LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Does your LS " engine brake " ( down shift ) on a down hill grade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 02:42 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
I have asked this question before and the replies I got were from people that didnt understand the question. So to be clear...My car when driving on a down hill grade will down shift itself slowing the car down from a sort of run away coasting feel. There are very few times when I like this feature...it is good for very long steep mountain hills but other then that I like my cars to coast freely. I have a 2004 LS430......I did get the software upgrade done on my car to prevent the low speed shifting issue that these cars are known for....the new software did solve that problem. But not only is my car downshifting on the down hill grade it also jumps my RPMS up substantially when it does this. Of course gas mileage suffers a bit when this occurs as well. The only way to keep her from downshifting is to keep the pedal down.....but who pushes the pedal down going down hill? Dont answer that

I guess I can have the dealer drop in a different software version.....not sure what else to do.....I am hoping this is just normal for our cars.
Mine just coasts downhill no engine braking at all. I hate it. I am convinced it is not meant to do this but i never got to the bottom of it. Still unresolved. Here is a thread i wrote about it a while ago. I replaced the engine ecu myself and still no engine braking. I want it to brake downhills becuase i can just coast at high speed downhills and have to ride the brakes all the time no matter what gear it says im in. Dangerous in my opinion.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ing-issue.html
Old 11-07-16, 06:14 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Huh.....ya I dont want mine to be wide open.....I agree ...without any assist the big heavy sedan would be tough to control on a steep down hill. My work truck is like that and I have warped rotors. Every time I visit this particular area with a massive downhill I have to pump the brakes the whole way down and there is no way I could actually come to a complete stop.......So you made me feel better about having engine braking.....I just wish it wasnt so extreme. Post back once u figure out the fix for yours
Old 11-10-16, 09:27 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

My 2002 UL w/laser cruise downshifts on a downhill if I tap the brakes or hold the brakes. It will continue to engine-brake until I tap the accelerator. If I go downhill and do not tap the brakes, the car will coast and gain speed.

This performs exactly as the engineers designed:

* To reduce both brake fade and brake wear on a long, steep hill, the Super ECT’s brain will tell it to kick-in engine braking to help the ventilated, extra-large, four-wheel disc brakes.

* Comparing the LS430 A650E to the LS400's transmission, the automatic downshift during downhill driving has been expanded to the 3rd and 4th gears to improve driveability

* A650E Road Condition Support Control: While driving downhill, because the transmission is upshifted when the throttle valve is almost completely closed, the transmission upshifted quickly even at low driving speeds, occasionally creating a condition in which it was difficult to apply the engine brake.

Therefore, in the road condition support control, the uphill or downhill driving conditions are assessed through the throttle opening angle, vehicle speed, etc. to achieve an optimal and constant driving force by restraining the transmission from upshifting to the 4th or 5th gear while driving uphill.

The transmission automatically downshifts to the 3rd or 4th gear so that an optimal engine brake can be achieved while driving downhill.

To prevent unnecessary shifting, this system assesses a winding road condition in accordance with the cornering conditions, in order to achieve optimal shift control at all times.

* Precaution for Dynamic Radar Cruise Control: When there is no vehicle detected ahead on steep downhill slopes, the preset speed will be easily exceeded because of inefficient engine braking. (In this case, automatic braking will not work.) If there is a vehicle detected ahead, the delay in deceleration timing could cause serious injury or death.
Old 11-10-16, 07:42 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for that educated response......I havent driven my car since I posted the thread but will be very interested to see if it engine brakes if I DONT touch the brakes......thanks for all the info
Old 11-24-19, 10:01 AM
Timster161
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey I have a 2002 lexus ls430 and mine downshifts from 5 to 4th going down a hill

Mine is a 2002 Lexus LS430 and when I go down a hill if shifts from 5th gear to 4th gear but once the hill is over it goes back into 5th is this normal I was just curious please help thank
Old 11-24-19, 10:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

It does, thought they all did. Very annoying.
Old 11-25-19, 06:04 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts

Mine is a facelift early 2004 and it does not downshift when going downhill unless you tap the brake, at which point it drops to 5th and stays there until it either levels out or ya hit the throttle.
If you don't force it to downshift, the car does gain speed down the hill, even with Cruise Control on.
I usually manually shift to Sport which drops it into 5th and prevents the car from gaining speed when coasting downhill.
If I need more engine braking (steeper hills) I drop it to 4th or lower.
One hill I drive occasionally requires the use of 2nd but then it is a 33% gradient (1-in-3).
Old 11-25-19, 12:43 PM
Thecar
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh interesting! I have a 2005. I am going up to the mountains in NC for Christmas, and I will be sure to look out for this on our way down after the holiday!
Old 11-25-19, 04:35 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Yep its true......if u dont hit your brake at all on the top of the hill she will coast pretty fast......if u accidentally tap the brake at the top of the hill during this experiment the car will engine brake the whole way
The following users liked this post:
aypues (11-25-19)
Old 11-26-19, 02:54 AM
Thecar
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

To those who actually want the car to automatically downshift on hills, why not just tip the shifter into a lower gear (or into "L" for the pre-facelift folks)?

You don't have to freely coast if you don't want to.