LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission Weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 04:40 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by SkeeterBo
Thanks for all of the replies. jrmckinley, I will swing by the Lexus dealer and have them do what they do. I will let everyone know how it goes.

​​​​​​​Thank you so much.
Hope it helps and is the right fix- let us know how it goes. Check out the last few days of posts on this forum- I think the thread was called something about "downhill downshifting" or something to that effect. The poster is from VA and has an '04 where he did the SW update and his car no longer "coasts" going down a hill- it downshifts (which is what it should do). Mine coasts downhill and then the second I hit the gas it struggles to find the gear and often goes straight to 1st. You could PM him to get more details and make sure it's the same issue-

I've thought about doing the update many times, but with 242k on my odometer, I watch what I spend on the car in "unnecessary" maintenance since I know I'll never see a penny of it back when I go to sell it. Plus I kinda like trying to out-smart the car and force it into a smooth shift after all these years battling it.
Old 11-03-16, 09:28 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Known issue on '04's (I have one). Computer software upgrade should fix it. I've gotten used to it on my car after 8 1/2 years of driving so it doesn't bother me as much (I live in a gated neighborhood which has a downhill entrance- so it happens almost all of the time). I just traded private messages with another member of the forum who did the SW upgrade- said it was $300 at Lexus.
Shop around. My indie did for 105.
Old 11-06-16, 08:02 PM
OsideTurbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
I think most of the people in here park as far away as possible from other cars. Can use the manual shift option to control gear choice.
This is also what I suggest OP tries. Put it in 2nd in the garage and it should stay there at that speed (3rd might even work the way the 2004 goes through its low gears so quickly - depends what you want to wear first: 2nd will engine-brake and wear the drivetrain, whereas 3rd will coast and wear your break pads). Put it back in 'D' when you are out of the garage.
Old 11-08-16, 11:20 AM
xhifer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Shop around. My indie did for 105.
I didn't know indie shops had the software to perform the shifting update.
Old 11-10-16, 08:06 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Ya that was me regarding the engine braking thread......I also did a thread regarding the software upgrade that I had done.

I got the software update to eliminate an issue that I was having. I would be driving slowly in my neighborhood and when I would come to a slow coasting turn the car would basically act like it was in neutral but when i applied the gas to come out of the turn the car would rev and then jump into gear. Note....this is a common known issue with our cars....mine is a 04 with 140k on it. I had the update done at the Lexus dealer it was about $300.......A little expensive for software....but the problem was solved.

Note......this is not what caused my car to engine brake while going down hills....I believe it has always done that.

To the OP.....I think the new software will solve your problem.....good luck