LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rear rotors cost more than front rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-16, 11:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
The Centric Premium have like a powder coating on the hat to prevent that, I haven't had issues. Usually OEM is better on most parts I agree, but I've had issues with Lexus rotors and a lot of other people have as well. They just seemed to keep warping. And the OP is saying his warped at only 26k miles.

My opinion at least is that when a car starts getting worth like $6,000, it makes sense to find economical alternatives than going to the dealer for all your parts. Some people look at that differently, but if I can find a quality alternative for like 50-80% less than going to a dealership, it's a no brainer for me.
Don't disagree about saving esp. when something gets older, on my Maxima, the first time around I went with OEM. Though they came out of Nissan boxes, they were made in USA. Something was wrong too, I felt. None of the 4 had the hole (1 hole) in the hat to push it off the hub using a bolt, like the ones that came from the car. So after that experience, I started using the cheapest from the 3rd set on. The car had 4 sets altogether over 245k. The last were basically junk @ $28 ea.....black hats which rusted made by Raybestos.....they became really scored in < 1 yr. Akebono pads...those I never compromised on....
Old 11-04-16, 02:34 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Don't disagree about saving esp. when something gets older, on my Maxima, the first time around I went with OEM. Though they came out of Nissan boxes, they were made in USA. Something was wrong too, I felt. None of the 4 had the hole (1 hole) in the hat to push it off the hub using a bolt, like the ones that came from the car. So after that experience, I started using the cheapest from the 3rd set on. The car had 4 sets altogether over 245k. The last were basically junk @ $28 ea.....black hats which rusted made by Raybestos.....they became really scored in < 1 yr. Akebono pads...those I never compromised on....
When I am bringing in my own parts, I need to be somewhat reassured that I won't have any kind of fitment or quality issues, or I will end up paying extra to do the job twice. That is the price of bringing in your own parts to a shop.. If I was doing the work myself (which I no longer can do) I might take a chance if the the savings was significant. Yes, parts for the LS430 can be expensive and I feel for anyone with an UL that needs an door actuator!!!!!!! I have a friend up north with a 2002 UL who had a door actuator issue that found it cheaper to buy a complete door (same color black of his car) and attach the door and change the inside trim than to buy an actuator and install it. He did the work himself. As far as Johnhav430....too bad about your OEM Nissan parts not working out and being made in USA. Be glad they were not made in China!!!!!!!!!!!!. The front OEM Lexus pads I purchased and installed last week had Sumitomo printed on the box. Would that mean the pads were manufactured in Japan or USA? As far as the OEM Lexus rotors, I have no clue where they are manufactured, but I'm sure they are up to Toyota/Lexus specs and should do the job properly. I love to save money, but I also hate to have any kind of aggravation with installs. I've been going this route of paying the extra bucks for that little bit of reassurance and so far since owning my Lexus, no problems. Again, as I posted before...that's me.
Old 11-05-16, 10:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Since photobucket is back, what are those notches on the OEM rotors, and what is the vertical line?

If one were to run their finger on the rust, brake dust and the rust would get smudged, it doesn't appear to be permanent like on cheap rotors....

Name:  1b_zpso2ebqt6z.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  173.3 KB

Name:  2b_zpsxqbxfmo4.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  110.6 KB
Old 11-05-16, 02:01 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Are the notches and vertical line found on both rear brake rotors?
Old 11-05-16, 04:26 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Are the notches and vertical line found on both rear brake rotors?
. Not sure but rears are aftermarket....I can check the old front after markets to see if they have such a notch.....
Old 11-06-16, 09:13 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Does anyone know why there are 5 holes between the holes for the lugs? I take it the 2 small ones are for bolts to press off the hub, but what are the other holes for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-R...-/191799494736
As someone pointed out earlier only one of the 5 extra holes are used to hold the disc on to the hub (using the oem bolt) while you attach the brake assembly. The reason for the 5 holes instead of just one would, I suspect, be to balance the entire disc while it is rotating.
Old 11-06-16, 09:55 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
As someone pointed out earlier only one of the 5 extra holes are used to hold the disc on to the hub (using the oem bolt) while you attach the brake assembly. The reason for the 5 holes instead of just one would, I suspect, be to balance the entire disc while it is rotating.
I agree. The only other reason would be if the rotor was spec'd to be used on some other car with a smaller bolt pattern. I highly doubt that this is the case here though...
Old 11-06-16, 10:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tradosauru
. Ahhhh......so holes are not to,drive a bolt to separate from the hub, but rather locator bolt/retaining screw? I heard they always freeze on Honda's. Really necessary on German cars as there are no lugs.....try positioning the rotor without....good chance of dropping on foot! Btw I think the vertical lines are a reflection from the flash and wheel opening, could not find it this am when looking at the notch....