LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How to change motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-16, 04:46 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default How to change motor mounts

I thought this would be a good opportunity for those who have information and pictures to provide it here to help those who want to change the motor mounts themselves.

I did attempt it this weekend but decided to hire someone else to perform the job as I wasn't sure how to access the motor mount bracket bolts (4) and I my engine support bar wasn't working very well given the crazy location that the engine lift brackets are located.

The engine lift brackets are located on the opposite corner of the engine so trying to lift the engine evenly around the motor mount bolts was difficult. The lift brackets should have been located on equal and opposite sides.

I had the car up on ramps because I thought the only way to access the motor mount bracket bolts was from the bottom. However with the front of the car lifted I think it caused the motor mount support bolt not come out evenly.
Attached Thumbnails How to change motor mounts-motor_mount_engine_bar.jpg   How to change motor mounts-motor_mount_location_a.jpg   How to change motor mounts-motor_mount_engine_lift_bracket.jpg   How to change motor mounts-img_20161029_111435.jpg  

Last edited by tradosauru; 10-30-16 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-30-16, 06:32 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering if the motor mounts weren't designed to be R&R'd with the car on a lift. In fact, remove the hood and suspend your cherry picker or lifting brackets from the top of the lift. Then I'm guessing you could drop the car just a bit which would lift the engine or remove the load from the engine mounts making the R&R fairly easy. Just my guess.
Old 10-31-16, 05:59 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by fensterlip
I'm wondering if the motor mounts weren't designed to be R&R'd with the car on a lift. In fact, remove the hood and suspend your cherry picker or lifting brackets from the top of the lift. Then I'm guessing you could drop the car just a bit which would lift the engine or remove the load from the engine mounts making the R&R fairly easy. Just my guess.
I was thinking the same thing when you mentioned the engine hoist. I didn't like lifting from the oil pan and my thought was to use the engine support bar to hold the engine in place without supporting under the oil pan.

There was a gentleman on this list that said he changed his and I was hoping that he would tell us if he accessed the engine mount bracket bolts from the bottom or top.
Old 11-01-16, 10:14 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use an engine hoist to hoist the engine up as much as you can, then you can access all the engine mount bracket bolts from the bottom. You'll need a swivel socket adaptor and long socket extensions.
Old 11-03-16, 05:04 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by hyperopt
Use an engine hoist to hoist the engine up as much as you can, then you can access all the engine mount bracket bolts from the bottom. You'll need a swivel socket adaptor and long socket extensions.
I would think you would need to have your car up on jack stands at front and rear so car is level. No way you can crawl under car without a lift.
Old 11-03-16, 04:51 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tradosauru
I would think you would need to have your car up on jack stands at front and rear so car is level. No way you can crawl under car without a lift.
Ofcourse, one would need to elevate the car to get underneath. A ramp is good enough. Putting all 4 corners on jack stands are unsafe and not recommended.
Old 11-04-16, 08:35 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Ofcourse, one would need to elevate the car to get underneath. A ramp is good enough. Putting all 4 corners on jack stands are unsafe and not recommended.
Have you changed the motor mounts on the LS 430?

My concern with having the front of the car on ramps is that the motor mounts would come out at an angle and possible catch on the mount hole. I would think you would want to have the car on jack stands, front and back, and then raise the engine to evenly clear the motor mount holes.
Old 11-04-16, 11:59 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Have you changed the motor mounts on the LS 430?

My concern with having the front of the car on ramps is that the motor mounts would come out at an angle and possible catch on the mount hole. I would think you would want to have the car on jack stands, front and back, and then raise the engine to evenly clear the motor mount holes.
Yep!

Getting the motor mount out of the mounting hole isn't a problem. It's getting the motor mount with the mounting bracket as a unit off the car on the driver side is a problem.
Old 11-04-16, 12:51 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Yep!

Getting the motor mount out of the mounting hole isn't a problem. It's getting the motor mount with the mounting bracket as a unit off the car on the driver side is a problem.
Would you share exactly the method you used to get the motor mounts out?
Old 11-06-16, 08:16 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Would you share exactly the method you used to get the motor mounts out?
You can either (1)disassemble the engine mount from the engine bracket before removing them from the car or (2)orient the whole unit in such a way in order to remove the unit from the car. Option 2 is like playing 3D Tetris in a very confined space. If you are good at it or you get lucky, you won't break a sweat, but, if you are not, be prepare to remove necessary parts to make room. There is no exact method to describe how to play 3D Tetris. You just have to play to know.

Last edited by hyperopt; 11-06-16 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-06-16, 09:04 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

I'm not worried about accessing the motor mount bolts to the engine but I'm wondering how you jacked up the car and elevated the engine? did you jack under the oil pan or use an engine lift?
Old 11-06-16, 04:48 PM
volson
Driver

I'm not worried about accessing the motor mount bolts to the engine but I'm wondering how you jacked up the car and elevated the engine? did you jack under the oil pan or use an engine lift?
have not done motor mounts but do not jack under oil pan
Old 11-07-16, 09:06 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

You're worrying about things that are straight forward. As stated earlier, use an engine hoist and NOT the oil pan - plain & simple. Do it right and don't cut corners!