LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rear main seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 02:43 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Coulter
It's not worth addressing, eventually leaks are going to happen when you get a car that's over 15 years old. You could easily spend more than the car is worth going after every seal. And really, there''s not been so much as a single "drop" of oil that has actually hit the floor yet. I think you have several years left where it's not going to be an issue.

Even if you do get a few drops, it's not the end of the world. Just put a catch pan on your garage floor. My guess is over a year's time you'll only have a a few teaspoons. maybe

I would just embrace that the car is now worth very little money and just drive it as is. In many ways, it's sort of nice driving a car and not worrying about every little detail.

But if you want a perfect car, you're going to have to buy something new with a warranty.
COULTER....I could not have said it better than you! However, psychological issues come into play.. and that's why even lesser issues become important to address. Yes, the car is old and has very little value and many repairs cost close to the value of the car. I am not going to fix any oil leaks at this time. However, if it does leak on the floors, it will be time to make a decision because it affects the value of my home. I will try to keep it going if practical. I'ts a great car, but like an aging person, sometimes life support gets overly expensive.