LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Best place to fix Nav unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 06:19 PM
LSxtacy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to fix Nav unit

Looks like mine is on the way out, saw a post somewhere where someone had a place that fixes these. Anyone know?

Thanks
Old 09-13-16, 08:44 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

What year LS?
Old 09-14-16, 07:18 AM
LSxtacy
Driver School Candidate

Mine is a 2004
Old 09-14-16, 09:06 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

You may want to consider replacing the Nav player. See >
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3...-dvd-disk.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3...v-upgrade.html
Old 09-14-16, 09:37 AM
LSxtacy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tom57
Maybe my thread title is a little mis-leading. I probably should have said Head Unit.

Here is my problem,

Checked out the car on a Monday, car only had 68K miles on it, everything was great with the exception of what I thought were blown speakers. Part of the deal was for the dealer to replace the battery and pick it up the next day. Got the car home drove it for a while and the Multi Function Display started displaying these warnings. Thought that when the replaced the battery maybe they shorted something. I checked the service records and at some point the back up camera was replaced.

1 External System Not Connected
2 Check the connection of the air conditioner
3 Check the system.
4 audio off.

This is an intermittent problem, sometimes everything will work upon start up sometimes it will just quit and then come back. When it's working, the NAV, Climate and audio all seem to function properly. Then, poof, it goes away along with the clock above the unit.The AC still works but it stays on all the time. I've checked all of the fuses and they seem good.

I found a clip on YouTube on how to get the diagnostics through the head unit and run a system check when the HU is working.

At first everything checked out but it did say to check the HU, also says this code 48B NCON and another something NCON which I assume means not connected.

Can't find these codes referenced anywhere.

After researching here, I've come to these possible issues:

1 Loose connection somewhere, I plan to pull the head unit out and check all of the connections, some posts say that there is a fuse on the back side of the head unit itself.
2 The infamous ML amp issue, ill do the same as above. I'd hate to replace it if its not bad.
3 The Head Unit is bad. ( At least this is what the dealer told me yesterday and at a cost of $1800 for a re-manufactured unit, I said I'd have to think about it.)

Pretty frustrating issue, I don't mind replacing speakers but the head unit is driving me crazy.

I'm pretty sure that the actual NAV is ok.

Anyway, that's what is going on.

Oh, and I don't think that the dealer is going to help me out in any way either, I know I bought the car as is but come on, bring it back two days later with a $2K repair job. Their service dept pulled a fast one on me WTF?

Thanks.

Last edited by LSxtacy; 09-14-16 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-14-16, 10:21 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

If the dealer is saying it's the head unit and they will be backing it up after repair, I would search that area and see if you could get the parts on your own and get it done cheaper. Of course the dealer could also be saying it's the head unit and repair something else. (simpler and cheaper) I've always worried about my Nav going and so far so good (keeping my fingers crossed). Good luck.
Old 09-14-16, 10:31 AM
LSxtacy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
If the dealer is saying it's the head unit and they will be backing it up after repair, I would search that area and see if you could get the parts on your own and get it done cheaper. Of course the dealer could also be saying it's the head unit and repair something else. (simpler and cheaper) I've always worried about my Nav going and so far so good (keeping my fingers crossed). Good luck.
Yeah, I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from them at all. I know that all they did was read codes and want to replace the whole unit they don't know how to fix it.
Old 09-14-16, 01:44 PM
LSxtacy
Driver School Candidate

For anyone following, I found this guy in Indiana who is 95% confident he can fix it for $299 with a two day turn around time.

http://www.autobeyours.com/Ebay%20MFD%20listing.htm
Old 09-14-16, 02:39 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LSxtacy
Oh, and I don't think that the dealer is going to help me out in any way either, I know I bought the car as is but come on, bring it back two days later with a $2K repair job. Their service dept pulled a fast one on me WTF?

Thanks.

Most states have pretty tough laws on dealerships and return policies, so if it's within a few days, I would wager many will by law either have to take the car back and give a refund or make the repair out of their own pocket.

I think my state has something like a 10 day return policy.
Old 09-14-16, 04:34 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Just bought an '04 w/ NAV and have the same concerns. My mechanic says the NAV can fry (often the HD) and you'll still have access to controls (AC audio, etc). Hope that's right. Park an iPhone on the screen as needed and do directions that way. If the actual display goes (and it probably will at some point), supposedly an easy fix. Lots of shops here. Pure guess is 200-300 plus remove/install. If access to controls goes, then it's probably a different story. Anyone been thru this stuff?
Old 09-15-16, 06:00 AM
LSxtacy
Driver School Candidate

Not too concerned about the nav as I am for the climate controls, Id replace the whole damn thing with aftermarket if it wasn't for that.