LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

question on doing brakes and tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-16, 10:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default question on doing brakes and tires

Hello, please move this post if there is a technical forum (didn't see it?). I have seen the threads which show the jacking points near the oil pan and rear diff.....would a normal low profile Harbor Freight jack have the reach to get there? I haven't tried it but I am doubtful. I also don't see any channel so to speak, running along the sides, everything seems covered up....thx.

(I've never taken snows/rims to have them mounted on vehicles, always DIY'd....hope this is the same!)

sorry pic is hard to read, but I actually did not see these channels. They would be like my Maxima, only with that I always jack on the suspension....

edit 2: I'll look when I get home, very curious where the frame rails or pinch welds are....but on my wife's SUV, I alo just jack up on the suspension, not the rails...would truly prefer to lift one wheel at a time, not two...one would think that chocking the front wheels on a RWD car would suffice when lifting the two rear wheels, but I wouldn't prefer it...

edit 3: my buddy said doesn't matter what car, floor jack should be able to lift the car, the angle of the jack handle will be limited. I didn't pull the jack out after work, instead I updated the nav to 2016 (disc that came out said 2005) and discovered the trunk looks never used as far as the tools and spare tire. There's a 18" 245 SP5000 and full sized rim. I suppose it's over 6 years old and imho likely to be flat, but the rim is quite expensive to get on eBay....
have to assume I can lift this car, maybe not as I would like..

Name:  jack%20pt_zpsbt1wwgua.jpg
Views: 2232
Size:  23.9 KB

Last edited by Johnhav430; 10-03-16 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 05:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Red face

Ok I've found the areas that the manual specifies. The rear is a little more obvious than the front. So I guess it's the hockey puck with a slit method if using a floor jack, because the way I see it is when one uses a scissor jack like that, technically, the contact is on the rail or pinch weld, it's not on what surrounds it. With all that plastic it's my hope nothing gets crushed. But a better question is if a shop would take the time to put adapters on when lifting the vehicle. My hunch is 9/10 the answer is no....maybe I do the rear diff and front subframe spot, and jack stands....just me, I don't like lifting an entire side at a time, but I have done another car of ours which is RWD and had the back up....just don't feel too comfortable even with chocks...
Old 10-05-16, 03:31 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What in the world are you going on about? You are fretting the small things too much. The front subframe and rear diff jack points are perfect. I jack up, place stands on the pinch welds and do my wheel swap in less than 15 mins. I have also short cut my way by not using stands at all - jack up, swap wheels and move to other side. I would not recommend this as it not SAFE.
Old 10-05-16, 03:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
What in the world are you going on about? You are fretting the small things too much. The front subframe and rear diff jack points are perfect. I jack up, place stands on the pinch welds and do my wheel swap in less than 15 mins. I have also short cut my way by not using stands at all - jack up, swap wheels and move to other side. I would not recommend this as it not SAFE.
Now why in the world would you take the time to mention that you cut corners, and that it is unsafe? imho when you cut corners you just do it and not say anything, and work in a car dealership...
Old 10-05-16, 10:13 AM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the guy above what are you going on about find a part of the frame that's solid and jack the car up. It sounds like you are unsure or do not know what you are doing or are uncomfortable doing it so if that's the case pay some one else if you do not feel confident doing it.

You clearly have never gone to the track and had to half *** something to keep the car going.

Last edited by Jks24; 10-05-16 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-05-16, 10:48 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You peole get off of Johnhav430 case. It's not so simple to find the right jack point up front.

I have a low 3 ton jack that I position on the frame between the plastic shroud and the oil pan. I would not use jack stands on the door frame areas of the car.
Attached Thumbnails question on doing brakes and tires-jack_points_lexus_ls430.png  
Old 10-05-16, 10:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tradosauru
You peole get off of Johnhav430 case. It's not so simple to find the right jack point up front.

I have a low 3 ton jack that I position on the frame between the plastic shroud and the oil pan. I would not use jack stands on the door frame areas of the car.
Thanks, my main concern is really not damaging the vehicle by lifting on plastic. I also have a low pro 3 ton which should do the trick.

My BMW has jack pads which facilitate jacking one position at a time--even when I rebuilt the DSC hydro and did the ABL bleed, I preferred one at a time. Some folks can get the entire vehicle on 4 jack stands at home---I don't feel comfortable doing that.

That was a weird comment about the track, I've driven 991's, incl a GTS as recently as this summer

Man, I just got this car on Sat. and already building an ignore list hahahaha
Old 10-05-16, 07:10 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Now why in the world would you take the time to mention that you cut corners, and that it is unsafe? imho when you cut corners you just do it and not say anything, and work in a car dealership...
Because you can lift via the jack points on subframe and differential and easily swap wheels over. Would I work under the car using the same method? Heck no. Not even if all I wanted to do was take a peek at something. Just unsafe given a hydraulic jack has a failure mode.

Originally Posted by tradosauru
I did not mean disrespect. I just wondered what the worrying issue was. I always use jack stands on the 4 corners when doing work for longer periods of time, it's easier for me to scoot around on the dolley I am lying on.

Here's a jackstand I personally use and very much like due to the protective puck and the tri-angular leg stand.

https://amzn.com/B0019JVIPM
Old 10-05-16, 08:26 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Think ya gotta haul out a tape line and cross reference the jack stand height. Then get an oil change have the fella, tech, show ya the sound areas for the jack. I think it a descript point on each wheel by the stampin on the rockers. Sorry If I missed it was long reading. .