LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Already back in a LS430 after just 2 months!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-16, 08:50 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I treat my BMW like a Corvette, meaning if it rains, I think twice if I should take it out lol

I had been thinking if only my beater (1998 Nissan) can go 2 more years, I'll get a 2 y.o. M3. Well, it didn't, so I decided to get the LS430 to replace the Nissan. I like the serious queues I feel my 335i has, like oil cooler, two turbos, true dual exhaust, forged internals. It too was overbuilt, that stopped after 2010 (why did they put a true dual on the car, piece by piece $6,300 list--this c
an all be achieved by using software, and an exhaust costing 1/4 the amount--that's how it is done 2014+).

When I got to drive all the new Porsches last summer, including the 991 GTS, I said out loud, if a person can't own something like this, there's no reason to be alive. I told a colleague this in Atlanta, who has a M5. He laughed, and said I might as well just kill myself hahahahaha

We do love our cars. But in a matter of only 2 weeks, I have a real sense of appreciation of the LS brotherhood!! Cheers!
I personally think the 335 is a great vehicle. If I could get a warranty on a 08 N54, I would probably trade the Corvette for one. The problem I find is that the reliability is not very good when you start to modify them. I drove one with a tune, exhaust, IC, and E85 and it was a beast. That car would destroy most Corvettes on the road and it is very comfortable.
Old 10-17-16, 10:07 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
This why I want a 2013 and up. These are the years Lexus got it right. Took them a while but they finally did it. Also, those insanely high rebuild cost for older 460's are from people who drop their cars off at the dealer and get raped. You can get it done - parts and labor for about $1400 for control arms via independent shops. That is still expensive and disappointing.

There are some other issues early 460's have too with engine hesitation due to valve noise triggering the knock sensors as well as brake actuators and ML amp failures. But at least Lexus extended the warranty for the actuators. They are great cars but the early models are definitely not as reliable as the 430.
Lex is still installing ML? I peeked into the 4th generation area. Saw many posts about repair problems on relatively new cars.
Old 10-18-16, 08:50 AM
MR ED
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
lexusdog, I've never driven nor ridden in a Corvette of any year. Can you help me understand something, please? When I see Corvettes/Porsches/Ferraris on the road, they're typically the slow ones in traffic despite the potential speed and power beneath their hoods. Is the Corvette difficult to drive? Why do other sports cars tend to drive so slowly? Is it the driver? I notice the Corvette is very low and wide. From a driver's position, does the Corvette make it difficult to gauge the lane markings, thus why owners drive it more cautiously?
I believe I might be qualified to answer this as I had a CTS-V, same powerplant as a C5z06. I used to drive mine slow most of the time because I wanted to stay low-key, the gas prices and it was very easy to double or even triple the speed limit and I like remaining insured. It was very fun to drive spiritedly but would be so much more louder and attract more attention when I was.
Old 10-18-16, 09:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusdog
I think it has to do with the fact that most of the Corvette owners in my area (Florida) are older and just like the car for the look and for Sunday drives. I drive my Corvette fairly hard and it holds up just fine. It handles great and the acceleration can't be beat. On long trips I can get close to 28mpg with it which is an added bonus. It is very wide and the hood sometimes feels like you're driving a boat, but its not too difficult to gauge the lanes. I used my Corvette as a daily driver for a few months and it was fairly brutal getting in and out of all the time. The Corvette is a great car for the money but it is a weekend and pleasure car only. For an everyday driver, the LS430 is the best bang for the buck.
I think that when you have a very capable vehicle, there is no need to show it. Also, some folks just like what they've got and likely are aware. For example, I wanted 4 piston/2 piston fixed calipers--the LS has them (so now I'll say 6 in the front, 4 in the rear ). I would like rear tires at least 275's, 315's even better--haven't had that yet. would like rotors 14" or larger in front, never had that. Would like rims 11" wide or more in the rear. etc. And if I had all these, would I drive fast? Probably not. My 335i is limited to 155 and I have not even come close, maybe 125, and that was ONE TIME.

I think the Corvette actually satisfies all of the things I mentioned above, it's a fantastic car and worth waiting for. True story, an executive retired from our office, and I said, hey Joe, you own a 911, right? Then I told him the story about how I felt when I drove them. He goes, keep at it, it took me 30 years to get mine.....