish, and do the same thing. (both of these do not need to be any particular direction on both these steps I use a circular motion on my orbital buffer. When complete wipe away the access once again an d get out your wax. I used Meguiars Gold Class Carnuba Plus Premium Wax Paste. Carnuba is the best for UV rays and the only kind I use. A really nice one to get by Chemical Guys is called Butter Wet Wax, but mine doesnt come in until Monday. Wipe off the headlight using a 100% terry cloth, and inspect your work. You should see a brand new headlight! Sorry I know this is long but that was the steps to take for this from start to completion. Took me roughly 1.5 hours for one headlight lol.
If you wanted to go one more step at the end off all of this dont use wax and you can either buy 2K Clear Coat in a Aerosol can or take them to a paint shop and have them clear coat the headlights. They will stay clear for as long as you have that vehicle.

The following 2 users liked this post by R33SKYLINE:
coug66 (05-17-17), dmandrsn (03-08-18)

Quick Reply: Professional headlight restoration with imperfections